Besound 4000 replacement cables / Light Stays On & CD won’t play

Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoSound Besound 4000 replacement cables / Light Stays On & CD won’t play

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    mojofml
    BRONZE Member
      • Topics Started 7
      • Total Posts 24

Hello,

New to B&O products, but have inherited a Beosound 4000 however without the cables. Hoping someone with the knowledge can help advise on below:

1. Based on my research I would need the Power Link MKIII cables that would connect the main to the speakers. Is this correct? Do you have a vendor you would recommend (online, or locally in Hong Kong would be great).
      2. For the power to the main, can I use a generic figure 8 adapter cable, something like this? https://www.amazon.com/PlatinumPower-Olufsen-BeoPlay-Bluetooth-Speaker/dp/B074FDH5D4 (note: i noticed that plug shape on the main, 1 end of the “8” is round the other is flat)
      3. My Beosound 4000 is 120v, i’m now in Asia which runs on 220-240v, for audio systems can I run a regular 500w transformer, or does it require any sort of special transformers for audio systems? On paper the main is 39w and each speaker is less than 100w.
      4. Each speaker has a power cable that plugs into the wall socket, but I thought the Power Link already provides power, or do I still need to plug in the separate power cable from the speaker to the wall socket?

Just for reference, this is the set that I have: https://www.mutualart.com/Artwork/Beosound-Ouverture-CD-and-Cassette-Playe/F6AC17ED39761059

Appreciate the help in advance, thank you!

Regards,
      Mojo

Tignum
      GOLD Member
        • Netherlands
        • Topics Started 8
        • Total Posts 377

Hi mojofml,

Nice system! Let’s see if we can help.

1. Powerlink Mk 3 will be fine, see the site sponsor’s website here http://www.soundsheavenly.com/faq/guide-various-types-powerlink-cable-bang-olufsen-use/. Steve can sell you correct cables. Ask him for any doubt!
        Note that the BeoLab 6000 speakers have two PowerLink sockets. They allow you to daisychain them

2. That should be fine, the B&O products take ‘C7’ cables, these will fit also when the cable has the two round ends side by side

3. Sounds good enough

4. Correct, the amps of BeoLab speakers need their own power supply cables. PowerLink cables carry both L&R audio signal, as well as the signal to switch on/off the speakers. But not the power for the built in amps of the BeoLab 6000 speakers

Hope this helps a bit.
        Let us know how you progress and enjoy the system!
        Johan

mojofml
        BRONZE Member
          • Topics Started 7
          • Total Posts 24

Hi Johan,

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide such a helpful response! Greatly appreciate, will definitely circle back once I manage to get it up and running.

I have 2 additional questions please:

1. This might be a stupid question – I see that the label on the main specifically states “120v~”. However, most of the voltage transformers that I’ve come across are rated 100v and 110v (such as this https://www.yohohongkong.com/product/9753-Super-CT-1000-1000W-%E5%96%AE%E5%90%91%E8%AE%8A%E5%A3%93%E5%99%A8). I recall that usually, electronics from North America (which is where my Beosound4000 is from) would support a range of 110-120v. Must the transformer have a 120v out?
          2. Is there a way to have my TV audio output through my B&O system? My Samsung LCD smart tv only has HDMI (ARC), I don’t see any other output available.

Thanks again!

Regards,

Mojo

Tignum
          GOLD Member
            • Netherlands
            • Topics Started 8
            • Total Posts 377

Hello mojo,

I hope a US member can answer your voltage question, I cannot tell.

The BeoSound 4000 for sure cannot handle HDMI signals. But there should be other options using its analog AUX input. Are you sure your TV has no Toslink optical out? If it does you would only need a little converter and the right cables (Steve has those too) to bring the TV sound into your 4000.

Regards, Johan

mojofml
            BRONZE Member
              • Topics Started 7
              • Total Posts 24

I’ve managed to get the transformer and cables from Steve, thanks again for your help!

In case anyone had the same question as me, while the transformer only states 110v output, it still works fine with the unit which states 120v.

I did notice another problem though. Once I plug the power to my Beosound 4000, the light stays on, and also the CD player won’t play (the CD won’t spin). The loading/unloading works fine, and the glass opens/close as normal. Any ideas please?

**Edit: Sorry I should’ve did a search prior to posting this but I was in a bit of panic 😀
              It seems this is a bit of a common issue and there are many videos online talking about this and the way to fix it. Looks like I can source the rubber and replace it without too much difficulty!

I have another problem. Having started listening to music for about 15 min or so, I started hearing some buzzing noise out of the speakers. These haven’t been used for a long time, see the pics below I don’t know how to describe the part, but i’m guessing the rubber had dried up or something and it started to fall off. Is this self-repairable, or what can I do for this? hoping for some good news, thanks!

https://postimg.cc/cgf1FXBj

https://postimg.cc/9wpmh0SY

matador
                • Paris France
                • Topics Started 49
                • Total Posts 747
                Hi mojofml,

Looks like I can source the rubber and replace it without too much difficulty!

The rubber, “belt” if thats what you meaning as nothing to do with the symptoms you describe. If the CD load/unload but dont spin it’s more likely a faulty laser eye. Plenty of information about this on the old forum (search for “laser faulty” or similar since it something relvant for many beosound systems from ouverture to 9000).

I’m guessing the rubber had dried up or something and it started to fall off. Is this self-repairable, or what can I do for this? hoping for some good news, thanks!

Another common issue with beolabs 6000, the rubber surround falling appart. It’s a common repair for whoever has those speakers. Can be by yourself but depending on your skills, it can range from easy to nightmare. I consider myself as a handy and caring person but replacing surrounds on 6000’s woofer was not a sweet experience. Nevertheless, plenty of tutorials around, quite cheap repair and all in all, easy.

Good luck.

mojofml
                BRONZE Member
                  • Topics Started 7
                  • Total Posts 24
                  HI there,
                  Thanks for your reply. Sorry my post got a bit confusing, because I posted a question but then I managed find the answer shortly after. The rubber I mentioned was referring to the rubber surround for the woofer, which i’ve figured out and am eagerly waiting for the part to arrive! Will definitely familiarize with the available videos.
                  Noted on the faulty laser, will look that up, thanks!
                  Hi mojofml,

Looks like I can source the rubber and replace it without too much difficulty!

The rubber, “belt” if thats what you meaning as nothing to do with the symptoms you describe. If the CD load/unload but dont spin it’s more likely a faulty laser eye. Plenty of information about this on the old forum (search for “laser faulty” or similar since it something relvant for many beosound systems from ouverture to 9000).

I’m guessing the rubber had dried up or something and it started to fall off. Is this self-repairable, or what can I do for this? hoping for some good news, thanks!

Another common issue with beolabs 6000, the rubber surround falling appart. It’s a common repair for whoever has those speakers. Can be by yourself but depending on your skills, it can range from easy to nightmare. I consider myself as a handy and caring person but replacing surrounds on 6000’s woofer was not a sweet experience. Nevertheless, plenty of tutorials around, quite cheap repair and all in all, easy. Good luck.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.