Beolab 5 defect?

Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoLab Beolab 5 defect?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    KHX
    BRONZE Member
      • Topics Started 2
      • Total Posts 10

Hi

Recently bought pair of Beolab 5’s. Connecting them via Line (RCA) from pre-amp and have sync cable installed. When starting music only one speaker plays. When initiating bass/room measurement on the silent speaker, microphone moves out but then nothing happens (no sound, no more microphone movement). The other speaker works fine.

Could one say that one speaker is defect based on this? Don’t know what else to try/do. Grateful for help!

Karl

NQVHNWI
      BRONZE Member
        • Topics Started 9
        • Total Posts 527

I would say yes.  Do you have a red LED flashing or does it go green?

I would also look at playing with connections from your PreAmp from one speaker to the other – just to see if its not a cable.

If you have the opportunity to connect coax from a digital output – try that?

Are the two BL5s synced together with the 3.5mm volume cable (I think you need that with Digital input, the RCA 0 to 2V should be enough for analogue volume control.

KHX
        BRONZE Member
          • Topics Started 2
          • Total Posts 10

Yes, have brand new RCA-cables and B&O sync cable  installed. Have switched the cables between the speakers and between the line out on the preamp without success. Also with/without sync cable. But problem remains, one speaker is completely quiet.

The indicator lamp is solid red at standby and solid green when activated. It flashes green when room compensation is activated, but no sound.

What could be wrong?

NQVHNWI
          BRONZE Member
            • Topics Started 9
            • Total Posts 527

Complicated devices. Hard to determine with the given information. I would advise you find a technician who can do proper diagnosis.

The lack of calibration sounds like the central EPROM/Processor may not be too good as that is independent of any music input.

Beobuddy
            GOLD Member
              • Topics Started 5
              • Total Posts 84

A Beolab 5 can calibrate even without any cables attached. Just a powercord should be fine.

When the led flashes green without any sound, often the amplifier for the lower bass has ceased.

But begin at the start. The BL5 normally used in L-opt 0 when used with powerlink cords. L-opt 1 is used when you use then with 3rd party players.
              When you set them in L-opt 1, you use Radio to activate the BL5’s. Can you feel any vibration at the lower bass when playing music?

KHX
              BRONZE Member
                • Topics Started 2
                • Total Posts 10

I’ve set it to L-opt 1 (led flashed to confirm) but no sound (or vibrations) what so ever from one speaker, not when playing music or performing calibration. Just dead silence… ?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.