Beolab 3 Opinions and Reviews

Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoLab Beolab 3 Opinions and Reviews

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    cds
    BRONZE Member
      • Topics Started 2
      • Total Posts 13

Hi guys,

I’m looking to replace my Beoplay S3 stereo pair with something that sounds better and also doesn’t have the ridiculously aggressive power-saving settings (the S3 goes to sleep after around 10 seconds of inactivity when using line-in!).

Secondhand Beolab 3s seems like a good alternative, although I can find very few reviews for some reason. I’d love to know how they compare to the S3s, and to other active speakers in the same sort of price range these days (they seem to average around £600 on the secondhand market).

I have a high quality sub, so I’m not too bothered about how much bass is put out, although the S3s were surprisingly good in this area. I’m looking for good stereo imaging and detailed sound. I wasn’t too impressed with the midrange performance of the S3s, but I really can’t complain for the price.

Mbee
      BRONZE Member
        • Topics Started 4
        • Total Posts 59

I don’t think you can find a better set of speaker for this price. Precise, powerful. And you already have the sub if you have a big room where they can lack a bit of bass, which could be their only drawback.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
          • Topics Started 54
          • Total Posts 371

Hi Mbee,

I agree you can’t beat Beolab 3 at this price! This video gives you a chance to hear them, I have also made a review of these great speakers on my YouTube channel:-

Kind regards, Steve.

cds
          BRONZE Member
            • Topics Started 2
            • Total Posts 13

Thanks both. There are quite a few studio monitors available in this sort of price range, as well as the KEF LSX. Do you think the Beolab 3 can compete in terms of detail?

I’m also keen to know what sort of SPL the BL3 are capable of, and if they are better suited to near-field or mid-field listening – I can’t find much online.

BeoTool
            GOLD Member
              • Topics Started 4
              • Total Posts 45

I’m also keen to know what sort of SPL the BL3 are capable of, and if they are better suited to near-field or mid-field listening – I can’t find much online.

“Maximum Sound Pressure Level 94 dB (stereo, pair)”. “It can be used for either main speakers or for rear surround-sound.”

cds
              BRONZE Member
                • Topics Started 2
                • Total Posts 13

“Maximum Sound Pressure Level 94 dB (stereo, pair)”. “It can be used for either main speakers or for rear surround-sound.”

Great, thanks. Where did you get that info? My google skills seem to fail me.

Do you know if that’s peak or sustained?

matador
                  • Paris France
                  • Topics Started 49
                  • Total Posts 747
                Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.