Beolab 8000 y connector

Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoLab Beolab 8000 y connector

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ipe
    BRONZE Member
      • Finland
      • Topics Started 12
      • Total Posts 34

Hi

I have a problem with Y-connector.

Beolab 8000 speakers are connected to Bv9 and I have been using

Y-connector to connect beolabs to Beosound 9000.

But……

When I plug cables from Beosound 9000 to Y-connectors sound coming from

Beolab 8000 speakers cuts significantly lower level. About to half.

This happens even when 9000 is not powered on.

Hmmm……….

trackbeo
      BRONZE Member
        • Topics Started 8
        • Total Posts 255

Yup.  Don’t do that.  Splitter cables are intended to have one driving device (BV *or* BS9000) and two speakers.  A switch box — common manufacturers are Almando and OneRemote.dk — will use either the presence of the Powerlink “Power” pin or the audio signal to switch your speakers back and forth.  (There is a technical answer that I just don’t remember about how line output impedance of the source and RCA line input impedance of the speaker[‘s built-in amplifier] are supposed to relate, and what happens if you put another source on that Y in parallel with the speaker, thus the original source “sees” the wrong  impedance, not just a speaker or two.)

P.S.  Don’t throw away that splitter cable — you’ll need it because the Powerlink switch boxes only have a single DIN-8 jack output!

P.P.S.  The true B&O-heads here will tell you that you ought to be running a MasterLink cable between those two sources, for an integrated setup.  One remote, speakers connected to one device, automated source switching thru it, routing the IR remote commands — totally B&O-whole-house-cool!  But the switch boxes work with *any* two sources and don’t require learning anything about B&O systems’ “Option” settings.  Given that you started with a simple Y cable, I suggested the easier-to-understand method.  But it is sub-optimal if you could get MasterLink configured instead: both your BS9000 and BV9 support it!

Ipe
        BRONZE Member
          • Finland
          • Topics Started 12
          • Total Posts 34

That impedance came to my mind but I didn’t “believe” it because level

went down even when BS9000 was not powered on at all.

Have to go through boxes if I can find an ML cable. If not might buy one of those boxes you suggested.

Thanks!

trackbeo
          BRONZE Member
            • Topics Started 8
            • Total Posts 255

Having boxes of B&O cables means you have done this before; good!  But if your boxes leave you empty-handed, as a done-this-before oldster, you might not be familiar with the modern method of connecting MasterLink: buy a pair of cheap ML male –>RJ45 female adapters and run an Ethernet cable between them (preferably shielded) — much easier to find custom lengths than buying a genuine ML cable.  Cheaper than the PowerLink auto-switch boxes, too!

Ipe
            BRONZE Member
              • Finland
              • Topics Started 12
              • Total Posts 34

Thanks for advice. Found ML cable from local dealer;)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.