Beosystem 2500 Cassete issues and Beolab 2500 issues

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Beitie
    BRONZE Member
    • Topics Started 2
    • Total Posts 8

I was working on my Beosystem 2500 yesterday with another forum member. We found that the cassette deck belt had melted and was destroyed. The belt had wrapped around the motor drive cog. We were able to clean it up pretty easily.

I had a new belt ready. After getting the new belt on (ouch that was a pain), we had the cassette deck playing, but it was noticeably slow. We were unsure if the issue was the motor, or something gunked up in the cassette mechanism. Any help would be appreciated.

When I put the entire system back together, I noticed that the right speaker wasn’t putting out any sound. After swapping cables and ports to determine what the issue was, I am pretty confident that the issue is in the speaker itself. The LED light turns green, but no sound.

I opened up the speaker today, and noticed that the foam was starting to become sticky and deteriorate. So I cleaned out all of the foam from both speakers. Still nothing from the right speaker. My suspicion is a relay I found on the PCB. Just wondering if anyone else has run into this?

• This topic was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Beitie.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Dillen
    • Topics Started 2
    • Total Posts 162

Correct belt?
    Check if the belt rubs on something.

Martin

Die_Bogener
    BRONZE Member
    • Topics Started 1
    • Total Posts 99

The jumper determines left/right. So you can check loudspeaker versus BS2500…

Beitie
    BRONZE Member
    • Topics Started 2
    • Total Posts 8

Well, I found that the speaker wasn’t the issue. I found a pair of Beolab 4000 Mk II in the area for a good price, and I’ve always wanted a pair. So when I got them home, and hooked them up to the 2500, I was a little surprised that the right speaker didn’t work then either. So I flipped the switch on the right speaker, to listen for the left input, and it instantly kicked on.

So, that just means I have a lot more work to do inside the Beocenter 2500. Wish me luck!

Beitie
    BRONZE Member
    • Topics Started 2
    • Total Posts 8

So last night and today I spent some time working on the Beocenter. Since I found that the speaker issue was somewhere inside the Beocenter 2500. I also put the new cassette belt back on (bag from belt pictured as well as installed belt).

The good news is that once back together, both speakers worked properly! Yay!

Bad news is that the cassette is still an issue. Once back together, I re-tried the cassette mechanism, the tape head engaged, the motor struggled and became stuck. This is the same issue I had when working with the other forum member.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Dillen
    • Topics Started 2
    • Total Posts 162

Wrong belt path.
    The belt should run like this:

IMG_4503-scaled

Sorry for this fast freehand, but I think you get the idea.

Martin

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Dillen.
    Beitie
    BRONZE Member
    • Topics Started 2
    • Total Posts 8

Oh, that information really will help.

Do I have to remove the PCB? If yes, how?

matador
    • Paris France
    • Topics Started 30
    • Total Posts 327

No. They are one or two little plastic clips you have to pinch to be able to slightly lift the PCB in order to push the belt inside. Then you have to fiddle a little to set the belt on the right path. and then find the right way to close all the mechanism with the pulley inside that path (the pulley Martin pointed as being on the metal bracket).

It’s as fun as Chinese puzzle but not impossible. There is a video on youtube about that, but I don’t know if it is helpful to that extend.

Also read my thread on this in the old forum: if your belt broke with the mechanism engaged there is an heart-splitting maneuver to do to make it work again.

Good luck.

Beitie
    BRONZE Member
    • Topics Started 2
    • Total Posts 8

Thanks much for all the info guys! I used a hook tool to guide the belt under the capacitor that is on the PCB, got everything routed properly, and installed. It was a bit of work, but not terrible.

I have a few broken plastic parts on this Beocenter, but as of right now, everything is fully working!

Short video of it working on YouTube: https://youtu.be/Wpo5j3xg1ng

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Beitie.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.