Beovox s45-2 Woofers

Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Home Forums For Sale & Wanted Private Wanted Beovox s45-2 Woofers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Pommeyard
    BRONZE Member
      • Topics Started 1
      • Total Posts 3

Hello! New to the forum and nice to be here.

I’ve just acquired a pair of B&O S45-2 speakers, (paired with a lovely Beomaster 2200), which unfortunately have two non-working bass drivers.  It seems that they’ve been a victim of the magnets issue which I know is quite common, meaning there is no free movement in the cones at all. I’m assuming there will be damage to the voice coil as a result.

One of the drivers does sound very slightly, but only very high frequencies, the other is completely dead.  The other drivers, tweeter and mid range seem to be fine.

I’d love to repair the existing drivers, but suspect it may be beyond my abilities. Therefore I’m looking for two S45-2 woofers!  I’d really like to keep it original if at all possible, but realise that might be tricky.

Any ideas welcome,

Ian

matador
        • Paris France
        • Topics Started 47
        • Total Posts 730

Hi Pommeyard and welcome to Beoworld.

You are righ, seized woofer is a quite common issue wit some Beovox speakers.
        The good news is that this is reparable: not easy but not that hard too.

Seized woofer doesn’t means the coils are broken for sure.
        Lost for lost I would take out the woofers, check for continuity and do a search on this forum with something like “P50”. You should find a step by step repair guide with some quite very good pictures and perfectly phrased frenglish explanations.

Beside the fact that finding similar woofers could be difficult or need another pair of S45 that would then end in trash too (the donor problem…), reparing woofers is a very rewarding task, really.

Let us know…

Dillen
          • Topics Started 3
          • Total Posts 594

Is there any way to find out the TS parameters of the original driver itself?

Yes, it can be measured (on a working driver) with the right equipment, but no modern drivers will come anywhere near. It has been tried many times. By me and several others.
          I would do a repair attempt. There’s really not a lot to lose.
          If it fails, find original replacements from donor(s). It’s not a rare model, and
          often speakers can be found with damaged cabinets, water, rodents or whatever.

Martin

Pommeyard
          BRONZE Member
            • Topics Started 1
            • Total Posts 3

Thank you, I’ve seen some of the discussion from years ago by trawling these valuable forums, and appreciate the advice!

I think I’ll give it a go – I’ve located the thread with your instructions Matador, and quite excited to try and make it work. I feel the possibility with one is more than the other, in that at least there’s continuity in the driver.

With the dead one, where the voice coil must be damaged, is there any realistic chance of reparing do you think, or would it need a new voice coil – and is that even possible?? (replacing just the coil)  It seemed from the old thread that you had success in repairing, but I can’t imagine even having the eyesight required to locate the break, never mind repairing it.

If it works it’ll sure be a satisfying process though!

Pommeyard
            BRONZE Member
              • Topics Started 1
              • Total Posts 3

Thank you, I appreciate the advice!  I would really love to keep it original, especially having got lucky with the Beomaster 2200 – think I’ve caught the B&O bug.

So I’ve tested continuity and it seems like one is good, one is not! Which probably doesn’t get me far.  I agree it seems unlikely to find many of the drivers on their own – most likely if there’s a non-working S45 out there, this is what might have gone wrong….!  I did find the thread you mean I think, looks like a satisfying process.

There is part of me thinking ultimately I may have to find a suitable alternative driver, but not given up yet. Is there any way to find out the TS parameters of the original driver itself?

I’ve put a few photos of the speaker for interest..and one of it’s brother too…IMG_0836-scaled

IMG_0835-scaled

IMG_0831-scaled

IMG_0837-scaled

matador
                • Paris France
                • Topics Started 47
                • Total Posts 730

Yes I had a broken coil and managed to repair it.
                To be honest the break was quite obvious but there is a chance that yours will be too.

And for every weak sight there is a loupe somewhere, just find yours!
                (Actually very cheap Chinese led light loupe googles, they help a lot!)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums For Sale & Wanted Private Wanted Beovox s45-2 Woofers

• You must be logged in to create new topics.