Custom Beogram SP10 Sp12 Sp 14 stylus

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jeremycosta
      • Topics Started 1
      • Total Posts 2

So I’ve finally figured out how to make a custom new stylus for any Beogram that use the Sp Stylus. Essentially the cartridge is now a Ortofon cartridge in a Sp body with a now replaceable stylus. Essentially any Ortofon cartridge that is of the OM range can be used to upgrade from a Sp10,Sp12 or Sp14. I’m considering making them for those of us who don’t want to have to buy old stock that is becoming more scarce as the years go by. Anyway check out some picks. I used a Ortofon omega stylus and cartridge as I like it’s sound and combined it with a Sp10 head shell and cartridge from Bang and Olufsen.IMG_2419IMG_2420IMG_2418IMG_2408IMG_2407

matador
        • Paris France
        • Topics Started 48
        • Total Posts 689

Even if the purist part of me has some reserves, the User part of me scream it’s too good and quite well done aesthetically.

Would you share a little be more on the process to do it?

Thanks.

Jeremycosta
          • Topics Started 1
          • Total Posts 2

There are other ways that I could have made this but it would have lost the aesthetic that makes Beogram so desirable. So i spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to make this possible. Making one is a lengthy process but is a huge money saver n the long run.  I don’t really want to go too in-depth as to how I did it as I would like to eventually make these and sell them and the last thing I want is poor quality imitations to be around that would unintentionally diminish my version and make people weary of purchasing. Having said that, in order to build one I need three things. A Sp shel, cartridge and a Ortofon cartridge with stylus from the OM series. It can be any from the series.  Once I have all those pieces I then disassemble all of them and rebuild them together creating a singular stylus and cartridge that is reusable and will last the lifetime of a Ortofon cartridge. As you can see it fits into the Beogram exactly the same as a original cartridge. It looks exactly the same except housed within the body is a modified Ortofon om and obviously the tip looks like a Ortofon. The cartridge  is sealed in the shell, So you can’t slide out the cartridge. Essentially it’s all one piece, however the tip has the stylus on it is removable and replaceable with any from the om range. So if you want spherical you can have that but if you change your mind, you have only jump online and buy a elliptical or whatever you like. My main focus was playing  my records and not limiting my hours out of fear my stylus would die. I love my sp12. I have a 10,12, and 14 and would much rather save those, however I can safely say the omega Ortofon that I put in (which is kind of a entry level elliptical) sounds so amazing that I may never put the sp12 in again. That, I did not expect at all.

Mark-sf
            • Topics Started 0
            • Total Posts 258

Excellent work. Having done something similar for the Beogram 4002/4 series and GRado Signature carts(which I sold many in the 80’s),  I fully appreciate the time and effort. I am confused by your statement that the cartridge is sealed in the shell as from your pictures you have omitted the cartridge body and its 4 pins that plug into the arm and are only displaying the SP stylus shell. In my case I re-wired the tonearm and built a special socket receptor for the pins. I don’t see any cartridge pins in your pics, hence the question.

Territorial_
              • Topics Started 2
              • Total Posts 4

Oh, i need this! Could you build one for me?

chartz
                • Burgundy
                • Topics Started 3
                • Total Posts 199

Nice idea.

I think overhang is way off though, this can’t be quite right!
                So it certainly looks pretty but technically it isn’t right by quite a margin.

yachadm
                  • Jerusalem
                  • Topics Started 5
                  • Total Posts 13

Very nice idea, but I agree with Chartz –

the overhang is far too long, and does not meet the original specs.

You have a severe problem with the tracking angle.

Shorten the overhang to the original specs, and you may have a winner.

And… where are the connector rods at the rear of the cartridge which insert into the tonearm?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Not too long

Please do not use the website at the moment,

We will be back very soon

This will close in 20 seconds