Compatible replacements for MCL 2 Expander Type 2008

Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoLink Compatible replacements for MCL 2 Expander Type 2008

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    markg2000
    GOLD Member
      • Topics Started 4
      • Total Posts 9

I am looking for confirmation that the MCL 2ABLI and MCL 2AV are compatible replacements for the original MCL2 Expander Type: 2008. I assume both the MCL 2ABLI and MCL 2AV use the same wiring as the original MCL2 Expander Type: 2008 and these two newer models are backwards compatible with the MCL 2A Type: 2046 boxes. (BeoSystem 5500 system)

Madskp
      GOLD Member
        • Denmark
        • Topics Started 35
        • Total Posts 833

The MCL 2ABLI and MCL 2AV are both compatible with other MCL 2 equipment.

However non of them will work as replacements for the MCL2 Expander as they do not have the circitry for amplifiying the data signal and supplying power to the MCL units after the expander.

If you are not able to find a expander replacement you could look into alternative options depending on how many link rooms you have and how easy it is to do new cabling in your home.

The BM5500 can be connected to Masterlink link room products with the addition of a Beolink Converter 1611 or 1612

markg2000
        GOLD Member
          • Topics Started 4
          • Total Posts 9

Thank you, Madskp for pointing me in the right direction. I have four MCL 2A Type 2046 boxes connected to 7 speaker pairs. I just ordered a used MCL 2 Expander Type 2007 from Quality Dream Audio in the UK. Hopefully it will arrive in working order. I’ll be on the lookout for one or two more of these devices as backups. It’s good to know that the BM5500 can be connected with a Beolink Converter 1611 or 1612. I’ll research these products in the event that I have to use this alternative solution. Again, thank you for taking time to help me.

markg2000
          GOLD Member
            • Topics Started 4
            • Total Posts 9

Good observation, I incorrectly said there are “four MCL 2A Type 2046 boxes connected to 7 speaker pairs.” Actually, there are seven MCL 2A Type 2046 boxes connected to 7 speaker pairs.

Madskp
            GOLD Member
              • Denmark
              • Topics Started 35
              • Total Posts 833

Good observation, I incorrectly said there are “four MCL 2A Type 2046 boxes connected to 7 speaker pairs.” Actually, there are seven MCL 2A Type 2046 boxes connected to 7 speaker pairs.

ok that makes sense

Madskp
              GOLD Member
                • Denmark
                • Topics Started 35
                • Total Posts 833

I have four MCL 2A Type 2046 boxes connected to 7 speaker pairs

Just out of curiosity do you need the Expander when you only have four MCL 2A? The system Manual 89-90 states that yoo need it above four link rooms and/or if the cable lengt exceeds 500 feet

Skærmbillede 2023-12-19 kl. 08.05.00

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoLink Compatible replacements for MCL 2 Expander Type 2008

• You must be logged in to create new topics.