Changing fabric on Beovox S120

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Mark2000
    BRONZE Member

My 2400s were shipped to me damaged years ago. Recent I thought I might like to replace the fabric on the outer covers. At first I thought poking these little holes might pop the plastic sandwiching the fabric off one another, but I’m not sure that’s the case. Anyone know how to preform this surgery? Do you need to remove the metal frame? If so, how? I’d love to have intact speaker fronts for once. Thanks!

A969CD3B-E2A1-4FFF-88D1-F07DB0517193F62F0FBF-6CB7-4104-A9AD-B7B69FE8DA09

• This topic was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by Mark2000.
      Dillen
      FOUNDER Member

The fabric is held by the alu trim. You can ease the trim out carefully.

And they don’t look like Beovox 2400.

Martin

Mark2000
        BRONZE Member

My mistake, I got confused with my beomaster. They are S120s. So, I get the fabric out from between the metal and the plastic. How do I get new fabric back in?

Dillen
          FOUNDER Member

You get the new fabric in the same way. Pressed in using the alu trim.

Clever? Yes.
            Elegant? Yes.
            Easy? No.

I have had a little success first glueing the new fabric in to the ridge on one side,
            then, when set, work to the opposite side etc. and fit the alu trim last.

Martin

Mark2000
            BRONZE Member

Ok. Let me see if I understand…

Pull the fabric out from between the metal and the plastic. That frees the metal trim and let’s you take it off completely

Glue on new fabric to the edge

Replace the metal trim on top of that.

Did I get that right?

Dillen
              FOUNDER Member

No. First take off the alu trim. The cloth is held in the ridge for the alu trim.

Martin

sonavor
                BRONZE Member

I have a post on the old version of the forum that shows doing that.
                  I will try and find it and post the link.
                  You have to be very careful with the aluminum trim and just bend it a minimum amount to release it.  Otherwise, bending out straight will most likely cause the trim to break off at the bend seam.

-sonavor

sonavor
                  BRONZE Member

Here is a link to the page on the old forum.
                    It was on a post I did restoring some Beovox MS-150 speakers.  They are larger but have the same cabinet/grill design as the S120’s.
                    The photos – beovox_ms150_grill_00.jpg, beovox_ms150_grill_01.jpg, beovox_ms150_grill_02.jpg and beovox_ms150_grill_03.jpg show the different stages of the grill disassembly.

The disassembled photo at the end shows the successful removal of the aluminum trim with it still intact.

-sonavor

Mark2000
                    BRONZE Member

Wow, Sonavor. Thank you for the images. I really understand the process now. We’re you able to bend the aluminum back to the original shape? I would image it would never go completely back.

sonavor
                      BRONZE Member

Yes, as Martin mentioned earlier, the aluminum frame piece wedges the grill cloth in place.  They should fit nice and snug in the plastic frame just like the original was.

-sonavor

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.