Beogram for BeoMaster

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    CPADave
      • Topics Started 5
      • Total Posts 11

I purchased my Beogram 4002 new in 1975, but
      PROBLEMS:
      1) the arms stopped moving last week, and
      2) I broke off the stylus when I opened up the turntable.

I believe different B&O turntables had different requirements for amplification, so what models of turntable are compatible with my BeoMaster 8000?

Thanks, Dave [cpa.cowboy@yahoo.com]

Mark-sf
        • Topics Started 0
        • Total Posts 258

If all you are concerned with is amplification, then almost any Beogram will work as their phono cartridge outputs are similar. However, your 4002 is worth servicing and you are going to need a new/re-tipped cartridge anyway.

CPADave
          • Topics Started 5
          • Total Posts 11

I may be confused, but once-upon-a-time, I was told that various models of Beogram turntables did NOT work with each BeoMaster.  Anyway, I have a Beomaster 8000 now.

The 4002 turntable was purchased from Chelsea Audio in downtown Portland, Oregon, but that store doesn’t service my B&O turntable anymore.  And I can’t find a walk-in service center in Portland, Oregon.  (I live 2 hours east of Portland.)

1. Where can I get service for my 4002 turntable?
          2. Can I send it directly, or must I deal with one of the sales-only B&O outlets?
          3. Will the service center for my 4002 be the same place for getting the cartridge repaired or replaced?

Mark-sf
            • Topics Started 0
            • Total Posts 258

Dave, what you may be remembering is that the remote control of the turntable was specific to the Beomaster system using Datalink. This required using a 7-Pin DIN cable to the compatible receiver. There is no issue with the audio.

While I cannot help you with a service location, since parts are no longer available from B&O directly, you don’t need to go to a B&O dealer for service. Perhaps if you describe the specific nature of your 4002 failure, I can assist you in self-service.

Your cartridge will not be able to be repaired at a service center. Since you are in the U.S. I recommend checking out sound-smith.com as Peter does excellent work.

CPADave
              • Topics Started 5
              • Total Posts 11

Hi Mark, If I try to play, the arms move ~1cm and then stop.  Each time I try use the switches to move towards the center of the record, the arms move ~1cm and then stop.  The arm with the cartridge never drops down.  The arms do not travel in the other direction away from the center of the record. The only way to move the arms back is to remove the covers and then turn the “screw” manually.

Mark-sf
                • Topics Started 0
                • Total Posts 258

Does the platter spin once the arm has moved towards the center? Does the arm respond to the cueing control when it has moved inward? Does the 33 speed adjust light illuminate?  Given its age, if the above answers are all no, then it’s likely the electrolytic capacitors need to be replaced as there is insufficient voltage. There may be additional issues but until power is restored one can’t say.

CPADave
                  • Topics Started 5
                  • Total Posts 11

Hi Mark-sf

Do you still recommend sound-smith after the following answers?

1) Does the platter spin once the arm has moved towards the center?  – YES
                  2) Does the arm respond to the cueing control when it has moved inward? – NO
                  3) Does the 33 speed adjust light illuminate? -YES

4) the stylus needs to be re-tipped

5) there are NO B&O outlets in Washington or Oregon (I live 2 hours east of Portland)

Thanks, Dave (cpa.cowboy@yahoo.com)

Mark-sf
                    • Topics Started 0
                    • Total Posts 258

Dave, my recommendation regarding Sound-Smith was only for re-tipping the cartridge. Your other answers indicate the presence of potentially more than one problem. In your original post you stated that it stopped moving last week. Was it in regular use up to that point or had it been unused for a significant period of time? Before recommending a repair approach, since you’ve already been inside:

1. Do you have a VOM?

2. Do you have any soldering/desoldering experience or skills?

3. Have you ever used a circuit diagram?

If the above answer are all no, then your best bet would be 3rd-party repair. The Service Manual is online and it does not need to be repaired by a B&O service shop. Any reputable audio equipment technician should be able to fix this and they could even post here for guidance. However, you need to decide whether the cost of a re-tip plus such a repair is worth it to you versus selling it “for parts or repair” online? In yours condition they still go for $200-$300 assuming its cosmetic shape is good..

CPADave
                      • Topics Started 5
                      • Total Posts 11
                      1. no, I don’t have a fluke VOM
                      2. no soldering experience in last 50 years
                      3. no

Thanks for your help!  I’ll try to find a shop in Portland.

Hunchbacker
                        • Topics Started 8
                        • Total Posts 27

I realize this post is several months old but I thought I would toss in my 2 cents. There is a very good repair shop in Gig Harbor, WA. They deal in high end components and know their stuff. They just serviced my Beogram 4002. Much more affordable than I expected.

CPADave
                          • Topics Started 5
                          • Total Posts 11

Thank you!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Not too long

Please do not use the website at the moment,

We will be back very soon

This will close in 20 seconds