BS3000 – CD rotation stopped

Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoSound BS3000 – CD rotation stopped

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Londonsteve
    BRONZE Member
      • Topics Started 1
      • Total Posts 3

Hi all, newbie here but long time B&O fan. I recently acquired a nice Beosound 3000 which worked fine for 3-4 hours (not in one go), then mid-way through playing a CD it stopped and now the disc won’t rotate when you press play. I’ve tried it with a variety of CDs but it’s the same in every case. You can see the laser do a little dance as it tries to (successfully?) focus on the disc, but the spindle won’t rotate.

I doubt there’s anything wrong with the laser itself as it was playing a variety of discs perfectly, included a fairly scratched CD-R. It quickly found track 1 and would jump instantly between tracks, then ‘boom’, it just died.

I’d be grateful for any advice as to the potential problem from those more experienced than I. I’ve had Ouvertures and the Century apart before and I’ve got a few Philips CDM 12-type transports stored away, some with duff lasers and others that exhibited the same refusal to turn the disc.

Should I just go ahead and replace the drive motor in this BS3000 with one from a CDM 12 I know that works? Alternatively, if I can source a parts donor unit which one would have the same CD transport as my 3000 small clamper (I think this makes it a Mk.1?) that I could just swap over?

I’m not an electronics engineer and I’ve no ability to do things like test components, swap caps, etc. I can however change things over as a module. Maybe as I go deeper into the hobby I’ll acquire some actual electronics knowledge too!

Thanks all for your advice.

matador
        • Paris France
        • Topics Started 47
        • Total Posts 730

Had this once. Somebody replied with the “boot” sequence of a CD Mechanism. In short as far as I recall, if the laser don’t focus the motor will not spin.

The best technique to perform a deep clean is to do a search on this very same forum!

Tell us how it went.

Londonsteve
        BRONZE Member
          • Topics Started 1
          • Total Posts 3

So the laser may in fact have failed suddenly and it’s not more likely to be the spindle motor?

What technique would you advise to perform a deep clean on the laser?

matador
            • Paris France
            • Topics Started 47
            • Total Posts 730

then ‘boom’, it just died.

that’s the way death happens: it’s alive and then ‘boom’, it’s dead!

Try a deep clean of the lens first, in the process look at the eye reference and then report.

Londonsteve
            BRONZE Member
              • Topics Started 1
              • Total Posts 3

So, when I came to look at this unit, I discovered it was working perfectly again. It has now played for hours without fault! It appears I’m looking at an intermittent fault. Has anyone seen something like this before?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoSound BS3000 – CD rotation stopped

• You must be logged in to create new topics.