Beolab 8000 with Step-Up Converter

Home Forums General Discussion & Questions Beolab 8000 with Step-Up Converter

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Beowolf
      • Topics Started 2
      • Total Posts 5

I have access to a pair of Beolab 8000’s, but they are the 220V EU version and I live in the US. I plan to use them with a step-up voltage transformer, but I am not sure what wattage/size converter to get.

Will they work with a cost-effective 100W transformer since the typical wattage load is 12W per speaker, or would I need something closer to 500W because the max output power is 143W per speaker?

Do I only need a transformer powerful enough to run the amplifiers? Or do I need one to handle to total output?

Thanks!

Beobuddy
        • Topics Started 4
        • Total Posts 66

The circuitboard provides different settings for different voltages. It’s logically be (re)placing some SMD jumpers(s).
        I would advise to let it be done by someone with electronic skills.

Beowolf
          • Topics Started 2
          • Total Posts 5

Sorry if I wasn’t clear in my original post. I intend on using an external step-up transformer (plugged into US wall socket, EU plug on Beolab 8000’s plugged into EU socket on transformer).

I’m just unsure what the proper sized transformer would be. I know bigger is better all around in this sort of case, allowing plenty of headroom, but should I be using the max output of 143W as my guide for transformer sizing? Do I only need a transformer powerful enough to run the amplifiers? Or do I need one to handle the total output?

BeoTool
            • Topics Started 4
            • Total Posts 36

I’m also in the U.S. I’ve been using a 200w step-up transformer with a 220v BL 2 for a few years.  No issues.

ajames
              • Topics Started 10
              • Total Posts 40

I would have thought you will be fine with a step up transformer of 100w if the load of each is 12W will be more than plenty.  I had this the other way round for a while with the some speaker I got from Japan – I used one transformer on each to save running cables, but one one transformer for the pair should be fine.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Not too long

Please do not use the website at the moment,

We will be back very soon

This will close in 20 seconds