Beolab 50 feature request… (Geoff ??)

Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoLab Beolab 50 feature request… (Geoff ??)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    MarioA
    BRONZE Member
      • Topics Started 10
      • Total Posts 34

I have a streamer directly connected to the BL50 via digital coax, which I prefer when listening to music. But sometimes the speakers startle us! This happens when I change from wide to narrow mode, for example, or when I change input, all while music is playing via digital Coax input. The speakers reset the volume to max automatically when I make those changes and whoever is around me will know how loud these speakers can get!

I know it can be avoided if I remember to pause the music before performing any operation via the app (if I remember!). I also understand that I have this issue because my BL50s are not integrated into a B&O ecosystem, at least not yet.
      But I hope that Geoff is reading this and opens his heart more (I see how generous he is with his appearances at the forum). It would greatly help if B&O could add a new feature via update, to allow users to individually set their desired maximum volume for each input. For example, I would love to set the maximum volume for the analog RCA input to 90 and simultaneously be able to set the maximum volume for the digital COAX input to 45.

I’m thoroughly enjoying the speakers immensely and I’m so grateful to B&O, particularly Geoff, for their creations. This feature request would make the BL50 even more amazing to me.

Thank you.

geoffmartin
      BRONZE Member
        • Topics Started 3
        • Total Posts 109

Hi MarioA,

I’m a little confused, since your request for a feature doesn’t seem to really address your problem. So, let’s deal with the issue first…

I am surprised to hear that your 50s have a change in VOLUME setting when switching from Narrow to Wide. This should not happen. Could you please confirm that I understand this correctly? My understanding is that you’re playing from your streaming device which is connected to your Coax input, and you switch from Narrow to Wide, and there is a sudden, brief jump to maximum output level – and that this is accompanied by a visible jump in the Volume setting (either on the B&O app or on the 50s web UI).

Cheers

-geoff

MarioA
        BRONZE Member
          • Topics Started 10
          • Total Posts 34

I apologize for not describing well my thoughts, and as well for the delay in my response (I thought the post did not publish when I attempted the first time).

The jump to maximum volume happens usually once, the first time I attempt in a single session, when I change the preset-mode (ex. from wide to narrow), it doesn’t happen all the times thou, it seems random and usually happens at the first attempt, in a session, when changing the mode (wide to narrow). The app’s UI visibly confirms the jump, it goes to maximum volume setting.  This doesn’t happen if I change the mode again soon after. In fact the volume will stay put.

The volume jumps to Maximum also when I change the inputs. For example going from analog (RCA) to digital (SPDIF). In fact when I select  digital source, I must make sure that the source is not already playing, otherwise it will certainly  blast us.

Another annoying situations goes like this, as an sample: if I put on mute the audio that I’m playing via  SPDIF long enough, and the speakers go in stand by, when I’ll resume the music the speakers will turn on automatically and will put the volume back to maximum.

Beside that issue, an individual maximum volume setting per input would obviate the necessity to remember to change the volume each time we change input source from analog to digital. I have household members that wont use the digital section of the speakers, because they are not comfortable and are a bit intimidated by all that  “risk” taking…

Again, my speakers are in an non-b&o ecosystem and transition between analog source and digital source could be smoother.

Thank you so much for your kind reply.

Mr10Percent
          BRONZE Member
            • Topics Started 8
            • Total Posts 510

Apologies for my interjection before GM.

What you describe was a common bug early in the BL90 life-cycle…say 2 to 3 years ago IIRC, where the App used to jump the BL90 volume straight to 100%. (90). There was a specific update (along with a more robust input selection). Since that feature was addressed, the volume starts up at a preselected maximum, you can control the max volume (up to 90) and the input switching works as good as you could expect (a notable problem was switching the BL90 with the Auralic via XLR but unless you waited 60seconds for it to time out and standby, the BV Eclipse powerlink would get very confused and no tv sound would play). All that has been worked out thankfully.

It may be presumptuous but have you checked the maximum startup volume and maximum volume in the BeoApp. Additionally, maybe your BL50s are stuck on an old FW version? A possible remediation May be to do a full factory reset, update and reconfigure?

MarioA
            BRONZE Member
              • Topics Started 10
              • Total Posts 34

I’m the one who should be apologizing and so… my apologies once again for not explaining myself properly. I don’t think I articulated it correctly earlier, so let me recap, hopefully with more clarity:

My BL50 speakers are connected to a third-party audio processor for surround sound, along with other speakers, via an RCA analog input. Since I need to control the volume of all the speakers simultaneously, I must do it through the audio processor. Consequently, I need to set the default starting volume on the BL50s to a value of 90 (maximum). However, when I play audio from a different input source, a digital streamer/transporter connected via SPDIF, the default starting volume remains at 90 (maximum). I wish I had the option to customize that value, for instance, to set it to 40. This customization is crucial because when I switch from RCA to SPDIF, I must ensure that: 1) there is no audio playing from the source already; 2) I remember to lower the volume before hitting play to avoid a sudden blast of sound from the powerful speakers. Additionally, there are instances in which, when playing via SPDIF, the volume resets to its default starting value of 90. This occurs when I change the source input and, in some cases, when I switch from wide to narrow mode (it only happens the first time in a session, which appears to be a software bug).

My main point is that if I could set different default starting volumes for each input, it would significantly improve the transition between RCA and SPDIF in my system.

Thank you so much for your kind replies.

Mr10Percent
              BRONZE Member
                • Topics Started 8
                • Total Posts 510

Ok, my experiences doing similar.

1. What I stated earlier remains so…..the BeoApp should control startup volume and max volume.

2. I can operate my 3rd party DAC either as fixed volume (control the BL90 with the Halo), or I can control by the 3rd party DAC app which leads to two volume controls overlaying one another. So I stick with correct max 4Vrms input and fixed DAC volume.

3. In your case, you need to either fix the 3rd party volume or fix the Beolab 50 volume as per point 1 above?

4. Forgot to add…you may be able to fudge a listening position for playback via your reciever…..edit the “listening position” by loweing the db output…..but I’m not sure how well that would work?

Does that help any?

Mr10Percent
                BRONZE Member
                  • Topics Started 8
                  • Total Posts 510

Just reading your post a bit deeper, I don’t know what input VRMS settings you can select on the BL50s? On the BL90s you can select 2.0v, 4.0v and 6.5v IIRC. So i guess the BL90 can do a bit of signal attenuation? 50s may also have a similar function?

However, it may be relevant to know the receiver output VRMS? If it’s low……..say 1vrms, that may be the reason why you have to crank the BL50 volume up? So it may be worth looking up what the matching values are and adjust to similar values if you can?

MarioA
                  BRONZE Member
                    • Topics Started 10
                    • Total Posts 34

Thank you Mr10Percent,

The third-party processor is not the issue at all. The problem is that I don’t have the option to set a different default starting volume for each input to mitigate the enormous volume difference between the RCA and SPDIF inputs. Changing the VRMS value won’t help me in this case.

geoffmartin
                    BRONZE Member
                      • Topics Started 3
                      • Total Posts 109

Hi MarioA,

I now understand the problem – so thanks for the extra clarification.

Of course, I can’t promise anything – but your use-case makes your request an obvious solution to your problem.

Given the current capabilities of of the Beolab 50, I guess that one “safe” solution is to do the opposite of your current setup: Set the default startup volume to the lower value – and manually turn it up when turning on your 3rd-party surround processor. Of course, this might be less convenient, depending on the frequency of your usage… (I’m curious which surround processor you have since it would have to have enough latency adjustment control to get the other loudspeakers to wait for the Beolab 50s – unless you have more than 2 of those… but that’s a mere side-bar…)

The other solution (if it’s possible) would be to enable a volume-controlled output on your S/PDIF source. You don’t say what kind of network player you’re using – but many have the option to use an internal volume control instead of sending out full-scale and controlling the volume downstream. Any decent network streamer that does this will be scaling to a 24-bit output on the S/PDIF, which (assuming that they’re TPDF dithering the output) has a dynamic range of 141 dB. This puts the noise floor of the S/PDIF signal about 20 dB below the inherent noise floor of the Beolab 50 when at full volume. In other words, you can hypothetically do this without incurring any degradation. Of course, then, you’d be using the volume control of your network streamer using its app/remote instead of the one in your 50s… But I guess that’s obvious. 🙂

Cheers
                      – geoff

MarioA
                      BRONZE Member
                        • Topics Started 10
                        • Total Posts 34

Thank you very much for your enlightening reply.

To answer your questions regarding my setup: the audio processor I use is an older Marantz preamplifier (still working fine), the AV7702. Because it’s not capable of dealing with latency adjustments in my system, I resolved that problem with this device that I bought from a pro-audio store: the Sescom SES-A-V-SYNC A/V Lip-Sync Corrector. I installed it in line between the Marantz and the rear speakers’ amp. Luckily, it has settings at 50ms intervals and allowed me to set it to exactly 100ms, and the problem was solved!

Regarding volume adjustment: I don’t particularly like the first option you suggest because it would require adding another remote in the process and an extra step to be taken. Especially considering other members of the household who are not technically inclined, and frankly, I don’t want others to mess with the B&O app anyway.

Your second suggestion may be more practical for me, especially when I am using the streamer (The streamer is a decent inexpensive WiiM Pro). Yes, that can work out. I already tried it, although the volume control process on the streamer is not very fluid, but it works. I’d still rather use the volume control on the BL50 simply because both manuals, yours and the streamer’s, suggest volume control on the speakers for the best possible audio quality. Again, for my case, my wish is to be able to set a different default starting volume for each input; that would be perfect!

Meanwhile, I thank you very much again for your kind replies.

DT79
                        BRONZE Member
                          • Topics Started 5
                          • Total Posts 56

I once owned a pair of self-contained (i.e. including DAC and preamp) active speakers, the AVI ADM40. They didn’t have a pre-set default for each input as such but the volume was adjusted and remembered independently for each input.

At first it took me a bit by surprise and I thought it was odd, but it didn’t take me long to realise that it is actually an incredibly helpful feature, with absolutely no down-side that I found in 7+ years of ownership.

MarioA
                          BRONZE Member
                            • Topics Started 10
                            • Total Posts 34

I once owned a pair of self-contained (i.e. including DAC and preamp) active speakers, the AVI ADM40. They didn’t have a pre-set default for each input as such but the volume was adjusted and remembered independently for each input. At first it took me a bit by surprise and I thought it was odd, but it didn’t take me long to realise that it is actually an incredibly helpful feature, with absolutely no down-side that I found in 7+ years of ownership.

Indeed, that would work splendidly too if implemented by B&O!

MarioA
                            BRONZE Member
                              • Topics Started 10
                              • Total Posts 34

I’m reviving this thread because B&O Halo remote came to my mind… and I was wondering: would the Halo retain/remember the last BL50’s volume setting- if used to control the BL50 exclusively?
                              I’m growing frustrated from using b&o app at adjusting the volume (not smooth and inelegant) and I’m willing to add the halo if it can help me with the task mentioned.

MarioA
                              BRONZE Member
                                • Topics Started 10
                                • Total Posts 34
                                Sorry… double posted. Delete this please.
                                Mr10Percent
                                BRONZE Member
                                  • Topics Started 8
                                  • Total Posts 510

Im busy relocating my home but from memory,…so I’m recollecting my BeoApp/Halo/BL90 setup. The start-up of my BL90 is set to 38 when receiving a 3rd party source signal. The max volume is 90. This is all setup on the BeoApp.

Always worked correctly once implemented. Before that, you occasionally got a full blast at 90 volume.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoLab Beolab 50 feature request… (Geoff ??)

• You must be logged in to create new topics.