BM3500 / BM4500 similarity

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Llurkio
      • Topics Started 7
      • Total Posts 22

Hi everyone, A quick question followed by the reason.

Is the only difference between a BM3500 and a BM4500 cosmetic ?

I aquired a cheap BM4500 a few months ago, it had a fault with the FM/MW tuning board and another problem I’m struggling to trace, but it in beautiful condition, then I had the option of buying a BM3500 for next to nothing – in very poor condition, the glass control panel is missing (presumably broken) but everything appears to work perfectly, my plan is to transfer the ‘guts’ of the BM3500 into the BM4500 case. I would have to use the glass control panel of the BM4500, but they look identical – thoughts anyone, especially about the EPROM – what if “CODE” comes up, is this then an automatic scrapper ?

(And before anyone says just put the lid and control panel on the BM3500 – it doesn’t have the nice white sides of the BM4500).

Tim

Dillen
        • Topics Started 4
        • Total Posts 389

Beomaster 3500 has no timer functions and it doesn’t support two-way remote control.

Martin

Llurkio
          • Topics Started 7
          • Total Posts 22

I suppose the obvious question then is, will the BM3500 work using the BM4500 glass control panel – despite the loss of the timer functiom ?

Tim

Glitch
            • Topics Started 18
            • Total Posts 267

You might be able to figure out some compatibility information by looking at the part numbers listed in the service manuals. I haven’t done this for the Beomasters that you have listed, but have done it for some other ones.

Glitch

Llurkio
              • Topics Started 7
              • Total Posts 22

The control PCBs were found to be identical (the 3500 even had a timer pin – complete with griplet – I think that’s what they’re called), I put the 4500 glass control panel on and every thing appeared to work, I can mange without the timer – I’d never use it anyway.

I gave the 3500 a really good clean inside (it needed it) along with the 4500 nice shiny lid and I may colour the sides white (somehow).

So I have a good working 3500 dressed as a 4500 !

There will an advert soon, a non-working, not complete BM4500 for sale – no glass panel, with a 3500 ‘lid’, with a couple of faults – it may be useful to someone.

Stoobie
                • Topics Started 9
                • Total Posts 91

Llurkio,

One way to “colour” the unit would be to use white fablon (sticky back plastic). If you make sure the surface you apply it to is clean and no dust etc it will go on smoothly. I would make a template, cut the fablon slightly bigger and then you can carefully trim with a sharp craft knife. Added bonus is it is reversible.

I did this to change a black LX6000 TV to white and it looked awesome. I have also used a mirror finish fablon on the  side of my Beocom 6000 pyramid base and on my Lintronic box. They look good too.

Stoobie

Llurkio
                  • Topics Started 7
                  • Total Posts 22

Great minds think alike Stoobie, the sticky back plastic is already on order !

(I like the mirror finish idea, that could look good too ).

Tim

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Not too long

Please do not use the website at the moment,

We will be back very soon

This will close in 20 seconds