BEOGRAM 5500 Scraping Sound… Any Ideas?

Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoGram BEOGRAM 5500 Scraping Sound… Any Ideas?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Isthatthebeotime
    BRONZE Member
      • Topics Started 6
      • Total Posts 47

So my BEOGRAM 5500 has started to make a brushing noice once per revolution when about half way into a 12” record but not at all on a 7”, can’t see anything it could be rubbing against… hopefully you can help identify… thank you

Mark-sf
      BRONZE Member
        • Topics Started 0
        • Total Posts 300

Check the rear of the tonearm’s clearance with the record edge.

Isthatthebeotime
        BRONZE Member
          • Topics Started 6
          • Total Posts 47

All seems fine in that regard, looking at it closely I’m starting to think it’s the platter clearance in some way, only really happens on modern 180g vinyl not the older records that I think are 120/140g so starting to think it could be the suspension, platter isn’t quite 12” and the edge of the record overhangs the surrounding plate

Mark-sf
          BRONZE Member
            • Topics Started 0
            • Total Posts 300

The service manual provides clearance specifics so I would adjust to that with your 180g records.

Dillen
              • Topics Started 3
              • Total Posts 621

180gr records are non-standard.
              Most decks can be made to play them but, ideally, if you adjust the suspension to suit 180gr records,
              you should put it back again to play standard records, because the subchassis suspension carries both
              the record, the platter, electronics and carriage of which the latter shifts the center of gravity of
              the whole subchassis when moving.

In your case I would tighten the suspension just slightly on the left and rear leaf spring.

Martin

Mark-sf
              BRONZE Member
                • Topics Started 0
                • Total Posts 300

Unfortunately,  there is no industry standard for 12” record weight. They can range from 80-200g. I have never had a problem finding a suspension height that will work with all without bottoming or scrapping. In the end it’s critical that the platter also remain level.

Dillen
                  • Topics Started 3
                  • Total Posts 621

Unfortunately, there is no industry standard for 12” record weight. They can range from 80-200g.

What? What makes you say that?
                  Just because you can buy records weighing in from 80 to 200g doesn’t mean that it’s a standard.
                  I have played a custom made record weghing more than 1Kg for a customer once.
                  The RIAA standards are fairly clear.
                  And you’ll be surprised how much is non-standard.

Martin

Isthatthebeotime
                  BRONZE Member
                    • Topics Started 6
                    • Total Posts 47

Thank you all for replying

81CD2258-B00C-44D2-B20E-A28396597B90
                    Maybe worth looking into how to adjust the suspension and do you as you suggested Dillen not sure if it’s sitting a tad low, mainly play vinyl that this BEOGRAM would have played when released from the late 80’s early 90’s so not a problem but finding most new releases or reissues are 180g, still not even sure that’s the problem but makes sense due to it only happening with heavier vinyl.

Dillen
                      • Topics Started 3
                      • Total Posts 621

Well, judging from that photo I’d say the platter rides a bit too low – at least at the left side (facing the camera).
                      Bring it up 1-1,5 mm at the left and perhaps also at the rear leaf spring and let us know how it works out.

Actually, a very low platter setting has often caused wow.
                      Reason: A 12″ record is a larger diameter than the platter and the wow comes when the record touches the
                      surrounding surface – gradually increasing as the tonearm and carriage move inwards, shifting the center of gravity. First tracks play fine, later tracks not.
                      The solution is to tighten up the suspension a little at the left/rear.

Don’t overdo.
                      Make sure the subchassis is still able to move freely.

Martin

Die_Bogener
                      BRONZE Member
                        • Topics Started 2
                        • Total Posts 247

The beograms are very old hardware, they become lower and lower… quite normal, it can be adjusted easily.

And a new belt pulls on the left side additionally, lowering the left side of the platter.

There are 3 springs on the subframe. You only need a screwdriver and a good eye for adjustments.

Just remove the white platter cover and you have access to the springs. It is not necessary to open the deck like on the picture… just to show the springs…

Martin No.2

Isthatthebeotime
                        BRONZE Member
                          • Topics Started 6
                          • Total Posts 47

C47A808D-2278-4947-9AFE-8917F1B17577
                          Before

EAB04987-CFE4-418D-A6B7-5A51F247B3D3After (Platter height 3mm)

Thank you everyone for your help… you fixed it ?

Your post Dillen made so much sense and was everything I was experiencing, can’t believe it was something so simple.

Die_Bogener thank you for the image really had no idea which was the suspension and doubt I’d have had the confidence to touch and fix the Beogram without.

Have to admit I was nervous touching it, sadly Beograms are getting harder to find and get parts for which is a shame, would be a great move on B&O’s part if they did a classic restoration and sales service (like Aston Martin Works) keeping their products alive and going forever, it’ll be sad when they no longer exist.

Thank you again everyone

PeteV
                          BRONZE Member
                            • Topics Started 1
                            • Total Posts 4

Unfortunately, there is no industry standard for 12” record weight. They can range from 80-200g.

What? What makes you say that? Just because you can buy records weighing in from 80 to 200g doesn’t mean that it’s a standard. I have played a custom made record weghing more than 1Kg for a customer once. The RIAA standards are fairly clear. And you’ll be surprised how much is non-standard. Martin

Strictly speaking Mark-sf is correct. The RIAA standard for records give dimensions, not weight. However, if you look at the standard, it requires 301.6mm diameter and 1.9mm (+- 0.3mm) thickness. This gives a volume of about 134cc, and hence a standard weight of about 185 gr (standard PVC @ 1.4 g/cc), or a range of about 160 – 210g if you take into account the thickness variation. So all those old 120g records are the ones which are non-standard, not the 180g ones.

Dillen
                              • Topics Started 3
                              • Total Posts 621

Keep in mind that the record is typically thicker around the perimeter than in the actual playing area,
                              – to ensure the needle moves inwards in order to find the groove – rather than outwards.

Martin

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.