Connecting Beogram 9000 to BL 28’s

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Redstones
      • Topics Started 3
      • Total Posts 6

I have just taken delivery of a pair of BL 28’s to update my BL 20’s.

so far I am very impressed with the sound. Using Deezer Hi Fi.
      Good  bright and  detailed sound with good bass. Much improved on the BL 20’s especially at lower volume.

My Beogram is connected via a pre amp to my old Moment through line in, and then to the BL28’s via Beolink

The sound from the Beogram sounds dull in comparison to the same track streaming direct through the BL28’s with the moment switched off.

Is there a way to connect the Beogram to the BL 28’s without using the Moment?

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
        • Topics Started 59
        • Total Posts 328

Hi,

Yes, I can help. I am away on vacation until Tuesday, but the item in the link below will be available when I return to give a direct connection to the primary Beolab 28 speaker.

As this Beogram  doesn’t have a pre-amp, you will need this pre-amp kit, which comes with all cables needed and full instructions, ready to “plug and play”:-

https://soundsheavenly.com/beogram-record-players/12-2196-pre-amp-bundle-for-bo-beogram-and-all-turntables.html#/36-output-5_pin_din_aux/41-power_supply-uk – please choose the “3.5mm TRS plugs” output option for your speaker

Kind regards Steve.

geoffmartin
          • Topics Started 3
          • Total Posts 82

I’m a little confused about the initial problem.

Are you comparing the sound of a song

• played from Deezer on a Moment connected to the BL28s
            to
          • played from vinyl played on a Beogram 9000 via a RIAA preamp through the Moment connected to the BL28s

?

If “yes”, then the difference in spectral balance is most likely to be caused by (in order of probability)

• different masterings of the track (Deezer vs. vinyl)
          • wear on the stylus
          • weirdness in the RIAA filter’s magnitude response curve

Of course, there’s nothing wrong with connecting the RIAA output directly to the BL28s Line Input, since the fewer devices in an audio chain, the better (generally speaking…), but I doubt that this will make a big change in overall timbre that you’re describing.

If “no” then never mind… 🙂

Cheers
          -g

Redstones
            • Topics Started 3
            • Total Posts 6

Thank you for your feedback.

I am comparing as follows:

A song from a specific remastered recording that I have on a new Vinyl,  and on my Deezer HiFi account.

played from Deezer HiFi directly through  BL28s – (Moment is Standby)
            to
            played from vinyl played on a Beogram 9000 via a RIAA preamp through the Moment connected to the BL28s

The difference was quite dramatic. I will check the stylus, its an MMC 1

Mark-sf
              • Topics Started 0
              • Total Posts 258

First, which RIAA preamp are you using?  I would definitely try a direct connection to the line in of your BL28’s bypassing the Moment.

Redstones
                • Topics Started 3
                • Total Posts 6

Apologies, I have checked for the preamp type and realised that I switched out my Beogram 9000 for a Beogram 3500 a few years ago. The Beogram 3500 has a built in pre amp, so the Beogram is connected directly to the Moment.

Mark-sf
                  • Topics Started 0
                  • Total Posts 258

To do a fair comparison I would still connect the 3500 directly to the 28s.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.