Home Forums General Discussion & Questions Decoding early model numbers

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    geoffmartin
    BRONZE Member

I’ve recently written the following for a document, but as you can see, there are some gaps… Can anyone here fill those in?

Early models simply used the last two digits of the year in the model number. So, for example, the “Master 38 K”was the 1938 model and the “Master 41 B” was made in 1941.

Later, a three-digit system was used, however, this can be“de- coded” to indicate the year as follows: The first digit is the ten’s-place in the model year, so the “JET 513 K” was made in the 1950s. The one’s-place of the year can be found by subtracting the first number from the second and third. For example, 13 – 5 = 8, therefore the JET 513 K was made in 1958.

Letters

B: Bakelite

CH:

G: Gramophone

K:

R: Radio

S:

Dillen

B: I think this was only used for bakelite models that were also available in a wooden cabinet. At present I can only think of Master 41K/41B

U: Universal (suitable for both DC and AC mains)

CH: Chartol

K: I think is for Kabinet (cabinet housed) – usually with built-in speaker. I believe this is a leftover from when many radios were also available as chassis’ only

S: Used mainly for console models. S could be for Stående (Standing) or solitair

RG: Radiogramophone (radio/gramophone combination)

RGS: Standing Radiogramophone

BRG: Bord-Radiogramophone (tabletop-radiogram)

P: I think is for Papir-isolation (paper-insulated leads – due to WW2 material shortages)

Martin

geoffmartin
        BRONZE Member

Martin to the rescue! Mange tak!

Mvh
          -geoff

matador
            • Paris France

Martin, what is “Chartol”, please?

geoffmartin
            BRONZE Member

Hmmm… my assumption about the “B” designation and your comment made me do a little more digging. We might both be wrong.. For example:

Here’s the Master 41-B “Klangbund” in Bakelite:

000114_22_10_kk_front

But this is a Mini 510-B – definitely not Bakelite…

000125_22_10_kk_front

I’ll have to check tomorrow, but I think that one of the “Byggemøbler” components is a  Type Grand Prix 606 B” which is, of course, wood.

I’m starting to think that B stands for many things. Too bad I can’t find a “A”, which would make the task simpler… 😀

AdamS
              GOLD Member

Looking at the two pictures, ‘B’ could stand for ‘Brown’!

Dillen

In the Master 41 service manual, where the versions B, K , S and RG are covered,
                  the B is mentioned as the model housed in bakelite.
                  Of course there must be another explanation for the 510B etc.

S is mentioned as a “konsolskab” (Skab = cupboard or closet), so a console model.

“Klangbund” is not really a part of the model name.
                  The Klangbund (“Soundboard”) is a type of passive radiator for low frequencies, working on what B&O described as an “elastic pillow” of air between the speaker cone and the radiator.
                  In fact it is the back plate of the receiver, and it’s a (relatively) airtight cover, that will “play along” with the bass (read: deepest notes) using a wall behind the receiver as reflector.

Try listening to it if you get a chance, it actually works.

Martin

artig
                  BRONZE Member

Martin, what is “Chartol”, please?

I’m not Martin, but Chartol (usually spelled Chatol) could be translated as a writing desk, escritoire or secretaire. Usually with lockable compartments and a fold-down or pull-out  writing surface. Often used as a home office before working from home or computers were a ‘thing’.

Dillen

Chatol of course.

Martin

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.