Beogram 4002 Restoration

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoGram Beogram 4002 Restoration

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    ChristianHak
    BRONZE Member
      • Topics Started 5
      • Total Posts 18

Hi all,

I have just gotten my hands on a pretty trashed BG 4002 so I am trying my hand at doing a full restoration on it. I received it in a really bad condition – the power cable and phono cable had both been cut and are missing, I have no idea if any of the internal electronic components work, the plinth has had water damage, the aluminium strip on the dust hood is wrecked, the chassis paint job is in total disrepair. So in short, I have a mammoth task ahead of me, but considering it is in such bad shape, I don’t feel bad having a crack at it as if I make a mistake, at least I’m not ruining a fully functional record player.

My plan of attack is to start with the cosmetic and physical stuff, which I feel most comfortable with, followed by the electronics and internals (which I have next to no experience with and as such will take a lot of research and help).

Feel free to chime in with advice and tips! There is much knowledge and experience here which I am hoping to draw upon.

Thanks in advance!

Christian

ChristianHak
      BRONZE Member
        • Topics Started 5
        • Total Posts 18

First step was to remove the plinth to make a new one. The original was chipboard with rosewood veneer. I assume it has been exposed to water at some point as the chipboard was swollen, and the metal was rusted in parts.

IMG_6384

I decided to remake the plinth in oak to match the furniture at home.

I milled a few oversize pieces of oak and let them sit for a few days to relieve any tension in the timber before milling them to their final size. I milled up a few extra pieces in case I made any mistakes and so I can test a few different finishes. Each strip of timber will make one plinth so that the grain will be continuous.

IMG_6464

I have seen a few restored plinths made with a mitre and splines but I think I prefer the original joinery so decided to go with that instead. I programmed the CNC to do all the joinery. I had to make a vacuum hold-down jig as the parts are so small and difficult to secure when milling.

IMG_6480

The joinery ended up really well. The small details look great and are a nod to the original. This is what it looked like before gluing.

IMG_6477

Here is the end result. I have oiled one (the darker looking one). I will spray the other one with lacquer. Afterwards I will decide which one I like the best.

IMG_6482

IMG_6481

The metal fixtures had some chipped paint and surface rust so I removed the rust, sanded them down and refinished them with flat black paint. They turned out great!

ChristianHak
        BRONZE Member
          • Topics Started 5
          • Total Posts 18

Next step was to disassemble everything from the chassis and the back piece of the dust hood. The current condition is horrible. The previous owner had made an attempt at starting a restoration and it seem he had tried to sand off the paint.

IMG_6379

It was very interesting disassembling the turntable. I enjoy seeing how things are put together and work. I made sure to label everything and take a million photos of how it goes back together. I removed the old sticker labels so that I can adhere them again after it has been refinished.

IMG_6434IMG_6435

IMG_6436

My plan is to have these pieces sand blasted to remove the old paint before refinishing it myself. I have sent off a few emails to get some quotes on the sand blasting. Has anyone got any experience with restoring the chassis?

ChristianHak
          BRONZE Member
            • Topics Started 5
            • Total Posts 18

Next step was to disassemble everything from the chassis and the back piece of the dust hood. The current condition is horrible. The previous owner had made an attempt at starting a restoration and it seem he had tried to sand off the paint.

IMG_6379

It was very interesting disassembling the turntable. I enjoy seeing how things are put together and work. I made sure to label everything and take a million photos of how it goes back together. I removed the old sticker labels so that I can adhere them again after it has been refinished.

IMG_6434IMG_6435

IMG_6436

My plan is to have these pieces sand blasted to remove the old paint before refinishing it myself. I have sent off a few emails to get some quotes on the sand blasting. Has anyone got any experience with restoring the chassis?

ChristianHak
            BRONZE Member
              • Topics Started 5
              • Total Posts 18

Your joint work is much better than B&O 4000c recreation wood trim joint.

Have you seen a 4000c in the flesh? Does anyone on this forum have a 4000c or know of anyone that has one? I have a few questions for them regarding the upgrades.

Also, has anyone had their 400x serviced with the upgrade kit?

auric
              BRONZE Member
                • Topics Started 26
                • Total Posts 64

I haven’t seen one in the flesh.

Here’s a video of the restoration program: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9f6hXYk8ac&t=71s

You can email the company featured.

schanzenbaecher
                BRONZE Member
                  • Topics Started 2
                  • Total Posts 8

I am interested in assembled plinths in rosewood and smoked oak.

schanzenbaecher
                  BRONZE Member
                    • Topics Started 2
                    • Total Posts 8

I am interested in assembled plinths in rosewood and smoked oak.

ChristianHak
                    BRONZE Member
                      • Topics Started 5
                      • Total Posts 18

This is a detail diagram of the classic joint.

IMG_0208

And this is the 4000c joinery. Note, this joint has an extra rebate as well as splines.

IMG_0207

etype76
                      BRONZE Member
                        • Topics Started 17
                        • Total Posts 65

Nice work! You’ve clearly put a lot of thought into not only the plinth and wood choices but also the practicality of shipping them around the world. It would be useful if you could show sample wood grains/colours etc. When my 4000 has been working a while without issue 🙂 I’d be interested if they are also compatible with the 4000.

Glitch
                        BRONZE Member
                          • Topics Started 18
                          • Total Posts 267

I spent some time researching and working out a way to send such a fragile piece, and I think I have found a good solution. I will custom make the boxes which should be able to withstand international shipping. The aim was to make a box that doesn’t compress or twist and which weighs less than 1kg in total to make shipping more affordable.

I like the box. Very neat. A minor improvement would be to add some support between the ends of the “U” (i.e. make it structurally more like an “O”). This would reduce the chance that the plinth breaks due to its own mass during a hard impact.

I’m always a bit surprised by how brutal shipping can be.  When I pack something for shipping, I imagine it being dropped off a moving vehicle, then sat on by a toddler. 😉

Glitch

ChristianHak
                          BRONZE Member
                            • Topics Started 5
                            • Total Posts 18

It would be useful if you could show sample wood grains/colours etc. When my 4000 has been working a while without issue ? I’d be interested if they are also compatible with the 4000.

I’ll put together some samples of the different timber options.

I’ll be making plinths for both the 4000 and the 4002. From my understanding they are slightly different lengths. Would you mind measuring the outside lengths on the front and side of your 4000? I don’t currently have a 4000 on hand to measure. Thanks!

ChristianHak
                            BRONZE Member
                              • Topics Started 5
                              • Total Posts 18

Very nice indeed. For shipping considerations, it would also be good to know where you ship from. Martin

Hi Martin,

These will be shipped from Brisbane, Australia. Currently, the best price I can find for shipping is ~$45 (Australian dollars) which includes tracking. This is roughly 30USD, 30EUR, 24GBP.

I also thought I would note that I studied furniture making in Copenhagen, Denmark and make fine furniture for a living, so I will make sure that these are perfect before I send them off to the wider world 🙂

ChristianHak
                              BRONZE Member
                                • Topics Started 5
                                • Total Posts 18

A minor improvement would be to add some support between the ends of the “U” (i.e. make it structurally more like an “O”). This would reduce the chance that the plinth breaks due to its own mass during a hard impact. I’m always a bit surprised by how brutal shipping can be. When I pack something for shipping, I imagine it being dropped off a moving vehicle, then sat on by a toddler. ? Glitch

Hi Glitch,
                                Yes, shipping can be brutal! I was contemplating doing a few drop and bump tests but I didn’t want to destroy some perfectly good packaging (the honeycomb cardboard isn’t the cheapest) haha.

I will take on board your suggestion and incorporate a support between the open end of the plinth by gluing in a spacer.

etype76
                                BRONZE Member
                                  • Topics Started 17
                                  • Total Posts 65

I’ll check the dimensions of the 4000 this weekend and post pics.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.