Connecting BS3000 to BS Core

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    jjcox
      • Topics Started 4
      • Total Posts 20

Hi all,

For the last couple of years, my BS 3000 has been standing lifeless in the room. I’ve got a BS Core connected to the TOSLINK inputs of the BL20’s and that works terrific.

However, I would like to breathe new life into the BS3000; just to be able to play my CD’s again.

Is there a way to connect the BS 3000 to an input on the BS Core? So the schematic would be BL20 – TOSLINK – BS Core – SOMETHING – BS 3000? And of course: with a sound quality on par with a direct connection of the BS 3000 the PowerLink inputs of the BL20’s?

(The PowerLink inputs on the BL20’s are already taken by another device, that’s why I can’t use those for the BS 3000.)

Thanks!

Tignum
        • Netherlands
        • Topics Started 17
        • Total Posts 270

Hi, that SOMETHING is the BeoLink Converter NL/ML aka BLC:

The BeoLink Converter NL/ML is a converter between the Network Link and the Master Link system and makes it possible to integrate Network Link products and Master Link products. Search for BLC on the 2012-2022 archived forum and you will find a lot of info. You will need to find one on the second hand market. Here in the Netherlands they are sold for 200-300 euro. Good luck.

Johan

The BeoLink Converter NL/ML is designed to convert control signals and audio signals between Master Link products and Network Link products. Analog audio signals from products in the Master Link system are converted to digital signals by the BeoLink Converter NL/ML and transferred to the products connected on the Network Link. Digital audio signals from the products on the Network Link are converted to analog signals to products in the Master Link system.

https://support.bang-olufsen.com/hc/en-us/articles/360041404332-Beolink-Converter-NL-ML

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
          • Topics Started 59
          • Total Posts 328

Hi jjcox,

Whilst the NL/ML Converter is an option, you can get great results with a £20 cable, without needing the £650 converter.

This cable will connect from one of the Powerlink outputs of the Beosound 3000 to the 3.5mm line input of your Core:-

https://soundsheavenly.com/music-output/177-2544-powerlink-to-beosound-level-emerge-balance-stage-core-edge-shape-cable-link-your-bo-audio-system-to-your-new-speaker.html#/2-length-1m

Please set the Beosound volume to a high level (50-75%) to give you the full range of volume control from the B&O app.

Alternatively, you can link the Beosound 3000 to the RCA line inputs of the two speakers directly via this cable:-

https://soundsheavenly.com/bang-olufsen/110-329-5-pin-din-to-twin-rca-powerlink-compatible-to-non-bo-hifi-amplifier-receiver-etc-din-to-twin-phono.html#/2-length-1m

(IMPORTANT NOTE: ONLY BEOLAB 5, 17, 18, 19, 20, 28, 50 AND 90 CAN ACCEPT INPUTS FROM MULTIPLE DEVICES AT THE SAME TIME, OTHER SPEAKERS CANNOT DO THIS!)

Kind regards, Steve.

Millemissen
          BRONZE Member
            • Flensborg/Danmark
            • Topics Started 27
            • Total Posts 806

+1 from me too for the use of the converter…..if you want a proper integration.

MM

Kiran
              • Topics Started 12
              • Total Posts 56

NL / ML converter for full integration and control of your BS3000.

Toggle the option to control the Audiomaster instead of the converter itself in the web page settings of the converter to be able to control the BS3000 using the B&O app.

Integrate the converter with the Core to see all the sources for the BS3000 under the BS Core sources.

Happy Days… 👍🏻💯

jjcox
                • Topics Started 4
                • Total Posts 20

Hi all,

I’m sorry for not replying sooner, while you all replied so kindly.

@Steve, if I put the volume of the BS3000 at 75%, wouldn’t it introduce a lot of hiss?

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
                  • Topics Started 59
                  • Total Posts 328

Hi,

No, that should not cause any hiss from the Beosound.

Kind regards, Steve.

jjcox
                    • Topics Started 4
                    • Total Posts 20

Well, I found a used NL/ML converter. The idea of full integration sounds good to me, especially if I’ll be able to use my Beo4 to turn the whole system off. My wife would like that a lot, because she’s really not at ease with the apps on the phone.

Sadly, I don’t have a clue where I left my Masterlink cable, but I’m sure I’ll find it back somewhere. And after that, I’ll have to fix the glass doors on my BS3000 (because they stick, like so many of them), but at least I won’t have to be bored.

I’m ready to keep 30 year old design beauty alive, oh yeah :-).

jjcox
                      • Topics Started 4
                      • Total Posts 20

Hi again,

I hope someone can help me out. I got the converter and bought a ML cable. So I should be all set. But I’m getting lost in configuring it all. While it should be pretty straight forward.

What I have is this:

BeoSound 3000 — [ML cable] — NL/ML converter — [UTP cable] — Switch —[UTP cable] —BeoSound Core — BeoLab 20

I’d like to be able to control it all via the B&O app and preferably also the Beo4.

But how should I set the BS3000 (option 0, 1 or 2), the NL/ML converter (A master, V master, AV master, slave, etc.) and maybe the Core?

I have managed to control the BS3000 through the B&O app (the CD starts spinning) but I don’t get any sound to the speakers (which are connected to the Core). So commands are issued to the BS3000. Commands are also coming back I think, because on the B&O app it shows the track number which is playing.

However, sound doesn’t seem to come back.

I do have the reference manual of the NL/ML converter, but I haven’t managed to find the right configuration yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
                      Joeri

Carolpa
                        • Topics Started 8
                        • Total Posts 196

BLC

• BLC set to A.Slave
                        • Experience mapped to NL: check the BS3000 sources
                        • note: you can change the name of a source also (for example CD to BS3000 CD)
                        • Note confirm the steps with pushing the Store button.
                        • Note: you can give it its own name: set Friendly name in NL

Core

• goto Core configuration pages
                        • choose: setup – link to other product – set primary to the BLC (= Friendly name in NL)
                        • press button connect

Play a BS3000 source:

• start the app
                        • choose Core
                        • click black bar with Core (above Home)
                        • choose the three dots
                        • select the BS3000 CD

now the CD from the 3000 should start to play on the BL20 connected to your Core

jjcox
                          • Topics Started 4
                          • Total Posts 20

Hi Carolpa,

Thank you so much for your elaborate advice! Following your steps, I got it working.

Would it also be possible to use the Beo4 to control the volume? Right now, I can switch tracks with the Beo4, but for volume I have to revert to the B&O app.

Thanks again!

Joeri

Carolpa
                            • Topics Started 8
                            • Total Posts 196

Hi Carolpa, Thank you so much for your elaborate advice! Following your steps, I got it working. Would it also be possible to use the Beo4 to control the volume? Right now, I can switch tracks with the Beo4, but for volume I have to revert to the B&O app. Thanks again! Joeri

The volume command given is processed by the BS3000. But the speakers are connected to the Core. So this is normal behaviour. If you have the correct Core you can connect an IR-eye. Then it should be possible to use the Beo4 for volume control.

But be aware: then you must set the BS3000 in option 0 otherwise you could end up in a mess with controlling the system.

jjcox
                              • Topics Started 4
                              • Total Posts 20

Hi, thanks again!

I think I’m going to try to find a Beoremote 1 BT. If I am correct, with that I should be able to control everything. In the end that’s what I’m after: back to the full integration that I once had.

The only thing missing then is the TV, since I sold my BV7 and got an LG instead. Sadly, the LG is one generation too old to be able to be controlled by the BR1 BT. But if at least the music is fully integrated again, I’m happy.

Again, thanks for all your help. It was invaluable.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Not too long

Please do not use the website at the moment,

We will be back very soon

This will close in 20 seconds