B&O NFT collection

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Steph
    BRONZE Member
      Millemissen
      GOLD Member
        • Flensborg/Danmark

Oh well, maybe I just do not understand it?

I thought that the core capabilities of the company/Bang & Olufsen are Sound, Design & Craftsmanship.

Seems there is more 🙄

MM

Mr10Percent
        BRONZE Member

Oh well, maybe I just do not understand it? I thought that the core capabilities of the company/Bang & Olufsen are Sound, Design & Craftsmanship. Seems there is more 🙄 MM

well add-on the next generation of financial ponzi…..the NFT to the list

Mbee
          BRONZE Member

What’s this thing?

Attachments:
            You must be logged in to view attached files.
            kuyttendaele
            BRONZE Member

Who signed off on this?
              If you are a cash bloated company where marketing has some spear headcount… yeah whatever.
              But B&O? In survival modus, squizing every DK/Euro/Dollar into making descent products. Scrapping a product (Emerge) so it’s components can be used into other products, products who still have software issues… And now this NFT thing stuff?

I need to know what kind of wheed they’re smoking in Struer!

beojeff
              BRONZE Member

I feel a sense of being rather offended. It’s as if someone at B&O brainstormed and pitched the proposal, “Hey. Our customers have no common sense and like spending way too much money. They have cash to burn. So let’s get EVEN MORE of their money by having them spend it on something that doesn’t even exist!”

Tignum
                BRONZE Member
                  • Netherlands

Would this be: ‘target marketing at High Net Worth individuals’?

beojeff
                  BRONZE Member

Perhaps next we’ll be seeing B&O asking us to put money into a Kickstarter for them to develop a Beosound Moment MK2.

trackbeo
                    BRONZE Member

What’s this thing?

It’s the love child of a Level and the Balenciaga bag. I think that’s 100% digital art, from the B&O design studio as artist, vs. the third-party artists.  By the way, it offends me when websites don’t let casual non-logged-in users see pictures, so here it is as an image and not a hidden attached-file as @Mbee posted: 3C6E422A-F253-4720-8CE1-090C7CBFE398

So you have to join B&O’s Discord, to get an “allow” to bid for an NFT, using your third-party Ethereum coins (and having loaded a browser plug-in to manipulate your wallet)… which NFT, when minted, will be a randomized grouping of product & surfaces…  That’s a lot of steps to get into the nightclub with ~2000 others.  As I read it, the only physical manifestation they have committed to produce — which your NFT “allow” you to purchase — is a Skiniplay cover for the A9, showing the art in static form.  (“some” art?  your specific NFT art?  they say limited edition which implies a production run and not custom-per-single-user NFT)

To @kuyttendaele who wondered why survival mode could countenance this: It’s free money for selling ideas, kind of like software was viewed in the 1980s, and unlike software, there’s no post-sale customer support:  The work is all done by third parties, from the currency to the art, even to the physical production ultimately farmed out.  (For now, anyway.)  All B&O need is a contract giving them absolute yes/no editorial control — and one young, low-paid, but fashionista employee to run the thing.  Makes the design staff happy too, if their ideas are picked up as that particular art channel. It’s good advertising, and maybe even buzz for the youth market, even if the youths don’t want or get out-bid on the NFTs.

[Edit: Since the B&O NFT web page first linked above itself has a broken link to the HighSnobiety article, here it is.  They include an explanatory P.R. quote from Christoffer Poulsen: https://www.highsnobiety.com/p/bang-and-olufsen-nft-collection/ ]

matador
                        • Paris France

By the way, it offends me when websites don’t let casual non-logged-in users see pictures

Don’t let yourself be offended: this is a know issue that will be addressed when the voluntary guy running Beoworld will have time to sort this. In the meantime it’s possible to every member to add a simple picture as an image (with the picture button in the post compose window) and not an attachement for everyone to see it.

trackbeo
                        BRONZE Member

[[O.T. @matador, but I said that just to remind regular users to click the picture button!  The offensive are other forums (automotive) that thumbnail *all* pictures except to members.  (Oh, and also I thought that particular photo should be visible to non-members.  If it were, e.g, someone’s living room with daisy wallpaper or tightly-placed sofas, I would not “out” their choice to make it a members-only attachment.)  Some people just want to browse & don’t want to login.  Likewise my shading language about B&O’s Discord: I don’t want to “create a relationship” by giving my data to get to see (==join) a discord.  Related, it’s kind of a bummer that @Mikipedia decided to roll his own (which I don’t get to lurk/see) rather than participating here after the reboot.]]

Peter the Biker
                          BRONZE Member
                            • Eastwestfalia

Do you remember the outcry around the world, as B&O produced a bottle opener? The designer should not have waisted so much time for a me-too-product. There were enough bottle openers in the market.

SCNR (Sorry, could not resist) 😉

Millemissen
                            GOLD Member
                              • Flensborg/Danmark

Do you remember the outcry around the world, as B&O produced a bottle opener? The designer should not have waisted so much time for a me-too-product. There were enough bottle openers in the market. SCNR (Sorry, could not resist) 😉

————

The B&O bottle opener was made by Holger Krogh – who worked in the production in Struer – just for fun…….one might say that he also was the designer!

Afterwards it was decided to make more of them – a nice ‘take-away’, when visitors were at the factory, by the way.
                              So why not package it and let the dealers give them to their costumers.

Probably this has cost the company very little – apart from the 50 DKK that Holger became from B&O back in 1937.

MM

AdamS
                              BRONZE Member

I clicked the link and started reading it – I’ll be perfectly honest, I don’t understand a word of it.

Can anyone explain it to a simple engineer in plain English, without phrases like “to launch us into the Metaverse and provide token-gated access to future exclusive Bang & Olufsen products and experiences.”

Thanks!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by AdamS.
                                Glitch
                                BRONZE Member

Aren’t NFT’s the modern way of doing this?  😉

cigar_money_burn

I’d rather have the bottle opener.

Glitch

matador
                                    • Paris France

My two cents…

NFTs are not for us. Period.

C’mon guys, where all dealing with any capacitor value shortage or Beoparts.com life expectancy to keep alive a beomaster that is an energy consumption nightmare (I would like my english level allows me a more scaring wording…) Bt lets be realistic, we are all dinosaurs   and some of us are T-rex (Square 5, who takes it all) but we’re all close to die.

That said, we love the brand, some for a simple Beosound A1, others for the history of it and others for someone else that live through the BV harmony or the BS theater or even  the recreation of beograms (that are dreams for many of us I believe).

SO.

That NFT thing is B**** sh***t to me too. I can provide you any B&O 3D animated gif for free.

BUT

If it’s a way to keep the brand alive because it as to live with it’s life, then… OK

We all know what B&O is. Let’s be friendly and educate those who don’t go to Bose or Devialet and will end up asking for help to infuse sinter bearings…

Glitch
                                    BRONZE Member

My interpretation is that most of the negative comments on this topic are based on people really caring about the company. When they see something heading in the wrong direction (from their point of view), they get upset.

I don’t know how NFT’s will play out over time. There have already been documented cases of NFT’s being outright fraud. Many believe that NFT’s are based on the Greater Fool Theory. I’m a bit less jaded and put them in the category of conspicuous consumption.

Regardless of the where NFT’s are heading, it is the effect that they could have on a company’s reputation that concerns me. These newly issued NFT’s are likely to be as legitimate as a NFT can be. However, if enough of the NFT’s issued by other sources go bad, then B&O will be guilty by association. In business, reputation is everything, and should be fostered and defended vigorously. It is surprising to me that B&O would take a risk like this.

Ultimately, I think that how this is viewed will depend on the issue price. If the prices are low, and the B&O NFT’s are viewed like fun little tchotchkes, then it is a cool marketing ploy. If they are offered at investment level pricing, then the reputation risk goes up.

Glitch

9_LEE
                                        • Eastbourne England

‘Art’ NFT’s – a bubble which has only half inflated and hasn’t even got the energy to burst itself…

Please don’t confuse these with ‘real case’ NFT’s which will come when we fully adopt Blockchain technology.

Probably a bit deep, but to me this is all rubbish to potentially show off in the Metaverse (which I can’t see being a game-changer) and it’ll all be faked and copied anyway, making these ‘official’ NFT’s an expensive mistake.

Still… B&O are trying to be hip, which is at least an effort. 🙂

Peter the Biker
                                        BRONZE Member
                                          • Eastwestfalia

Best case I hope for B&O is that they get some bucks for the virtual Bang. But I am glad that I have two bottle openers, one for show and one for opening bottles while watching TV/movies or listening to audios via BS Theatre and 9000 …

Millemissen
                                          GOLD Member
                                            • Flensborg/Danmark

I want a virtual bottle opener…..to open my virtual beer.

M🍺M

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.