Beolab 6000 connections

Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions Vintage Products Beolab 6000 connections

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    beoldn
    BRONZE Member
      • Topics Started 5
      • Total Posts 19

Hi,

I recently purchased Beolab 6000 speakers. I haven’t received speakers yet but I have a question about connections.

My plan is to connect them to Beosound Essence with Powerlink. Am I able to use line in on the speakers at the same time? I know that there is a switch in the speaker that you need to use if using line in. Do I need to manually switch to line in if they are connected to Beosound Essence and I want to listen line input of the speakers instead?

Also does both speakers have line input?

Thanks.

Millemissen
      BRONZE Member
        • Flensborg————Danmark
        • Topics Started 21
        • Total Posts 1,043

It is either or!

If you really also want to use the line-in, you will have to unplug/plug the cables each time you want to change from one to another – unplugging the power also would be wise.
        Also you must set the switch accordingly, when you change.

N.B.
        The Essence has a line-in connection…..why not just use that, if you have additional sources to connect?

P.S.
        From the Essence you will need a RJ45 adapter in case the 6000 come with regular PL cables. If not, you will have to get RJ45 to DIN male Powerlink cables.

MM

beoldn
        BRONZE Member
          • Topics Started 5
          • Total Posts 19

Thanks for reply and information.

Yes, I will use line in of Essence instead. Just would’ve wanted more connections, that’s all.

Thanks also for the adapter info, I have looked RJ45 to DIN male Powerlink cables and will get these.

Can’t wait to receive the speakers!

Millemissen
          BRONZE Member
            • Flensborg————Danmark
            • Topics Started 21
            • Total Posts 1,043

If you really need more connetion possibilities, you could use a small (manual) switch before connecting to the Essence.
            In any case that would be easier to handle than plugging/unplugging cables by the 6000.

MM

beoldn
            BRONZE Member
              • Topics Started 5
              • Total Posts 19

I have further question, about line out and speaker output.

I found in Beosound Essence following setting:

Line Out Level – Use Power Link socket for connection to an audio system instead.

Can I use RJ45 to RCA adapter to use Powerlink output in Essence to connect it to non B&O amp?

This would be the adapter: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134219649638

Millemissen
              BRONZE Member
                • Flensborg————Danmark
                • Topics Started 21
                • Total Posts 1,043

I’d say, yes!

However, you will have to volume control via the connected non B&O amp, since in that case the output from the Essence is at a fixed level.

MM

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
                  • Topics Started 53
                  • Total Posts 368

Hi Beoldn,

Basically, everything is possible, however the key here is to decide what you want to achieve from the setup.  Can you tell us the model number of your non-B&O amp please and if there are any other music sources and/or speakers that you also want to use in the same room?

This will help us to better understand what you need and help you to get the best setup.

It is worth noting that the input switches on Beolab speakers are quite fragile, so they won’t last long if you regularly move them from one setting to another.  For this reason, I suggest connecting only one device directly to the speakers (eg. the Essence) and then linking other devices to this to share the speakers via the one connection.

Please feel free to reply here or to get in touch via my sponsor link at the foot of the page if you need any help connecting your B&O products.

Kind regards, Steve.

beoldn
                  BRONZE Member
                    • Topics Started 5
                    • Total Posts 19

Many thanks for both.

I think I got my problem solved now.

I will use Beolab 6000 with line input instead of Powerlink.

Also it seems that RJ45 to RCA adapter is best option for my other question. I need line out from Essence so that I can use Beolink Multiroom with my secondary amp Tangent Ampster BT II. I have Beovox CX50 speakers connected to that.

Thanks again.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
                      • Topics Started 53
                      • Total Posts 368

Hi wnv,

Thanks for your purchase.  Beolab 9 are very sensitive to electrical noise, so it is normal to have a small amount of noise when in use via either the Powerlink or the line input (both are wired the same way inside the speaker, so there is no difference in the performance between the two inputs).  However, you should not normally be able to hear any noise if you are more than 0.5m away from the speaker in a quiet room.

The cables that you purchased are fully shielded and built to a very high quality, I test each cable before shipping.  You may find that moving the audio cable away from any nearby mains power cables will reduce the amount of noise hear in the speaker.

Please ask if you need any further help, as the cables are fully covered under warranty and each purchase includes unlimited technical support and advice for your system to ensure that you get everything working to your requirements.

Kind regards, Steve.

wnv
                      BRONZE Member
                        • Topics Started 0
                        • Total Posts 2

Thanks Steve,

I’m not doubting the quality of your cables in any way. It’s good to know that adding another device in between is unlikely to solve the (minor) issue, and part, if not all, is a known “feature”. So, I’ll not be spending money trying -and failing- to sort it. Thanks.

I will experiment with a different cable arrangement to see if that makes a difference. It’s admittedly a bit of spaghetti coming out of the back of Yamaha, and electricity cabling behind and under the cabinet.

Best wishes,

wnv

wnv
                        BRONZE Member
                          • Topics Started 0
                          • Total Posts 2

Hi all,

I’ve got a similar case. I’ve a pair of Beolab 9’s (recently bought second hand) that are connected through a line-in on to a Yamaha WX-C50, using RCA to Powerlink DIN cables I purchased from Sounds Heavenly. The Yamaha works as the music centre receiving wired sources (optical and analog), ethernet (e.g. DNLA, or airplay) and bluetooth, and connects with multi-room linked Yamaha speakers located elsewhere in the apartment. The system works flawlessly and the sound is amazing. Overall, I’m a very happy person. 🙂

Nonetheless,
                          I noticed a slight hum when the speakers are on (when activated through the line-in signal detection). It’s not audible when sitting on the couch a few meters away, but noticeable when having my ear next to the tweeter. This is quite annoying because even without hearing the noise, knowing it’s there bugs me.

I was wondering whether this maybe due to the line-in connection is a tad sensitive to picking up random noise while a Powerlink cable allows for better signal processing? So I was looking for the cheapest way have the Beolabs connected through powerlink. The Beosound Core is an alternative to the Yamaha, but has fewer inputs than I want, and is twice as expensive. Would adding an Essence (MK1) in-between the Yamaha and the speakers solve the issue?

Or… am I overreacting, and is it perfectly normal to hear some activity in the tweeter when putting your ear next to it?

Thanks for your thoughts,

wnv

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions Vintage Products Beolab 6000 connections

• You must be logged in to create new topics.