Beosystem 10 vs Beolit 20?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
      • Topics Started 11
      • Total Posts 63

Hi,

I’m after a small kitchen setup for my cabin, with the following requirements:

• Smaller footprint than the Tivoli audio music system it’ll be replacing.
      • Ability to play cassettes, or aux in so I can connect a Sony WM D6C.
      • Aux in or bluetooth so I can stream podcasts and radio.

So far my shortlist consists of Beosystem 10 or a Beolit 20, and I’m wondering if any of you have a suggestion as to which to choose? Or if there’s something I’ve overlooked that absolutely should be on my shortlist.

Cheers!

matador
        • Paris France
        • Topics Started 48
        • Total Posts 689

Hi and welcome to Beoworld!

Are you talking about the 1985 stereo radio-cassette system versus the 2020 Bluetooth speaker ? They have next to nothing in common and nothing at all in term of sound.
        First, the Beosystem 10 is more or less a Japan production that, how to say this, has only the B&O look. It’ two wide range speakers sounds flat, very average and of course, old, absolutely not B&O. But it is still a very nice device on display who needs regularly to have the dust removed from its shinny black panels.

The Beolit 20 is a portable BT speaker with tweeters and woofers and has a more deep, detailed and modern sound.

Their footprint is also slightly different. The BS10 may be wider than your Tivoli system but also thinner and can be hanged to the wall.

Prices may also be very different.

Depending on your budget, your needs and the way you have to organise your space you may want to consider:

• a Beosound Century: it’s very wide but can be wall mounted and color panels for the speakers can help to make it more discrete. Can be remote controlled.
        • A Beolit 12, same as Beolit 20 but they’re cheaper, Airplay not BT and its less boom sounding than the 15/17/20. The 12 can be remote controlled.
        • If you can place the speakers away any Beosound Ouverture/2300/3000/3200 will give you a small footprint. The Ouverture has a tape deck. Can be remote controlled.

All have aux-in.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous
          • Topics Started 11
          • Total Posts 63

Thanks, matador!

And thanks for the welcome, a nice bonus from user stats not being carried over from the imploded forum 🙂

I appreciate the walk through of suspected differences, and I appreciate that the two units I suggested are from completely different eras and won’t sound remotely the same. But I have to admit sound quality isn’t the key factor here, a combination of footprint and usability is more important. Mixtapes and podcasts while cooking is all I’m requiring from this setup.

Lots of windows, so wall space is at a premium, so the kitchen counter is my only option, and I’m thinking that rules out the Century, if not that would probably have ticked off all the boxes.

I’ll look into the Beolit 12, thanks!

Anonymous
            • Topics Started 11
            • Total Posts 63

First, the Beosystem 10 is more or less a Japan production that, how to say this, has only the B&O look. It’ two wide range speakers sounds flat, very average and of course, old, absolutely not B&O.

Well, even though I said footprint is more important than sound just minutes ago, I have to say your imput here has more or less taken the Beosystem 10 off the table.

kuyttendaele
              • Topics Started 0
              • Total Posts 22

Also.. Have a look at the BeoSound Level or Emerge. Both have a relatively small footprint.

Karel.

Anonymous
                • Topics Started 11
                • Total Posts 63

Thanks, Karel! After doing some more browsing I see that there’s a lot more options than I was aware of. Such as the Level and Emerge that you suggest, both which seem very interesting. I also see there’s something called an A1, which’ll be in the other end when it comes to sound, but takes a lot less space.

So this has turned into a choice between sound quality vs portability and practicality, I guess I’ll pop by a brick and mortar with the walkman in tow and try them on for size.

matador
                  • Paris France
                  • Topics Started 48
                  • Total Posts 689

I also see there’s something called an A1, which’ll be in the other end when it comes to sound,

Given you have considered a Beosystem 10 or even the Beolit 12 I’ve talked about, an A1 or even a second and A2 will not be “in the other end when it comes to sound”. At all!

I suppose they can’t be compared with the Emerge or the Level of course, that are standalone systems but they’re both very impressive speakers by themselves.

beojeff
                    • Topics Started 10
                    • Total Posts 191

Just for fun, I’m going to throw another concept into the mix:

Beosound 3

It has an extremely small footprint and surprising sound for its size. It has radio and an aux input. You can create a handful of SD cards as “mixed tapes” and have them in a small tray or bowl next to the Beosound 3. You can take the music with you outside for a nice walk by popping the SD cards into a Beosound 3 mp3 player with earphones. A very retro concept.

However, it’s a challenge to find one in good working condition. The touch-sensitive controls tend to go bad. I was fortunate enough to find one in perfect condition.

P.S. I must correct my earlier remark. I checked and the Beosound 3 does NOT have an aux input. The socket that I saw on it turns out to be a headphone socket.

matador
                      • Paris France
                      • Topics Started 48
                      • Total Posts 689

the Beosound 3 does NOT have an aux input.

If only…

ethuijs
                        • Topics Started 10
                        • Total Posts 16

Addition: The battery pack for a Beolit 12 is not available anymore.

If you are thinking to go for a Beoplay A1 I would take the Beoplay A2. The sound of the A2 is far better. (Beoplay A2 not can not be bought new anymore).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Not too long

Please do not use the website at the moment,

We will be back very soon

This will close in 20 seconds