Beogram 4002 Tonearm Sets Down at End of Platter With No Record

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoGram Beogram 4002 Tonearm Sets Down at End of Platter With No Record

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jfrancis49
    SILVER Member
      • Topics Started 13
      • Total Posts 34

Hello All,

I posted a couple of weeks ago about a Beogram 4002 type 5513 that I was restoring and did thanks to help on this forum. I had got it fully working with a lot of help from Mark-sf with some 45 rpm issues and other glitches. Well several weeks later and . . . it is working fine but for one thing, Today I pushed the start button with no record on the turntable and the tonearm went all the way to the end of the platter toward the spindle and then tried to set down. The solenoid clicked and it corrected itself before fully setting down. So I put a broken cartridge on the tonearm and tried it again. It did the same thing but tried to set all the way down. I tried pushing start multiple times and it would not repeat the error again for another 10 attempts. And then it started to set down and the solenoid clicked and it corrected itself and went back to the off position. The next time I pushed start it also tried to set down at the end of the platter.

Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks in advance.

John

Mark-sf
      BRONZE Member
        • Topics Started 0
        • Total Posts 258

It sounds like the End of Travel switch is not engaging early enough. This can be either the adjustment of the plastic optical right angle piece that  engages it or the parallelism of it to the threaded rod that the arm moves on. You should also clean its contacts.

sonavor
        BRONZE Member
          • Topics Started 0
          • Total Posts 59

Hi John,

Examine the position sensor slide scale.  You might have to remove it to see what is going on. Either way, see what the second switch (that the slide scale engages…the ES switch) looks like.  I have seen a couple cases where the scale moves beyond where it was intended to travel, then bends the ES switch the wrong way (often breaking it).  With a non-functioning ES switch, the tangential arm assembly will keep trying to move left.  When playing a record the Beogram 4002 sensor for the out groove should trigger a stop and return but when advancing with the tonearm up, the ES switch must engage.

If you can see that the ES switch is intact, try operating it manually with the slide scale removed.

-sonavor

jfrancis49
          SILVER Member
            • Topics Started 13
            • Total Posts 34

Thank you Mark and Sonavor! You pointed me in the right direction, it was the plastic rule for the sensor that was set to far to the left on the metal guide rail. After reading your posts I remembered that a week or so ago, I reset the rule because the tone arm was no raising automatically at the end play on one of my records. The beginning set down and end point seem to vary depending on the record so I must have over adjusted the ruler.

Thank you again!

John

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.