Beocord 8000, 9000 Take-up reel rebuild

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    chilibt
      • Topics Started 3
      • Total Posts 33

I recently replaced the rubber ‘tires’ for the idler wheels in the tape drive mechanism for my not working BC 9000 and installed new belts.  Once tested it did not turn.  Upon comparing the Take-up reels from my older Beocord 8000 deck,  this one was hard to turn.  It was really stiff.

The  manual does not show a way to fix this.  Can someone suggest how I an disassemble to clean and lube it?   (There is no expanded view in the service manual either).

chartz
        • Burgundy
        • Topics Started 3
        • Total Posts 199

Hi,

Did you set the brake pad correctly? It should be inside the wheel, not outside. I think I had the problem but that was a long time ago…

Glitch
          • Topics Started 18
          • Total Posts 267

chilibt: Is your question about the plastic part not spinning easily on the metal shaft when that sub-assembly is removed from the main-assembly? (sorry if my description isn’t very good)

Glitch

chilibt
            • Topics Started 3
            • Total Posts 33

Hi,  thanks for the questions. No matter how I try, I always leave out something important.

yes the brake pad was set inside,  and the stiffness in the Black plastic reel was not discovered until removed as in the photo.  It should rotate easily on the metal shaft, but this is much harder to rotate in comparison with the 8000 unit I used as a comparison.  It was so stiff that is became obvious a drive belt and/or tyre(tire) would not be able to move it without slipping.   I am thinking a lubricant needs to be cleaned off and reapplied.

It looks like the top cap slides off.  I tried with my fingernail and it did not move with moderate force (which caused me to stop trying until getting more info).

I am a bit apprehensive to disassemble plastic parts that are friction fit without some guidance so it does not break.

Glitch
              • Topics Started 18
              • Total Posts 267

I had a very similar issue. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to figure out how to get it apart for proper cleaning and lubrication. It seems logical that, if it was assembled, it could be disassembled. I didn’t want to risk permanently damaging the part either.

Mine wasn’t that bad and I got it to run free by adding a very small amount of plastic safe oil and spinning it until it ran free. I would have rather restored it properly.

Glitch

chilibt
                • Topics Started 3
                • Total Posts 33

I understand, my thoughts exactly.

As there is a part number for each side, and a separate for the tip so they must come off?  Perhaps removal destroys the old tip and once on, the new tip cannot be easily removed?

Do you know if a safe solvent may be used prior to new oil?  if so what type?

Also there is a felt pad inside, does it have a “oil free” status?  If so this gets more complex.

chartz
                  • Burgundy
                  • Topics Started 3
                  • Total Posts 199

The top cap can be removed with moderate force (go ahead, don’t be shy) and can be put back on. Many cassette deck reels use this assembly method.

Clean the metal shaft with some white spirit then some DTE oil may be applied inside the reel’s central hole (one tiny drop) before reassembling. The felt washer shouldn’t be oiled.

chilibt
                    • Topics Started 3
                    • Total Posts 33

Thank you for the advice.

The cap did come off with careful prying using my fingernails, one nail on both sides.  Some twisting and tilting got it off with a bit of force.  It was cleaned and reassembled.  The cap clicked back on the grove in the shaft firmly making is a solid seat.  It is definitely a critical tiny piece not to be lost.

The result was a reel that spins like a top for several turns after a quick flick with my fingers.

The other reel was done also.

It is apparent the reels do not disassemble beyond what was done.

thanks again!

Terry

chartz
                      • Burgundy
                      • Topics Started 3
                      • Total Posts 199

Good and well done Terry  😀

Glitch
                        • Topics Started 18
                        • Total Posts 267

chartz: Thanks for the info. This is the kind of thing that makes this website great!

chilibt: Thanks for this picture! It makes it clear what is going on.

Glitch

Glitch
                          • Topics Started 18
                          • Total Posts 267

Based on the info above, I decided to revisit the lubrication of the supply and take-up reels on my BC9000. Here is a close-up of the cap and spindle.

Tape_Deck_Spindle

I noticed that the original lubrication was an amber colored, medium density grease. The grease on the shaft itself was hard to identify, but there was a small amount of grease in the groove of the cap that looks original and is not between moving parts. This is a bit odd since the service manual calls for Floil on the shaft. In researching this, others have also described grease at this location.

I wonder if the difference in lubrication was a running change, an oversight in the manual, or something else. I doubt that it really matters as long as the tape deck works reliably.

Glitch

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Not too long

Please do not use the website at the moment,

We will be back very soon

This will close in 20 seconds