BEOCORD 5500 stops after 5 seconds

Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoCord BEOCORD 5500 stops after 5 seconds

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jerryege
    BRONZE Member
      • Topics Started 7
      • Total Posts 23

I have a BEOCORD 5500 and no matter what function i try it stops after 5 seconds. i have assumed it thinks there is no tape present so wondered if there was a sensor to detect a tape in place and running, but i cant see one and the only exploded view is of the BEOCORD 5000 which has a belt driven optical sensor. the 5500 does not appear to have this so maybe its another issue.

all lights up beautifully but after the 5 seconds it drops back into standby.

any thoughs?

Dillen
        • Topics Started 3
        • Total Posts 594

Two different tape drives were used in these autoreverse decks.
        One type has a belt-driven tape motion sensor.

Martin

Jerryege
        BRONZE Member
          • Topics Started 7
          • Total Posts 23

Thanks Martin. This doesn’t have a secondary belt. Any idea why it’s happening?

Jerryege
          BRONZE Member
            • Topics Started 7
            • Total Posts 23

still no further, the standby light is one and when I press any function it comes to life for about 5 seconds then goes back into standby. for the 5 seconds it appears to work correctly, just doesn’t carry on.

I’m a bit stumped. there is just one belt and I cannot see if there is a ‘tape running’ sensor as I had a similar issue with my old beocord 500 where it would stop if the tape counter belt wasn’t attached.

Any thought on what to look at next?

Dillen
              • Topics Started 3
              • Total Posts 594

Could be the safety circuit kicking in. It kicks in if the motor is loaded abnormally.
              This can happen, if something has seized or running rough in the mech. or if the belts are not correct (too thick or too tight).
              – Ebay belts?

Martin

Jerryege
              BRONZE Member
                • Topics Started 7
                • Total Posts 23

Belt looks original and not tensions seams correct, not overly tight. I agree it looks that way but also cut off if you just press display or stop so no motor use at all. (See video)

I have another fully working 5500 so I may swap out the tape unit and see if I can isolate the problem to the mechanism or the circuitry

Dillen
                  • Topics Started 3
                  • Total Posts 594

The motor runs all the time, when the Beocord is out of standby.

Martin

Jerryege
                  BRONZE Member
                    • Topics Started 7
                    • Total Posts 23

Okay, I’ll try swapping out the mechanism  so we can isolate the issue. It’ll give me the chance to check one against the other as well.

Dillen
                      • Topics Started 3
                      • Total Posts 594

Does both tape reels rotate during the few seconds when the tape is playing?

Martin

Jerryege
                      BRONZE Member
                        • Topics Started 7
                        • Total Posts 23

yes, functions appear to be normal. FF and RW also and it appears to track skip and i can ‘turn’ the head to reverse during play.

Even if i just press ‘display’ it lights up for a few seconds.

Jerryege
                        BRONZE Member
                          • Topics Started 7
                          • Total Posts 23
                          KingdaKa1971
                          BRONZE Member
                            • Topics Started 0
                            • Total Posts 1

I just had the same issue, after replacing the belt (yes, from Beoparts) on the Beocord 5500 it every time stopped playing/ff/rew, after 4-5 seconds. when checking, I discovered that the belt was pulling itself up to the side of the pulley of the motor (almost rolling off). The pulley was to deep to the motor. after pulling it back up so that the metal center and the pulley were aligned (and in line with the capstan wheels), the belt kept on the correct place. This did the trick in my case.

Probably I pushed the pulley in while handling the tape mechanism.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoCord BEOCORD 5500 stops after 5 seconds

• You must be logged in to create new topics.