Beogram 1700

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Baz1972
    BRONZE Member

Hi all,

I have the chance to buy a Beogram 1700 in very good condition but the seller says that when a record is played the arm is just basically gliding across the record to the spindle. I know these turntables have the anti skate set at the factory but is there anyway to adjust this myself. Any information will be gladly welcome

cheers

baz

Dillen
      FOUNDER Member

Wrong tracking force setting?
        Bad stylus?

Beogram 1700 is a wonderful deck.

Matin

Baz1972
        BRONZE Member

Not sure on the stylus as I don’t have the turntable yet, can the anti skate be adjusted on a Beogram 1700? Cheers baz

Dillen
          FOUNDER Member

Yes, but it’s neither particularly easy nor apparent how, and not something owners typically mess with.
            It’s far more likely to be one of the reasons I listed above.

Martin

Baz1972
            BRONZE Member

Ok I will investigate both when I pick it up on Saturday. Cheers

matador
              BRONZE Member
                • Paris France

Beogram 1700 is a wonderful deck.

Hi Martin, could you please elaborate on what “academically” makes a deck wonderful and why the 1700 is part of them?

Thanks.

Dillen
                FOUNDER Member

Well.. they just always seem to be great performers.
                  Of the type 57xx family, Beogram 1700 was the newest of the “squares”.
                  It has the DC-servo controlled motor, it has the slimline tonearm with the round counterweight (read: easier adjustable tracking force) but still carries the good MMC20-series cartridge.
                  Good platter, and it doesn’t have the operation panel with the somewhat flimsy buttons found on the sloping models.

All in all it’s just a stabile and solid build causing few problems.

Only thing you could argue is that it doesn’t have datalink.

Martin

Saint Beogrowler
                  BRONZE Member

I’ve alexia’s liked these. The brass

thing that raises and lowers the arm

gets gummed up with old lubricants on

these. A good cleaning and new lubricants

helps, and setting appropriate tracking force

will probably fix all

Saint Beogrowler
                    BRONZE Member

I’ve always liked these. The brass thing that raises and lowers the arm gets gummed up with old lubricants on these. A good cleaning and new lubricants helps, and setting appropriate tracking force will probably fix all

Dasbird
                      BRONZE Member

I picked up a Beogram 1700 from my parents that has been in their attic for 25 years. It was hardly ever used. I am trying to set it up for my daughter who loves her vinyl. I tried to play a record by pressing the 33 button. The arm will move over, drop, and then pick back up. It will continue to drop for a moment and then pick back up over and over until I hit pause and move the arm back. At one point it moved back and then moved 1/3 of the way across the record, dropped, and then continued to play without interruption.

I have not hooked it up to an old amp yet because I was trying to see if it even worked still or if the stylus needs replacement before I dig out my old amp and speakers. I am turntable rookie having grown up with Cassettes and then CDs. Can anyone provide any feedback on the cause of the issue? Is this an issue that can be fixed? The stylus is the original MMC20EN and it looks like the needle is intact, and when it does drop on the record you can hear the music. Any help is greatly appreciated!

JC
                        BRONZE Member

it has the slimline tonearm with the round counterweight (read: easier adjustable tracking force)

Did this newer and lighter tonearm sound different than the previous rectangular  arm? It looks less solid to me.

Dillen
                          FOUNDER Member

It’s solid enough, unless you misuse it or pack it badly for transport. But I suppose that goes for all tonearms.
                            Does it sound any different? – Well, not that I can tell, but perhaps it can be measured.
                            It’s much lighter and has a different resonance frequency.

Martin

JC
                            BRONZE Member

Thank you for responding.

The Beogram 1700 appears not to have a “stop” control-button, like the 1900/1902; a strange omission in my view. Now you have to touch the tonearm to return it after pushing “pauze”.

Mark-sf
                              BRONZE Member

Thank you for responding. The Beogram 1700 appears not to have a “stop” control-button, like the 1900/1902; a strange omission in my view. Now you have to touch the tonearm to return it after pushing “pauze”.

You are correct. The only automatic arm movements supported are starting and end of record. Pause assumes you are going to manually move the tonearm so if you want to end a record early you do it manually through Pause.

JC
                                BRONZE Member

A nice solution could have been to touch the “pauze” button twice for “stop”, but perhaps that was too complicated to design in those days.

NigelSethSmith
                                  BRONZE Member

Something that caught me out with my beogram 1700. I set the tracking weight to 1.1 grams, I thought, and the stylus shot across the record. I’d actually set it to 0.11 grams. The calibration is in tenths of a gram. To get the 1.1 grams that the stylus needs, you set it to 11 (shades of Spinal Tap), i.e. one complete rotation of the counterweight plus one unit.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.