Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Beosound Theatre — Knowledge Base

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoSound Theatre Beosound Theatre — Knowledge Base

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Steve at Sounds Heavenly
      • Topics Started 50
      • Total Posts 364

Here are some links to more information about the Theatre on B&O’s own YouTube channel:-

Aluminium production:

Sound design:

Acoustics:

Design story:

Woodworking:

This link takes you to a spreadsheet listing the details of the Theatre’s compatibility with TV panels from a range of manufacturers: https://beoworld.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/3rd-party-TV-or-projector-with-Beosound-Theatre.docx

Kind regards, Steve.

Keith Saunders
      BRONZE Member
        • Hampshire, England
        • Topics Started 23
        • Total Posts 154

This is the thread which should be used for providing technical information about the BeoSound Theatre and NOT discussion points which can be posted elsewhere

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
          • Topics Started 50
          • Total Posts 364

Hi Keith,

Thanks for setting up this thread, which should become a useful resource for anyone wanting to get the best from Beosound Theatre. Please add to it if you have knowledge to share!

I will start by confirming that the Theatre has a USB-C input for stereo analogue audio. By using this adapter and a suitable cable, any audio source can be played through the Theatre (and also to any connected speakers):-

https://soundsheavenly.com/tv-misc/191-usb-c-audio-input-adapter-for-beosound-theatre-ref-6271374.html

By adding a suitable cable (available at https://soundsheavenly.com), any audio source can be connected, including Beosound music systems, Beogram turntables, music streamers, open-reel tape decks, as well as many other devices.

To enable the Line input on the Theatre, please open the B&O app, select the Theatre from the list of products and go to “Source List”. Choose “Line Input” and set the input type to “Music”. Go back to “Sound Settings” and turn on “Auto Sense” for the line input, with the sensitivity set to Medium.

If you are connecting a music source that has its own volume control (eg. the Powerlink output of a Beosound 9000) then please set the volume of the music source to around 50-75% to give normal control from the Theatre remote.

Hope this is helpful!

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
            • Topics Started 50
            • Total Posts 364

On a different aspect of the Theatre, it is worth noting that any brand of TV can be used. However, full integration (with control via a B&O remote) is gained by using the recommended LG G2 panels.

The 55″, 65″ and 77″ G series panels are the officially recommended options, but the 83″ and even 97″ G2 panels will also work seamlessly with the Theatre. As these are too large for the B&O brackets, these larger panels should be wall mounted independently from the Theatre, instead of using the B&O wall or floor mounts. HDMI and Ethernet cables are included with the Theatre to link to the TV panel. However, when wall mounting a larger TV separately from the Theatre, a longer HDMI 2.1 and Ethernet cable may be needed:-

HDMI 2.1: https://soundsheavenly.com/tv-input/55-180-premium-braided-hdmi-earc-21-cable-with-ethernet-for-8k-full-hd-and-beosound-stage.html#/4-length-3m
            Ethernet: https://soundsheavenly.com/powerlink-rj45-cat5-connection-models-from-2013/28-2264-rj45-powerlink-compatible-shielded-cable-for-beolab-speakers-2013-and-newer.html#/3-length-2m/18-colour-black

The Theatre has a four port Ethernet Hub, so only one cable is needed to your internet router and the Theatre can then distribute wired Ethernet connections to your TV and video sources.

Any Beolab speakers (right back to the original Beolab Penta in 1986) can be connected to the four stereo RJ45 Powerlink sockets of the Theatre. WiSA wireless Powerlink options are also available for compatible Beolab speakers (up to 8 wired speakers and 8 wireless speakers can be connected in total).

The Theatre has the acoustic performance of all Beolab speakers (plus Beovox 1 and 2) encoded internally, so it can intelligently share bass between all the speakers that are connected, according to their capabilities. Speakers that have a “Free/Wall/Corner” switch for bass level should generally be set to “Free” when connected to the Theatre, as this gives a flat frequency response to allow the Theatre to manage their bass capabilities to best advantage. The exception to this is Beolab Penta, which gives a flat bass response when set to “Wall” (mid switch position).

As the Theatre carries out room compensation on all connected speakers, they will actually perform better when used with the Theatre than they do on their own. The Theatre also has the magnitude response and phase response of all Beolab speakers coded into its software (ie. the performance of the speakers again frequency and time), so that any design quirks in the speakers will be corrected when they are played from the Theatre. This correction also applies when using a conventional music system to play to the speakers via the USB-C audio input of the Theatre.

As the Theatre only has four RJ45 speaker sockets, RH45 to Powerlink splitters can be helpful to allow for the maximum eight wired speaker connections:-

https://soundsheavenly.com/bang-olufsen/27-313-rj45-powerlink-compatible-splitter-new-powerlink-to-two-8-pin-din-powerlink-compatible-sockets.html#/20-length-02m

Hope this is helpful!

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
              • Topics Started 50
              • Total Posts 364

Here are some links to Geoff Martin’s blog (Geoff is B&O’s Tonmeister and Senior Sound Designer) which give an insight into the technical design and capabilities of the Theatre:-

Spatial Control: https://www.tonmeister.ca/wordpress/2022/09/19/beosound-theatre-spatial-control/

Dolby Atmos: https://www.tonmeister.ca/wordpress/2022/09/19/beosound-theatre-and-dolby-atmos/

History: https://www.tonmeister.ca/wordpress/2022/09/19/beosound-theatre-a-very-short-history-lesson/

Outputs: https://www.tonmeister.ca/wordpress/2022/09/12/beosound-theatre-outputs/

Bass Management: https://www.tonmeister.ca/wordpress/2022/08/31/bass-management-in-beosound-theatre/

A big THANK YOU is due to Geoff for his input into B&O products and also into this forum!

The full specifications of the Theatre can be found here:-

https://assets.ctfassets.net/8cd2csgvqd3m/1lIjveDQso6ZPAebic7pEY/95e758a56fe4d7149e5a81ba2ac2c36f/BeosoundTheatreProductSheetEnglish.pdf

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
                • Topics Started 50
                • Total Posts 364

As a further update, here are B&O’s official videos showing the installation process for each of the five Theatre mounting options:-

Included table stand:

Included wall bracket:

Optional motorised floor stand:

Optional motorised wall bracket:

Optional table stand:

Kind regards, Steve.

Millemissen
                BRONZE Member
                  • Flensborg————Danmark
                  • Topics Started 21
                  • Total Posts 1,038

Great – thanks Steve.

Helps virtualizing how things would look in your own place.

Tip!
                  If you want to airplay these (sound and picture) to your tv, you will have to find them here:

https://support.bang-olufsen.com/hc/da/articles/9396520485777-Installationsvideoer-til-Beosound-Theatre

MM

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
                    • Topics Started 50
                    • Total Posts 364

Hi Beoworlders,

The Technical Sound Guide for Beosound Theatre has just been published by B&O, many thanks to Geoff Martin for his work on this document and for making us aware of it. You can access this via the link below by scrolling to the “Additions” section at the foot of the page (the document may be updated over time, so this link will always point you to the latest version of the guide):-

https://support.bang-olufsen.com/hc/en-us/articles/4955893911569

Kind regards, Steve.

Sreno2023
                    BRONZE Member
                      • Topics Started 0
                      • Total Posts 1

Hi

I’m considering the Theatre. Just wondering, when the threatre is wall mounted on the included bracket how far does it reach out from the wall?

The depth of the Theatre is 15.7 cm I get that. In the videos above it looks like the wall installation adds quite a few cm’s.

trackbeo
                      BRONZE Member
                        • Topics Started 6
                        • Total Posts 247

Late to answer you, but technical info: Wall bracket is available for 55″ and 65″ only.  Distance from wall to front of wings is 13.1 cm, distance to front of soundbar is 19.2 cm.  One thing not shown in the technical drawings is that the bracket lines up with the wings, but at the bottom edge, the rear panel hangs down slightly lower than the front panel, leading to a sort of “chamfered edge” effect, very nice detail.

All dimensions are available from: https://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/us/soundbars/beosound-theatre and scroll down; click on “Product Sheet Download”.  (Your dimension is on pages 6 & 7.)

DT79
                        BRONZE Member
                          • Topics Started 5
                          • Total Posts 56

I’m interested in the Beosound Theatre, but have a couple of questions about integrating with existing kit.

Can it be controlled via an infra red remote control such as a Logitech Harmony? I would love to get a B&O remote, but I have an older LG C9 screen so no control integration with the BT and there’s no way the family can handle going back to multiple remotes or that I could also afford to upgrade the screen at the same time.

At present I have Beolab 8000/7.2/6000 speakers and non-B&O subs hooked up to a regular AV receiver. I know that the BT can integrate well with older B&O speakers, however mine are all connected via installed RCA cables. With the right adaptors/cables can I connect up the Beolab 8000/6000 speakers via the installed RCA cables and still get the benefit of the BT’s tailored sound profiles for them?

Can I similarly hook up the non-B&O subs?

The other week I had a demo at my local B&O dealer of the BT with Beolab 28s at the front and Beolab 18s at the rear, also the Beolab 28s and 50s in stereo. All simply awesome. The only one I could remotely hope to afford in the next year is the BT and the elegance of dropping it in in place of the Beolab 7.2 and making the AVR redundant at the same time is very appealing.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Cheers, Dan.

Daniel Duesentrieb
                          BRONZE Member
                            • Topics Started 0
                            • Total Posts 13

As far as I remember Bang&Olufsen are using another infrared frequency for their equipment than the IR frequency commonly used by other manufacturers. The Logitech Harmony will probably not work.

You may also consider selling the 7.2, both 6000’s, the sub, AVR and LG C9, and buying a last year LG TV and Beosound Theatre and keep the 8000’s as rears. I bought a last year LG B28 for less than 1000 Euro recently. I will sell my Beolab 5’s, the 7.4 center and my Marantz AV. My previous LG TV is already sold. Hence, now I am using the Beosound Theatre also for listening to music, and two Beolab 3 are serving as rears. Sounds great, and there is much less clutter standing around.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
                              • Topics Started 50
                              • Total Posts 364

Hi Dan,

I will let others comment on the remote control question, I can help with the cables.  Yes, you can use your Beolab speakers with the Theatre, plus any brand of powered subwoofer.  Whilst it is possible to adapt existing RCA cables linking the speakers at present, this is far from the best option.

If you are looking to spend £6,000+ GBP on the Theatre, then a bit of effort to get the cabling right will give you a great improvement to the sound of your speakers.  Using the correct RJ45 to Powerlink cables will give the best sound and control of the speakers:-

https://soundsheavenly.com/bang-olufsen/31-325-rj45-to-powerlink-compatible-all-in-one-cable-convert-new-2013-ethernet-powerlink-to-traditional-8-pin-din-powerlink.html#/9-length-18m

To add a non-B&O subwoofer with RCA inputs, simply connect the cable and adapter in the links below from a Powerlink output on the Theatre to the RCA input on the subwoofer:-

Cable: https://soundsheavenly.com/bang-olufsen/110-329-5-pin-din-to-twin-rca-powerlink-compatible-to-non-bo-hifi-amplifier-receiver-etc-din-to-twin-phono.html#/2-length-1m

Adapter: https://soundsheavenly.com/bang-olufsen/30-370-rj45-to-powerlink-compatible-clip-on-adapter-convert-new-2013-ethernet-powerlink-to-traditional-8-pin-din-powerlink.html#/18-colour-black

If your subwoofer has two input sockets, please connect both plugs on the cable, otherwise either plug can be used if the subwoofer only has one input socket (Please use the Line In sockets, not the LFE Sockets). Set the subwoofer volume to approx. 50-75% and then adjust it as required to match the level of your other speakers. The subwoofer volume can now be controlled automatically from the TV remote along with the other speakers.

If there is no way that you can change the existing cables, please feel free to get in touch via my link at the foot of this page and we can look at options for adapting these without too much loss of performance.

Kind regards, Steve.

Earendil79
                              BRONZE Member
                                • Topics Started 1
                                • Total Posts 2

Does anybody know if the BS Theatre supports 4:4:4 chroma? I did not manage to choose this video setting witht he newest 4K AppleTV, using the UHD cable from  B&O that comes with the system and using an alternative 8K /48 GBits certified cable (1m). Next step would be to invest in an optical (OFC) 8K UHD cable but if the BS theatre does not support 4:4:4 than thats obsolete. On a different note, any update if the system will ever support DTS-HD in the future?

YannChris
                                GOLD Member
                                  • Brittany, France
                                  • Topics Started 26
                                  • Total Posts 249

How to get rid of the LG Logo?

Thanks to Millemissen, here is the tutorial.

https://youtu.be/ie1241kSZDU

If it may help.

Yann.

SimonWeir
                                  BRONZE Member
                                    • Topics Started 4
                                    • Total Posts 61

Big Willie Style… sweet spot for bass management crossover for the Theatre with a BeoLab 19.

I was watching BeoTalk episode 275, and Willie at 7 mins drops in a golden nugget of his learned experience from installing that if you weren’t really listening you would have missed because it was said in his usual throwaway casual style.

Well my ears pricked up and I rushed to pause the podcast and try… the result to my ears this guy knows his stuff!

He is suggesting for small rooms change the crossover frequency in the app from 120 kHz down to 90 kHz and for big rooms to 95 kHz.

https://www.youtube.com/live/eipxSggN9QE?si=eGm8QOSYmh0weYng

I have what I would say is a typical lounge size for a modern 4 bedroom UK house that I would try as ‘small’ and then the ability to open double doors to a dining room where another set of BeoLab 17s live so that listening position to me is ‘large’ and with these lower settings everything just seems better.

Try it… the beauty of a Theatre and with the app you can tune your setup as frequently as you want… or restore to default settings.

flere
                                    BRONZE Member
                                      • Topics Started 0
                                      • Total Posts 2

Edit: question moved out of knowledge base thread.

Marc
                                      BRONZE Member
                                        • Topics Started 8
                                        • Total Posts 36

Not the same problem but other problems. Tv does not turn on after listening to the radio. Have to choose tv, systems shuts down. Wait a few seconds and then try again. TV turns on. Sometimes the Beoremote one is not responsive. Sometimes my Beolabs 17 disappear in the app and so on and on. Starting to hate that thing. But update is on its way. Wondering what they f#ck up next time. Let there be a zgod!

Marc
                                        BRONZE Member
                                          • Topics Started 8
                                          • Total Posts 36

zgod is God. ?

sclny1
                                          BRONZE Member
                                            • Topics Started 0
                                            • Total Posts 2

I have an issue with my Beosound Theatre. The remote TV sources always get cleared after I turn off my TV/Beosound Theatre. It gets restored only after I turn on my TV with the TV remote. Of course, when I do that, the Beosound Theatre doesn’t get turned on. So I have to turn off my TV with the Beoremote, and while the TV sources are still in the remote, I turn on both my TV and Beosound Theatre.

This happens constantly and I’m getting frustrated. Is anyone else having this problem?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoSound Theatre Beosound Theatre — Knowledge Base

• You must be logged in to create new topics.