Beolab 50: Ideal BS 9000 and Beoconnect Core Setup Advice

Home Forums General Discussion & Questions Beolab 50: Ideal BS 9000 and Beoconnect Core Setup Advice

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    doubleola
    BRONZE Member
      • Topics Started 2
      • Total Posts 6

Hello everyone,

I am trying to determine the best setup for my Beolab 50’s and multiroom situation. I have been considering swapping out the BS Core that was installed by my dealer for a Beoconnect core. In reflecting on current setup by dealer attached below, I started to question if my current setup is the most ideal to take advantage of my mix of old and new equipment in my living room. Note the rest of the house has newer NL products Level, BS1, Beovision Contour, BS A9, other BS Core and Essence.

Below is my setup

• Beolab 50’s current dedicated for music only linked together via DPL and on hardwire network
      • Beolab 50’s current dedicated for music only and connected to a BS core via power link
      • BS Core is hardwired to network
      • Beolab 50 also connected to a Roon Nucleus for Tidal streaming and UI discovery it provides connected to hardwire network
      • Beosound 9000 connected to the BS Core via line in
      • Beogram 4000 (ext RIAA) to BS9000 Aux
      • Beogram 6000 (not connected yet)
      • In a built in book shelf that fits TV is a Beovision Avant 55 with built in center connected by Powerlink to BL17 Left and Right front surrounds in lower shelf below Avant. Avant is on network wireless due to architecture challenges.
      • BL18’s via WISA serve as rear speakers to Avant 55
      • Beoliving intelligence. Only basic functions are setup so far.
      • (3) Beoremote Halos,(2) Beoremote one and one Beo4 remote for BS9000

No subwoofer as I didn’t want to add a beolab 19 but couldn’t figure how to use WISA for Video and wired for music on the BL50. Seems like you can only go wireless or wired.

Questions I have

1. Do I need the BS Core or potential replacement Beoconnect core? I would like to add BS9000 to NL network and just bought a NL/ML converter in hopes I get better control of functions of BS9000
      2. Do I get a Beoconnect core and use USB C instead of PL from BS Core?
      3. How do I connect Beogram? NL/ML Converter line in, Beolab 50 line in, Beoconnect Core/BS Core line in?
      4. To keep Roon in the mix do I consider an external streamer /DAC like a Linn Select and go RCA to BL 50’s?
      5. Can I use my BL50’s for subwoofer fill in absence of a BL19 for movies on Avant since architecture prevent hardwire powerlink?

Appreciate experienced suggestions from folks who may have had to manage these decisions.

Audiovideo room

Millemissen
      BRONZE Member
        • Flensborg/Danmark
        • Topics Started 27
        • Total Posts 808

With all respect…..
        ….I do not see the sense in dedicating a set of 50’s to music only.
        The 50’s were build to do both music and video – they have the input and configuration options for both.

May seem a bit radical, but I would move the 50’s to right/left of the Avant, connect them there via PL and let them be fronts.

If you install the NL/ML Converter in the setup (and integrate the BS9000 with the Avant), you can have easy access to the CD player and the turntable – you can have a dedicated Listening Group with the 50’s for that.
        Also you can listen to it from elsewhere in the house as well.

Note! If you do not want the tv to be active for the 9000, you can keep your  current 9000/Core combination with line connection directly to the 50’s.

The other inputs on the 50’s can be used as of now – actually you’d only need the USB /Nucleus….or alternatively the BC Core.

As I understand it, you – in your case – would have to free up the PL currently used for the 17’s.
        But they would do a much better job as surround speakers (on either side of the sofa facing the tv) and they can easily be connected via WiSA.
        The 18’s in the back should then – if not already – be configured as rears.

A classical 7.1 setup so to say, but with the unique B&O option of using the 50’s directly for just music listening.

This would give you an improved listening experience for movies, for music concerts and for multichannel music (from Apple Music/Tidal on e.g. ATV4K or from Blu-ray discs) and it would not compromise the music listening standarts, you aim for.

MM

doubleola
        BRONZE Member
          • Topics Started 2
          • Total Posts 6

@millemissen, Thanks for your feedback, I will take a look at the options you have described.

Regarding the setup, As explained, the reason I ended with described placement here is because the architecture— while simplified in diagram does not permit having 50’s left and right of Avant without investing in costly construction and cable runs (TV is recessed in cabinet and no wall outlet or network run along front wall below.

I know I could run cables on the wall surface into recessed built in bookshelf but it would be unsightly and messy looking. They way it is set up now is to make the best of what I inherited from a space and placement possibilities. So BL50 direct to Avant is not an option for me. Network and wireless are considerations to Avant.

Sandyb
          BRONZE Member
            • Topics Started 1
            • Total Posts 293

I agree pretty much with MM’s post, and I was also assuming (as MM suggested), moving the 50s either side of the Avant to be used as fronts. The 17s hopefully are easily placed as surrounds. That would seem to be job 1.

Job 2 would then be the decide whether you connect your 9000/Beogram through the Avant, or direct to the 50s.

It does sound like, given the current furnishings / architecture, that any change you make will require the 50s to be WISA connected to the Avant. Seems a simile change to me, and nothing to be reticent about.

Either way, it would seem rather sad to not use the 50s for movies / tv.

Re things like the Linn (that I have), considerable improvement is hard to comment on, being a bit subjective. Yes I do prefer its DAC output (Katalyst) to a straight digital into the 50s, but it was also about other things. I wanted a Roon endpoint, and didn’t want to just use my Nucleus USB into the 50s – Roon do say that its preferable to connect the Nucleus to a DAC, so thats what I did.  But for 5-6k, much as I’m very happy with my Linn, one could probably get most of the way there with an Eversolo or Cambridge Audio etc etc, for 1.5k.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.