BL8000 starts in green and hum

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Pindsen
      • Denmark
      • Topics Started 17
      • Total Posts 55

I am looking at an Beolab 8000 which puzzle me.

There are no audio cable connected, when AC power is turned on it starts with green LED and hum – I would expect red LED and no hum.
      There are GND connection from audio connector to PCB2 connector P4-3.
      Apprently is picks up noise internally, but where from?
      Any idea what that could be?

/Pindsen

KolfMAKER
        • The Netherlands
        • Topics Started 36
        • Total Posts 209

Did you connect a Powerlink or RCA cable to one of the connectors?

what do you see and hear when you do that?

Pindsen
          • Denmark
          • Topics Started 17
          • Total Posts 55

No I tried without any audio cable because that to me should be a good starting point where I would expect red LED and total silence.

If I apply a powerlink cable it is more or less the same with green LED and around same hum, but if I apply an RCA cable the hum gets a lot higher.

Pindsen
            • Denmark
            • Topics Started 17
            • Total Posts 55

I have discovered that if the outer aluminium part is being touched it increases the hum. My assumption is that the aluminium part is/or should be “grounded” to the amplifier via the six screws?

Another discovery is that when doing a short circuit of the RCA input the noise in the RCA switch selection lowers to nearly nothing.

I have tried to see if the internal cabling is correct, and it seems like. It though wonders me why the audio cable runs directly under the transformer.

Pindsen
              • Denmark
              • Topics Started 17
              • Total Posts 55

Okay, to finish up my own thread 🙂 my conclusion is now that there did not exist a proper connection between aluminium part and amplifier despite being screwed together. I noticed that the screws are some kind of black CED coated, and by working the screws back and forth several times the hum disappeared and the speaker now works as it should.

sprockett
                • Topics Started 3
                • Total Posts 7

I noticed the same behaviour with BL6000.

Basically, when you are in LINE IN mode,  you NEED to have everything terminated properly, even if there is no RCA plugged in.

For my case, by BL6000 needs to be have Line-in RCA plugged in to the source using a cable, before everything is silent. If you don’t want to plug anything in, you need to short the input via a terminating plug.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Not too long

Please do not use the website at the moment,

We will be back very soon

This will close in 20 seconds