BeoGram 7000 and BeoSystem 3

Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoGram BeoGram 7000 and BeoSystem 3

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    chrisworks
    BRONZE Member
      • Topics Started 1
      • Total Posts 3

I am looking into getting a record player and was wondering if I could connect e.g. an BeoGram 7000 to my BeoSystem 3.

I currently use my BeoSystem 3 as audio only driving my Beolab 9s with a bunch of digital audio sources. I would like to connect a record player and preferably a Beogram 6000/7000 without having to get a complete Beosystem 6000/7000.

The Beosystem 3 has Masterlink but I believe that is not compatible with Beogram record players as they are using the older datalink and I assume meant for their respective Beosystems (6000/7000/etc)

Is what I would like possible?

Thx

Madskp
      GOLD Member
        • Denmark
        • Topics Started 39
        • Total Posts 972

Hello.

As I see it you have these options:

1. connect it via a Beomaster 6500/7000/3500/4500 and datalink to a 1611 Beolink converter, and Masterlink to the Beosystem 3
        2. Connect it via a Beosound overture and Masterlink to Beosystem 3
        3. Connect it via a MCL2AV and datalink to a 1611 Beolink converter, and Masterlink to the Beosystem 3. This wil require use of the CD command for controlling the Beogram. More info in this thread https://beoworld.org/forums/topic/beolab-3500-and-1611-converter-settings/page/12/#post-15630 and also if you want to go this way just ask.
        Madskp
        GOLD Member
          • Denmark
          • Topics Started 39
          • Total Posts 972

The above is asuming that you want to control the Beogram with the remote for the Beosystem 3. If you dont need remote control of the Beogram you could connect it to any sound input on the Beosystem 3 via an adapter cable

chrisworks
          BRONZE Member
            • Topics Started 1
            • Total Posts 3

Thanks a lot of the info and yes, I ideally would like to control the beogram with my remote. If I were to source a BeoSound Ouverture would it needed to visible to the remote or would that be handled by normal BeoSystem IR interaction? I would really like to go for a minimalistic look, basically just the BeoGram visible. Today everything is hidden away in my cellar and so only cables are run for IR and speakers.

So, setup would be:

BS3 -> ML -> BeoSound Ouverture -> DL -> Beogram X?

Are there any particular Beogram models that are better suited or not compatible for this setup?

I am not looking for the most exclusive, rare, etc – just a very nice sounding Beogram. They are all pleasing to the eye, so I am less concerned about the visual differences between the Beograms. 🙂

Recommendations?

Again, thank you for the info.

Madskp
            GOLD Member
              • Denmark
              • Topics Started 39
              • Total Posts 972

Hello again

My answer is assuming you do not have an other audiomaster product connected to the Masterlink of the Beosystem 3

Thanks a lot of the info and yes, I ideally would like to control the beogram with my remote. If I were to source a BeoSound Ouverture would it needed to visible to the remote or would that be handled by normal BeoSystem IR interaction? I would really like to go for a minimalistic look, basically just the BeoGram visible. Today everything is hidden away in my cellar and so only cables are run for IR and speakers.

The advantage of using datalink and masterlink is that the control signals are transmitted in the cables, and therefore you don’t need the IR eye on the BS overture to be visible, and don’t need separate IR cables. You do however need to setup the Beossytem 3 to accept both video and audio commands by putting in in option 2. With a BEO4 press: Standby + list at the same time. the press list unitil option? is shown in the display, and press go. It will now show V.opt, the press go and 2. The Beosystem 3 should now be in option 2 and accept both audio and video IR commands.

Depending on how, or if you want to use the Overture in the room it is going to be placed it could be set at different options. Option 0 it will not react to IR commands. Option 1 it will only react to audio commands, and option 2 it will react to both audio and video commands, and thereby let you have sources from the Beosystem 3 played through speakers connected to the overture if you want to do that.

BS3 -> ML -> BeoSound Ouverture -> DL -> Beogram X?

That is the correct setup. You might need a 7 Pin datalink extender cable if you place the Beogram and Overture in different rooms.

I am not looking for the most exclusive, rare, etc – just a very nice sounding Beogram. They are all pleasing to the eye, so I am less concerned about the visual differences between the Beograms.

As the Overture doesn’t have an integrated RIAA amplifier, the easyest solution would be to get af Beogram with integrated RIAA. Datalink compatible Beograms with integrated RIAA is Beogram 3500/4500/6500/7000. For difference in quality on the Beograms others might chime in. Of course you could use another Beogram without RIAA, but the you will also need and external RIAA amplifier with transfer of datalink signals.

chrisworks
              BRONZE Member
                • Topics Started 1
                • Total Posts 3

Thank you for all the useful information. This has helped a lot.

Madskp
                GOLD Member
                  • Denmark
                  • Topics Started 39
                  • Total Posts 972

No problem, just post again if you need more info

gebi
                  BRONZE Member
                    • Topics Started 2
                    • Total Posts 14

Hi,

I have a similar problem. BS3/BV9 connected via masterlink to an Overture. BS3 – option2; Overture option 0 or 2. The Overture is (with the original Din 7-pin cable) connected to a beogram 5500 via the AUX input (in the moment without preamp – will be added later). Sadly the beogram cannot be remote controlled. Could be the reason, that the beo4-remote does not sent phono-commands, as it just offers AUX over the list button?

Madskp
                    GOLD Member
                      • Denmark
                      • Topics Started 39
                      • Total Posts 972

Hi, I have a similar problem. BS3/BV9 connected via masterlink to an Overture. BS3 – option2; Overture option 0 or 2. The Overture is (with the original Din 7-pin cable) connected to a beogram 5500 via the AUX input (in the moment without preamp – will be added later). Sadly the beogram cannot be remote controlled. Could be the reason, that the beo4-remote does not sent phono-commands, as it just offers AUX over the list button?

You should be able to add the command “PHONO” or if it’s a newer BEO4 “N.RADIO (the same command) to the list.

Press and hold “Standby” + “List” and the display on the BEO4 should show ADD

Now press “GO” and press list until you find the command you want to add. When you are on the command you want to add simply press “GO” and it should now be available in the list.

Hope this helps

gebi
                      BRONZE Member
                        • Topics Started 2
                        • Total Posts 14

Thanks, I added Phono to the list on the Beo4, but still, the beogram 5500 does not react.

Pressing AUX on the overture shows AUX on the display and I can hear sound when starting the BG anually – connection is OK. But from what I read in other posts, the overture should then show PHONO as it recognizes the beogram…..correct?

IMHO – very strange, as it is reported to work. Arguably an HW defect…i.e. the cable does not have the datalink pin connected – but it looks original and is not removable from the BG.

Madskp
                        GOLD Member
                          • Denmark
                          • Topics Started 39
                          • Total Posts 972

Thanks, I added Phono to the list on the Beo4, but still, the beogram 5500 does not react. Pressing AUX on the overture shows AUX on the display and I can hear sound when starting the BG anually – connection is OK. But from what I read in other posts, the overture should then show PHONO as it recognizes the beogram…..correct? IMHO – very strange, as it is reported to work. Arguably an HW defect…i.e. the cable does not have the datalink pin connected – but it looks original and is not removable from the BG.

Do the DIN connector on the Beogram have 7 pins or are some of them missing? Normally the 2 pins in the button can be unscrewed, and one of these carries the data control signal

gebi
                          BRONZE Member
                            • Topics Started 2
                            • Total Posts 14

yes, the beogram has a 7-pin Din connector and the cable looks original and cannot be unplugged. But you are right, the problem is somewhere at the beogram. Attached are two oscilloscope traces from the overture aux/pin 7. It sends 2 times the same ‘start’ signal. Interestingly, it is the same sequence – once triggered by pressing AUX in the overture or PHONO on the Beo4….

Looks like I have I have to open the Beogram……

Madskp
                            GOLD Member
                              • Denmark
                              • Topics Started 39
                              • Total Posts 972

yes, the beogram has a 7-pin Din connector and the cable looks original and cannot be unplugged. But you are right, the problem is somewhere at the beogram. Attached are two oscilloscope traces from the overture aux/pin 7. It sends 2 times the same ‘start’ signal. Interestingly, it is the same sequence – once triggered by pressing AUX in the overture or PHONO on the Beo4…. Looks like I have I have to open the Beogram……

Have you also tried to measure at pin 6? Pin 6 and 7 should be interconnected at the Ouverture, but just to be sure.

A beogram without RIAA use pin 6 for data.

gebi
                              BRONZE Member
                                • Topics Started 2
                                • Total Posts 14

Just remeasured. Pin 6 and 7 is the same signal at the overture. Will open the BG5500 and check the cable.

Thanks for all the help.

gebi
                                BRONZE Member
                                  • Topics Started 2
                                  • Total Posts 14

Just a quick update,

could fix it. Installed new din-plug with the yellow wire to pin 6. So cool to control a beogram with the overture ;-  ….now I a have to search for a riia preamp.

Thanks for the help.

Madskp
                                  GOLD Member
                                    • Denmark
                                    • Topics Started 39
                                    • Total Posts 972

Great to hear you worked it out ?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.