Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoLab Beolab 2 Powers on but no signal

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    mojofml
    BRONZE Member

I picked up a very beat up Beolab 2, it powers on when plugged in (red LED), but when I plug in the powerlink cable and try to play music, there’s no sound (still red LED, does not turn green).

I took it apart and looked at the fuse, it visually appears not blown. That’s pretty much all that I know how to do. Any common causes for said symptoms? Would the only thing that I can do be replace the board/sending it somewhere for repair? thanks!

IMG_20220901_210055IMG_20220901_211142

KolfMAKER
      SILVER Member
        • The Netherlands

Hi mojofml,

Do you have a multimeter and know how to handle that?

Die_Bogener
        BRONZE Member

It is not a good idea to plug in power, having a red led and then connecting Powerlink. Can make a big PLOPP and then nothing in the future…

Has it ever worked before, did you see or hear it or bought defect?

mojofml
          BRONZE Member

I have a multimeter but I don’t know how to handle it haha

mojofml
            BRONZE Member

It is not a good idea to plug in power, having a red led and then connecting Powerlink. Can make a big PLOPP and then nothing in the future… Has it ever worked before, did you see or hear it or bought defect?

I’m sure it worked before, before I bought it

KolfMAKER
              SILVER Member
                • The Netherlands

If you don’t have/know how to handle a multimeter, try to find someone who does, and has understanding of power supplies and amplifiers.

9_LEE
                BRONZE Member
                  • Eastbourne England

Have you double checked your powerlink cable, or checked that whatever you have it plugged into is set up for it – or has working powerlink sockets?

I only ask as in 20+ years of dealing in B&O I have to say that the BeoLab 2 ranks as one of the most reliable and trouble free pieces of B&O I have ever dealt in…

Lee

mojofml
                  BRONZE Member

If you don’t have/know how to handle a multimeter, try to find someone who does, and has understanding of power supplies and amplifiers.

seems i have no other choices, will do thanks!

mojofml
                    BRONZE Member

Have you double checked your powerlink cable, or checked that whatever you have it plugged into is set up for it – or has working powerlink sockets? I only ask as in 20+ years of dealing in B&O I have to say that the BeoLab 2 ranks as one of the most reliable and trouble free pieces of B&O I have ever dealt in… Lee

Hi there, i’m absolutely sure there’s no issue from the signal/cable end, because I have another perfectly good working condition Beolab 2! I bought this as a gamble in hopes it would work (seller didn’t have cable to test the signal), but i guess not only is it very beat up on the outside it is also the case on the inside 🙁

mojofml
                      BRONZE Member

Found the service manual, maybe it’s the base unit that’s faulty (the front facing piece)

Capture

Is there any way to test the base unit? I will not use my working condition Beolab 2 to test it 😀

mojofml
                        BRONZE Member

Just to update in case anyone interested – I used a 9v battery and connected the base unit +/- terminals and hear a mild clicking sound. I’ve also managed to source a multimeter, i’m getting an ~8ohms reading so I believe it’s working properly. Will try to test the board over the weekend as well.

I tried one other thing – i tried to put one of my beolab 6000 speakers through the “out” from the beolab 2, still no signal goes out to the speaker.

mojofml
                          BRONZE Member

I’ve finally caved and took my working Beolab 2 apart, and tried putting in the base unit from the non-working Beolab 2 into the working one, and it still did not work. The light does turn green and I do hear a very weak hum if I turn it up a lot though.

I’ve done the 9v battery test, and as you can see in the video the difference is very significant. What I haven’t though is to put my working Beolab 2 base unit into the non-working one to test the rest of the parts (ie. the board, amp, etc) from the non-working unit. I would like to ask, is there is any risk in putting my working base unit into the non-working Beolab 2? I don’t want to end up with 2 non-working Beolab 2.

Also, any chance I restoring the non-working base unit? thanks a lot.

Die_Bogener
                            BRONZE Member

Hmmm, the left one is ok.

The right one is somehow “blocked”, there is a hard stop in the membran. Maybe it was overload or somebody crashed into the loudspeaker.

Does it move by hand?

mojofml
                              BRONZE Member

Hmmm, the left one is ok. The right one is somehow “blocked”, there is a hard stop in the membran. Maybe it was overload or somebody crashed into the loudspeaker. Does it move by hand?

Yes quite noticeably something is impeding it when i press down on it, i’m trying to figure out how to take it apart. I can’t find a guide anywhere to do it, but i’m guessing I will need to unseat the spider to gain access to a few screws below it order to take it apart.

Beojuhl
                                BRONZE Member

Did you manage to get it to work ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.