Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoSound controlling beosound 5 with beo 6

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    boarcastle
    BRONZE Member

Hello to everyone! I am new here and hopefully someone can help me.

Up to recently I used my Beosound 5 without a remote control. Unfortunately I had an accident and now I’m in a wheelchair. To make my life a bit easier I bought a second hand Beo 6 remote control but I have no idea how to connect it to my Beosound 5 and I could not find anything in the manual. Could someone give me step by step instructions how to pair the remote so that I can control my Beosound 5?

Thanks very much in advance.

Stoobie
      GOLD Member

The Beo6 needs to be programmed to work with your BS5.

You could try it in Default mode to test it. Press the red dot button (bottom right) and hold, then press the center button. You will be in the setup menu. Press config, then choose Default. Press store then exit the setup menu using the back button on  screen.

This should allow  you to work the basic IR functions on your BS5. You can also try the WiFi settings while in the setup menu. I don’t have a BS5 so can’t assist there.

To get the full functionality, including the 2-way WiFi connectivity, you will need to get a copy of the Configuration Tool. Members have posted links on here. Don’t forget to put it back into custom mode when you programme it.

If you look here you will see what is possible when it is programmed.

Good luck Stoobie

boarcastle
        BRONZE Member

Thank you Stoobie !

I have found the link of the configuration tool. Unfortunately I have a Mac and I have only found a Windows Version.
          Does anyone know if there is also a version for Mac ?

Stoobie
          GOLD Member

It will only run on Windows. But you should be able to to run a Virtual Machine (VM) on Mac and run windows. It is a fairly  steep learning curve for the VM and the Config tool, but really satisfying when done.

I use this as I have Windows 11 which does not work with my Beo5

https://www.virtualbox.org/

It is free to download and use. My biggest issue was getting the USB connection to work consistently, but once you get your head around that it can be really good fun.

Im not sure if Parralels is still a thing in MacOS but I know VirtualBox works for me on Windows 11.

Stoobie

boarcastle
            BRONZE Member

I will give it a try. Thank you Stoobie. I appreciate your support.

Stoobie
              GOLD Member

Have you tried it in Default mode (as described above) to see if you can get the basic control, while you get to grips with programming? It might not work for the BS5 as it is mire complicated than other B&O music players.

Just don’t forget to put it back to Custom when you begin programming.

Good luck with the virtual machine. are you able to to let us know the software /firmware version of your Beo6 – it will be in the setup menu. That will help us assist with whether you need a 32bit or 64bit virtual machine.

Stoobie

boarcastle
                BRONZE Member

I really managed to install a VM Windows 11 on my Mac and install the configuration tool there. ?

so far so good. Now I need to learn how I can program my Beo 6 with this software.
                  I have version 3.00a on the beo 6.

I have tried it using default mode, but it doesn’t really work.

I keep you updated on my progress. So far it is a steep learning curve for me. ?

Stoobie
                  GOLD Member

You may have discovered already but you you need to tick the Work Offline box when you use the config tool.

Also it is VERY IMPORTANT to note, the Beo6 does not charge very well when connected to the USB on the PC. Make sure it is fully charged before to connect it to the PC. I only connect mine to transfer when I have made a configuration, then disconnect.

Good luck

boarcastle
                    BRONZE Member

? after all the hustle I just noticed that I can’t plug in the cable of the beo 6 Docking Station into my Mac. ?

Stoobie
                      GOLD Member

You need one of these.

61Xcl7LTcpL._AC_SL1500_

Often came with older android smartphones, so you may have one lying about.

Stoobie

boarcastle
                        BRONZE Member

I will buy just an adapter plug. Don’t need the whole cable.
                          I keep you updated. ??

Stoobie
                          GOLD Member

Unfortunately I don’t know anything about parallels.

Take a look here to install the Beo6 driver manually in windows (VM the same hopfully).

https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/13349.aspx

That may help, otherwise try Oracle Virtual Box for free. That is running on my PC now. I have connected my Beo6 and it works fine.

Stoobie

boarcastle
                            BRONZE Member

Unfortunately I don’t get the configuration tool to recognize the Beo 6. ?
                              what am I missing?

IMG_0017

IMG_0018-scaled

Stoobie
                              GOLD Member

You need to make sure the USB settings in the virtual machine (VM) are set up correctly to “feed through”.

Which VM are you using?

Stoobie

boarcastle
                                BRONZE Member

I use parallels. And when I plug the usb in the

computer ask if I want to connect beo 6 to the Mac or windows. I choose obviously windows. So it seems to be set up correctly. ??‍♂️

boarcastle
                                  BRONZE Member

Unfortunately Oracle virtual box does not run on Mac with apple chip, only intel. ?

I will charge the Beo 6 overnight as I read a fully charged battery is important. If that doesn’t work I try your advice with installing the driver manually.
                                    Thank you Stoobie!

Stoobie
                                    GOLD Member

Also, this might help

https://kb.parallels.com/111725

Good luck

Stoobie
                                      GOLD Member

Unfortunately Oracle virtual box does not run on Mac with apple chip, only intel. ?

Ia that M1 or M2 Mac? The latest version of Virtual Box does work on those if you use the Developer preview for macOS/Arm64 (M1/M2) hosts from their download page.

https://www.makeuseof.com/how-to-install-virtualbox-apple-silicon-mac/

You might try that as a last resort!

B3OHACK3R
                                        BRONZE Member

I have my doubts you will be able making it work on a M1/2 Mac.

You have to use a x86 windows host. I guess there is no Beo6 driver for Windows on arm (the one that you install with parallels). So either give it a try with a x86 emulator and a x86 client install (painfully slow) or a dedicated windows machine.

boarcastle
                                          BRONZE Member

@ Stoobie : unfortunately Oracle does not offer this developer preview for Apple M1/M2 for download anymore. They have removed it from their download page. Probably wasn’t really working. ?

@B3OHACK3R
                                            : I guess you are right. I am trying to emulate Windows with UTM on my M1 Mac, but so far I haven’t succeeded to install windows properly. ?

this beo 6 remote is about to frustrate me ?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 41 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.