Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Beocord 5500 sticking drawer

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoCord Beocord 5500 sticking drawer

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    CharlieWednesday
    GOLD Member
      • Liverpool
      • Topics Started 12
      • Total Posts 32

I snapped up a Beocord 5500 from eBay recently and was pleasantly surprised by the condition – it plays and records well (it didn’t even need new tape belts) and is in good cosmetic condition.

However I am having trouble with the drawer.  It does work but is very sluggish and sticks sometimes.  If I put my turntable on top of it, the weight seems to stop the drawer being able to open and close at all without encouragement.  It does make a bit of a metal-on-metal noise when it is opening and closing too.

The drawer belt was a bit loose so I replaced it with a better one, but it hasn’t really made any difference; it still sticks, especially when my turntable is on top of it.

It actually comes apart quite easily and I’ve had a good look around inside but there is nothing obviously wrong.  The drawer opens and closes much more smoothly when the cover is off, but still not quite as well as I thank it should.

So, some oiling, or greasing maybe? Does anyone have any experience of this problem and could offer me some advice? I’d be very grateful if you do.

Glitch
      BRONZE Member
        • Topics Started 15
        • Total Posts 303

Check the metal braces on the underside of the upper cover. The plastic “rivets” that connect the brace to the cover can fail. This lets the cover interfere with the drawer. Also check the screw for mounting the drawer motor. This can rub if the drawer rollers have settled.

Glitch

Dillen
          • Topics Started 3
          • Total Posts 590

It’s not uncommon to see the Beocords rubber feet missing as they harden with age.
          The outer parts break off, while the inner parts fall inwards where they will often
          get stuck between the Beocords bottom plate and the drawer, causing a braking effect.
          Look in from the front with a torch light.

Martin

CharlieWednesday
          GOLD Member
            • Liverpool
            • Topics Started 12
            • Total Posts 32

Brilliant thank you – both of those checked, the rivets look okay but you were right about those rubber feet Dillen – I managed to pry the bits out and it’s now opening and closing fully, even with the Beogram on top of it.

It’s still a bit noisy so I think I’ll open it up and see if there are any other bits of hardened rubber still lingering.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoCord Beocord 5500 sticking drawer

• You must be logged in to create new topics.