Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoVox Beovox S45-2 blown tweeter successful repair. What caused it?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    louislemas
    BRONZE Member

Last year I saved a pair of Beovox S45-2s from going to the tip.

I managed to successfully fix a woofer with a dislodged magnet – using tutorials from this site. I’ve enjoyed listening to them for a year, but thought I would give them an upgrade by replacing the (original) capacitors.

I ordered this kit and successfully changed all of the capacitors in one speaker without hiccup. I left all of the old capacitors in the other speaker for a couple of weeks so I could compare the sound. Once I was satisfied that the speaker with new capacitors sounded better, I replaced the capacitors in the other speaker as well – again no hiccups as far as I could tell. I put it back together, plugged it into the amp (whilst switched off) – but then found there there was no sound coming from the tweeter. The woofer and filler worked fine.

There was a discontinuity across the tweeter terminals. I thought I’d document how I was able to successfully repair the tweeter (PHILIPS AD-0163 T8), in case anyone else has the same issue…

Upon closer inspection of the voice coil, I noticed there was a burn mark on the cardboard where the wire is soldered to the coil. Using tweezers and patience I was able to scrape and peel the glue back to reveal the wire leading to the coil. I then unravelled the coil slightly to allow enough length to solder. I was pleased that I was able to achieve all of this without losing any length in coil or wire. Once soldered I glued the coil and wire back into place.

Now that the tweeter is showing continuity again, I don’t want to connect it back up to the crossover before I work out what caused it to blow. I would appreciate any ideas about what could have caused this and how I might be able to diagnose without blowing the tweeter again. If it is a faulty capacitor, which one is it likely to be and how can I diagnose this? (I just want to mention that I have no reason to believe that beoparts-shop.com supplied me with a faulty capacitor and have been happy with their service so far). Should I connect some fuse wire in series with the tweeter for testing purposes – if so, what rating? I am fairly confident that I soldered the new capacitors in the correct places, but have included pictures of the crossover for proof.

PXL_20220820_193802796_2PXL_20220820_185613435_2PXL_20220820_192453155_2PXL_20220820_193645079_2PXL_20220820_194208683PXL_20220820_194227659PXL_20220820_194507465PXL_20220820_194446407

S45-2sch.jpg-800x0

(https://www.diyaudio.com/)

Mark-sf
      BRONZE Member

That type of damage is typically caused by overheating which can be the result of any of the following or in combination:

1. clipping an amp into the speaker
        2. if the series capacitor, C2 was too large or shorted
        3. if the parallel resistor, R6 is open.
        louislemas
        BRONZE Member

Thanks for getting back to me.

It’s very helpful to know which components are most likely to be causing the issue, because I don’t want to desolder any that I don’t have to and risk applying excess heat to them.

All of the capacitors are 15μF to match the originals. I just want to check – did you mean to say series capacitor C3? Because C2 appears to be in series with the filler rather than the tweeter.

I will check R6 after the capacitor, because no heat was applied to it in the soldering process so I think it is less likely to be the issue.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.