Beolab 5 and Macbook Pro

Home Forums General Discussion & Questions Beolab 5 and Macbook Pro

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    mihnea
      • Topics Started 3
      • Total Posts 7

What is the easiest way to connect a pair of Beolab 5 speakers to a MacBook Pro that only has Thunderbolt ports?  I want to use the digital coax audio inputs on the Beolab 5s, not the line or proprietary B&O inputs, which are not digital.  Thanks!

Millemissen
      BRONZE Member
        • Flensborg/Danmark
        • Topics Started 27
        • Total Posts 806

There are several options…….some are very expensive, but not necessarily better.

I’d go for a USB DAC like this:

https://www.tpdz.net/productinfo/505000.html

I used (the analog outs on) one of these untill recently in one of my setups.

Also see:

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2021/07/measurements-topping-d10s-inexpensive.html

MM

mihnea
          • Topics Started 3
          • Total Posts 7

Thank you, Millemissen.  All I could see from the pictures are outputs.  Does this thing have a digital coax audio input, so I can connect the speaker cable directly into it?  I assume that it has an USB output to connect into the MacBook, right?

If not, how did you connect Beolab 5 speakers to it?

Millemissen
          BRONZE Member
            • Flensborg/Danmark
            • Topics Started 27
            • Total Posts 806

Actually it is a USB input (since the data comes out of e.g. a Macbook and into the Topping).

In your case (when you want to use the coax-in on the BL5’s), you use it as a converter USB to (coax) S/PDIF….so yes, it has an outgoing coax.

I used it as a pure DAC – with the analog out into my Beomaster.

It is in general a very good device at a resonable price (please read the review in the link).

I do not have BL5’s here, but I would not hesitate to use the analog outs for the analog PL-in on the 5…….in fact I’d prefer connecting the Topping to an Aux-in on a Beomaster/sound/center and use the PL connection there for the 5’s.

Using the coax-in of the BL5’s can be a hassle because of the volume controlling (that has to be done with a B&O remote directly to the 5’s).

I do not, however want to start a discussion here about the pros and cons of  using the digital-in on the 5’s!!!

My point is, if you want to use the digital-in of the 5’s for sound out of a Macbook, you’ll need a USB to coax converter….since the Macbook has no S/PDIF-out (unless yours would have the combo headphone/optical out).

MM

mihnea
              • Topics Started 3
              • Total Posts 7

Millemissen – great!  I do use a B&O remote for the volume, it doesn’t bother me.  I did read the review, and it’s a little bit over my head (!), but I understood the main points.

Presently, I use a digital coax to optical converter, and then I plug the optical into a CalDigit dock, which I then connect via Thunderbolt with my Mac.  Your solution is much more elegant, and it’s one box versus two boxes, and it might have other uses, too, like headphones, etc.  So I’m going to go ahead and buy one and try it.

Unless you tell me there are better DACs…

Millemissen
              BRONZE Member
                • Flensborg/Danmark
                • Topics Started 27
                • Total Posts 806

‘Unless you tell me there are better DACs…’ 

First we would have to define what ‘better DACs’ would mean.

There are different DACs, yes – but generally the DACs of today have reached a ‘quality’ (whatever that means), where you do not have to invest a lot of money.

In your case – since you use a USB to coax/S/PDIF conversion – your focus point would be the ‘DAC-solution’ inside the BL5’s/the way that the incoming data are processed.

I can only recommend to experiment with different solutions – but be sure to have playback at the same SPL (messured volume level), when you compare.
                Even a small difference in the level may fool you to think one is better than the other (that is how human perception of sound works).

Anyway – enjoy your BL5’s….and do remember that the most important part of music listening is the quality of the recording/mixing/mastering of the files/the music.

MM

mihnea
                  • Topics Started 3
                  • Total Posts 7

Agreed!  These days, I only listen to ECM Records albums.  It’s hard for me to tolerate any other.

Thank you so much for the info!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Not too long

Please do not use the website at the moment,

We will be back very soon

This will close in 20 seconds