BeoGram 5500 arm adjustment

Tagged: ,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ismo
      • Topics Started 3
      • Total Posts 12

Hi

I have a problem with arm adjustment. The arm has suffered some impact and is now in wrong position. To start play, needle is not going on right position. The whole arm unit is twisted couple degrees so needle end is not going close enough to LP. Adjusting the start position to max IN, is not enough to reach the LP edge(or close but not close enough). Question is how to get arm aligned when it seems to be one “block”. I can start playing by ->play->lift->move arm more IN. I need to find a way to twist needle head more IN mechanically. The angle is wrong and not aligned by the edge of chassis. Its clearly seen by eye. Is it impossible ? How are the arms (needle & speed display), connected to rest of the arms unit?

adjust1armsadjust2

Evereddie
        • SF Bay Area
        • Topics Started 2
        • Total Posts 12

There are Service manuals available for the Beogram 5500. Service manuals are available for downloading if you are a silver or gold level member.

This may provide the answer to your questions.

Ismo
          • Topics Started 3
          • Total Posts 12

I have the manual that has mechanical photos etc. But cannot really see how it is possible to twist the whole arms module couple mm’s back to correct position. As said the arm does not go parallel with the housing of the player. The arm module is on those rails beneath it and rails seem to be ok.

-ismo-

Ismo
            • Topics Started 3
            • Total Posts 12

I see there is separate adjustment for start position. That I adjusted as far as it can be. It helped a little. Needle is just about over the record.

But there is described the arm movement adjustement. Can it help to solve this problem that arm could go a bit further over the record when starting playing. I havent had the courage to try that adjustement.

-ismo-

Mark-sf
              • Topics Started 0
              • Total Posts 258

To address this you need to upload a picture that actually shows the arm skew you are referring to. It’s not clear whether both arms are skewed or just the tonearm. The arm movement adjustment only governs the perpendicularity of the arm to the grove as it plays the record and is not a factor when the arm is cued up.

Ismo
                • Topics Started 3
                • Total Posts 12

Yeah the above photo is not showing the issue(bad photo angle). But both arms are skewed just enough to make this a problem. I understood that there is that fine tuning (showed in photos above), which I managed to adjust as far as they can be. And now the needle is just and just above the record. But it varies by records.

So there is another adjustement that might help but I am not sure. I refer to picture below. Since the arms are skewed and I cannot see any reason straight away why. I hope I can get around the problem by making more adjustements.

5500 adjustment

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Not too long

Please do not use the website at the moment,

We will be back very soon

This will close in 20 seconds