Beocord 8002: Did I get the capacitor orientation correct here?

Home Forums The Workbench Beocord 8002: Did I get the capacitor orientation correct here?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    quattttro
    BRONZE Member
      • Topics Started 7
      • Total Posts 47

This is board #3, playback/bias, on a Beocord 8002. Looking at the schematic, it seems sometimes the positive and sometimes the negative end of the cap goes to signal ground, so I just want to make sure I got it correct here.

Mark-sf
      BRONZE Member
        • Topics Started 0
        • Total Posts 258

I can’t tell from your picture but the correct orientation is marked on the board.

Glitch
        BRONZE Member
          • Topics Started 18
          • Total Posts 267

Looking at the schematic, it seems sometimes the positive and sometimes the negative end of the cap goes to signal ground

I assume that you are referring to things like C2 & C204? The schematic makes sense since the “negative” lead of the capacitor is connected to a voltage lower than ground. This would keep the electrolytic capacitor (properly) forward biased.

I can’t tell if how the capacitors are installed on the circuit board are correct. Markings on the board are usually accurate, but not always. Mistakes happen in printing the boards and I don’t blame any manufacture for not scrapping boards for this kind of mistake. Same goes for printed schematics. Many times they “fix” the issue by an obscure errata statement.

The best practice is to install new capacitors with the same orientation as the original ones. Taking “before” pictures of the circuit board can be really helpful as part of the quality control or debugging process.

If all else fails, verify that the electrolytic capacitors are forward biased with a voltage measurement.

Glitch

quattttro
          BRONZE Member
            • Topics Started 7
            • Total Posts 47

I realize that, it’s just that on at least one of these caps, the positive goes to the solid, filled-in side of the label, whereas normally, the solid part of the label indicates negative (-).

quattttro
            BRONZE Member
              • Topics Started 7
              • Total Posts 47

If all else fails, verify that the electrolytic capacitors are forward biased with a voltage measurement.

Thanks. I don’t think the markings are incorrect, I just found them somewhat counterintuitive. Thanks for clarifying. I also found some old pics in the archives that have helped confirm.

Dillen
                • Topics Started 4
                • Total Posts 390

The “solid” marking indicates ground.
                That’s not necessarily the capacitors negative pin because some capacitors work with negative voltages.
                The best reference is what the factory fitted (though that is not always guaranteed to be correct either).

Martin

quattttro
                BRONZE Member
                  • Topics Started 7
                  • Total Posts 47

The “solid” marking indicates ground. That’s not necessarily the capacitors negative pin because some capacitors work with negative voltages. The best reference is what the factory fitted (though that is not always guaranteed to be correct either). Martin

that makes it clear, thanks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.