Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoSound Beosound Century – ‘Button’ Troubleshooting

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    woodewood
    BRONZE Member

Hi All

I bought my Century from new when it first came out and have had many years of total reliability, it’s always been mounted in walls so minimal moving (except house moves basically).

We’ve mainly used it with remote controls which have worked perfectly, however I now have a problem with the buttons themselves, all the functions work perfectly with the remote (so we can use it) but when you press any of the buttons physically there is no response.

Can anyone please suggest or help with a fix to this?

Regards

woodewood

pepps
      GOLD Member
        • Kent, UK

Hi Woodewood,

Very odd behaviour. If it doesn’t make any difference to power it down for ten minutes and restart, I would expect an electronic element has expired.

It might be time to find a trusted service centre and have it inspected.

woodewood
        BRONZE Member

Thanks Pepps

After I posted this last night, I sprayed the ‘button’ panel (and as far behind as i could get) with Isopropyl Alcohol 824 spray. After allowing to dry off. After letting it sit for an hour, all the buttons started to work physically again and did so until I turned in for the night.

This morning when I returned, it was as before, the buttons has stopped working?

If you or anyone else have any further suggestions that would be fabulous. But if not then I’ll take up your suggestion and take it to a trusted service centre (anyone know anywhere around Gloucester?).

James

Guy
            • Warwickshire, UK

There’s a video explaining how to dismantle the BS Century here:

And if you go to about 9 mins 30 secs you will see the little display board being removed.  It is only connected by a little white 9-pin connector, so perhaps this has come loose or has a bad/corroded contact?  I would avoid spraying any more IPA because this could easily cause problems elsewhere.

If the connector is not at fault, you may be able to strip down the display/button board further, or look for a replacement.

EDIT:  Sometimes these videos can be a little ‘hit and miss’.  The Service Manual is available on Beoworld to Gold/Silver forum members but I had a look and it is of limited help in this instance, except to identify components.

• This reply was modified 1 hour, 20 minutes ago by Guy.
            • This reply was modified 1 hour, 14 minutes ago by Guy.
            • This reply was modified 1 hour ago by Guy.
            woodewood
            BRONZE Member

Hi Guy

Thank you so much for this, I will get onto this and strip it apart – you are right about the IPA, the tape deck did not like it (no transmission to the tape rollers now), i’ll take a look at this too when I’ve stripped it down!.

I’ll let you know how I get on!

Regards

James

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.