BeoSound 9000: no spinning & test mode result [SOLVED]

Home Forums General Discussion & Questions BeoSound 9000: no spinning & test mode result [SOLVED]

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    KolfMAKER
      • The Netherlands
      • Topics Started 36
      • Total Posts 209

I have a BeoSound 9000 that won’t start playing a CD.  When selecting a CD, it makes the move to the selected CD, it clamps the CD, but the CD won’t start spinning. When keeping an ear close, there is a slight clicking noise that repeats. Finally after a few seconds the display shows ‘PAUSE’.

What I have done:

1. Turn the system off and unplug it for a while, then plug it in again > No result.
      2. Check the screws in the back panel, if they are in the position corresponding to the position of use of the BS9000; in my case now flat on a table. > The screws are in the right position.
      3. Sensor cams. I have read that the two cams between the glass and the face panel might be dirty. I cleaned them with Isopropyl, and I also cleaned the glass and the face plate. > No result.
      4. Test Mode for CD mechanism test. I put the BS9000 in Test Mode with a Beo4 (Shift>9>0>2>5>8) and run #27 to test the CD mechanism. Here are the results:
        • NO ML ERROR
        • 1 IIC ERR104 = The 35IC2 motor processor
        • 1 CD ERR 2 = Focus error, it has not been possible to find focus.
        • NO SER ERROR
        • 1 SLG ERR 31 = microprocessor 35IC2 cannot register pulses from 9PE1.
        • NO PLT ERROR
        • 1 APS ERROR 15 = it has taken more than 5 seconds to carry out auto positioning. The turntable motor driver might be defective.
        • 1 PWR ERR 20 = Mains drop-out while the sledge was moving.

I have read that the behavior my BS9000 has, in some case ha been solved by replacing the laser unit. But I just want to be sure if that or something else will solve it.

My questions

1. What can I make of the result of run #27? (since there are several errors, I am not sure which one needs attention)
      2. Are there any other Test Mode runs I should do?
      3. Could it still be a dirty laser lens that I should clean?

matador
        • Paris France
        • Topics Started 48
        • Total Posts 689
        1. No, I think you’ve done them all.
        2. For MK1 I don’t know. I think I remember the laser was specific or not anymore available, but I may be wrong. Lot of topics about that on BW2 I think. I would try a deep clean of the lens: lens up and down and mirror.
        KolfMAKER
          • The Netherlands
          • Topics Started 36
          • Total Posts 209

I have disassembled the laser/lens/mirror unit, and did a cleaning according to the instructions by japcast in his video on Youtube. By the way, this is a great instruction video!

I did find after disassembly and uncovering the mirror, that it was very dirty. Look for yourself:

BS9K - Mirror 3 - Before

After cleaning and re-assembly I did a CD play test, unfortunately with still the same error as when I started.

After that I did a TestMode run #27 again. Interestingly with some different results than when I did this run before cleaning. Here’s the differences:

Before cleaning:

• NO ML ERROR
          • 1 IIC ERR104 = The 35IC2 motor processor
          • NO SER ERROR
          • 1 SLG ERR 31 = microprocessor 35IC2 cannot register pulses from 9PE1.
          • NO PLT ERROR
          • 1 APS ERROR 15 = it has taken more than 5 seconds to carry out auto positioning. The turntable motor driver might be defective.

After cleaning:

• NO ML ERROR
          • NO IIC ERR
          • NO SER ERROR
          • NO SLG ERR
          • NO PLT ERROR
          • NO APS ERROR

So, it’s positive that most errors are gone. Though a pity that it still doesn’t play.

My questions

1. I guess there is only one thing left; replacing the laser/lens/mirror unit. Correct, or are there still other possibilities?
          2. If I need to order a replacement laser/lens/mirror unit, where can I find it? And where can I trust it is the right one and working? (I need it for a BS9000 MK2, type 2561)

matador
            • Paris France
            • Topics Started 48
            • Total Posts 689

Can’t tell about the focus error. Focus error is usually because of a dirty lens. It may worth double checking the cleaning and the mounting of the part maybe.

The maser for MK2 is from memory CDM 12.05 but you often just need to change the eye part (orange part in the picture). there is a reference number printed on the triangle part near the connector – EF-20 – you should go after the same part.

Member Marexy who has bought tons of them on eBay told us it was kind of a lottery: some do work other don’t. I’ve experienced myself some that work but with a high pitched noise disturbing at low listening levels. Maybe a reputable source would work better.

Good luck.

IMG_6042

matador
              • Paris France
              • Topics Started 48
              • Total Posts 689

Can’t tell about the focus error. Focus error is usually because of a dirty lens. It may worth double checking the cleaning and the mounting of the part maybe.

The maser for MK2 is from memory CDM 12.05 but you often just need to change the eye part (orange part in the picture). there is a reference number printed on the triangle part near the connector – EF-20 – you should go after the same part.

Member Marexy who has bought tons of them on eBay told us it was kind of a lottery: some do work other don’t. I’ve experienced myself some that work but with a high pitched noise disturbing at low listening levels. Maybe a reputable source would work better.

Good luck.

IMG_6042

matador
                • Paris France
                • Topics Started 48
                • Total Posts 689

Thnx @Matador ! You are referring to the “orange part in the picture”. Do you mean the orange PCB and its flatcable?

Yes.

matador
                  • Paris France
                  • Topics Started 48
                  • Total Posts 689

Question Does the service manual remark ‘in TestMode #65 the light pen can be seen’ mean that I should be able to see the light of the laser? Because I don’t see any light coming from the laser in TestMode #65. If I should, then the laser is defect and needs replacement, right?

My Beosound 9000 IR has stopped working so I can’t do any Test mode to check it out but the visible laser must be a light red glint. At least it’s the only thing I’ve ever seen.

It’s also possible that by Light pen, they mean “the eye”. I can’t imagine a test mode firing the laser without any danger for the operator.

I remember a thread on BW2 that talks about another way to repair a faulty laser by (from memory) reflowing something on the main board. But I’m unable to find it.

matador
                    • Paris France
                    • Topics Started 48
                    • Total Posts 689

I’ve tried to catch it with an old camera (CCD without IR filter while playing the last track of a CD but nothing visible. The luminous clamper, doesn’t help.

If you have and old camera and your Beosound is torn appart maybe you could try without the ring light on.

– Time after –

I’ve tried everything from old CCD Camera to iPhone front cam etc… On a Beosound 2300 where the lense is more exposed and I’m unable to see anything. Sorry.

matador
                      • Paris France
                      • Topics Started 48
                      • Total Posts 689

I’ve tried to catch it with an old camera (CCD without IR filter while playing the last track of a CD but nothing visible. The luminous clamper, doesn’t help.

If you have and old camera and your Beosound is torn appart maybe you could try without the ring light on.

– Time after –

I’ve tried everything from old CCD Camera to iPhone front cam etc… On a Beosound 2300 where the lense is more exposed and I’m unable to see anything. Sorry.

matador
                        • Paris France
                        • Topics Started 48
                        • Total Posts 689

I remember a thread on BW2 that talks about another way to repair a faulty laser by (from memory) reflowing something on the main board. But I’m unable to find it.

This is the thread I was referring to. Unfortunately for MK3 but may help someone one day…

KolfMAKER
                          • The Netherlands
                          • Topics Started 36
                          • Total Posts 209

Thnx again @Matador !

I have checken my module and found it has no such connector. Though very interesting to know that this issue can be solved by reflowing on the MK III version.

Since I have done so many checks, tests and cleaning without the wished for result, I have decided to order the replacement laser/mirror/lenses module. I will return after I have received, placed and tested it with my results.

To be continued and thans for ‘travelling’ with me!

matador
                            • Paris France
                            • Topics Started 48
                            • Total Posts 689

So after all checks, tests and cleaning of lenses and mirror, it was the laser unit that did not function well.

Somewhere in BWII, somebody said something like : “If the laser is faulty, the whole unit starts to show lots of funky, unrelated behaviors that all goes good as soon as the laser work again”. Wise and true.

‘CLEANING REQUIRED’.

Newbie question Kolf, read the manual!   ;-D
                            You need to clean the two prism sensors.

lesbart
                              • Norway
                              • Topics Started 2
                              • Total Posts 8

Cleaning_Required
                              🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Not too long

Please do not use the website at the moment,

We will be back very soon

This will close in 20 seconds