Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoLab Beolab 7-2 distortion only on some soundtracks

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    DT79
    BRONZE Member

Hi folks,

Hoping for advice on a strange issue.  I have a Beolab 7-2 speaker used as a centre channel in a 5.1 set-up, alongside BL8000 fronts, BL6000 rears and a BL19.

These are all being driven from the preouts of an Anthem MRX520. The 7-2 is connected via an RCA-to-powerlink cable which also incorporates a 5v trigger which is connected to a USB socket on the TV

A couple of months back I first noticed a distortion on loud voices when playing one particular film.  I thought it was a one off and as it was a rip, I thought maybe I’d done something wrong. Since then I’ve noticed it on a few other things from various sources: other rips and also some streaming services. However it definitely doesn’t happen on everything.

I did wonder whether it was an input sensitivity mismatch and tried lowering the output level of the anthem, but then of course I was turning up the volume commensurately more, so I guess it’s all the same in the end and indeed I don’t think that made a difference.

It’s a weird one because it never happened before a couple of months ago, and it doesn’t occur on everything.

Any ideas? Does anyone have the input sensitivity spec for the 7-2, then I can check if that might be the issue?

I could pick up another 7-2 for a relatively modest cost, but want to be sure that this one is actually faulty before doing that, and at the moment, that seems unclear.

Thanks for your help.

Dan

DT79
      BRONZE Member

FYI, in case anyone finds this with a similar issue…

I’ve confirmed that it really is just certain soundtracks. I dug out the disc of the rip mentioned above where I first noticed the issue and it played fine, even when turned up very loud: no distortion. The rip was not 1:1 I had converted the soundtrack to save space.

I think the issue might also be with the Anthem Room Correction EQ curve as I tried toggling it off when experiencing the distortion and it reduced significantly.

I think it might be a combination of the characteristics of the soundtrack and the ARC EQ.

Die_Bogener
        BRONZE Member

I have something like that with HDMI and DVD Player Software.

The sound is playing with 16-bit resolution. A loud section of the music/movie can use these 16-bit 100%.

If you use a software, that is increasing this 16-bit range to make it louder again, then there is a software bug… it’s an overrun of the system, you would need 17 or 18 bit or even more… and these bits are not available.

It’s a cheap and mean software bug of calculating the value.  It would be better, to limit the sound to the maximum instead making a overrun…

DT79
          BRONZE Member
            Thanks for your reply. If I understand correctly, and to put this in terms I understand, what you’re basically saying is that the loud parts of the signal are exceeding 0dBfs which is causing distortion when decoded by the DAC in the AV processor?

Thats a reasonable theory and would explain why it happens from some sources/soundtrack and not others and why the room correction EQ also appears to have an effect.

now I come to think about it, I have only heard the problem from different apps on the TV (Plex playing back files or streaming services), not external sources like sky box or blu-ray. Is there some kind of audio setting on the TV that I should be looking for?

I will continue to experiment with the amp’s eq as well.

I have something like that with HDMI and DVD Player Software. The sound is playing with 16-bit resolution. A loud section of the music/movie can use these 16-bit 100%. If you use a software, that is increasing this 16-bit range to make it louder again, then there is a software bug… it’s an overrun of the system, you would need 17 or 18 bit or even more… and these bits are not available. It’s a cheap and mean software bug of calculating the value. It would be better, to limit the sound to the maximum instead making a overrun…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.