Beocenter 9500 Spares/Repairs UK

Home Forums For Sale & Wanted Private Sales Beocenter 9500 Spares/Repairs UK

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    RossJP
      • Topics Started 7
      • Total Posts 8

In a nutshell: it used to work (with some issues), I tried to fix it, I think I’ve ruined it.  I bought this last summer, and used it with beovox speakers.  Sound was all good, I did have some concerns over how loud it would go, but think this was just because I was trying to use 2 pairs of beovox.  When just using one pair it worked fine.

There were a few issues:

1.      It started saying CODE when turned on.  I read about how to unlock it (1271 on remote), and this was fine, but wanted to replace the battery so I don’t have to do this every time.  Also, when switched back on, the display started flickering, and the balance kept going over to one side.  I read this was likely all related to the battery.  So I bought a battery.  The right one, with solder tabs.

2.      The CD player wouldn’t load CDs.  And then, 5 minutes later it would.  Like it needed to get warmed up.  Then, it would play any CD.  I read this was likely capacitors, so bought a cap kit from Beoparts.  I also bought a new belt for the tape and CD door, because although they did work, they didn’t move totally smoothly.

I already had some of the right tools (multi-meter, soldering station, correct screwdrivers, etc) and bought some other things to help, like a soldering iron with vac pump to remove solder.

I opened up the beocenter.  I expected to find a bonnet-stay in there (thought I’d seen one on pics online, and in the manual), but if it was ever there it was gone now.  I made my own.

I identified board 40 with the battery.  I disconnected the connectors, but there was one 2-pin (on the edge) and one 5-pin (inside) which I didn’t realise are not connectors, they are blocks soldered to the board.  Stupidly, I kept levering them until the pins pulled out of the board.  Once I realised my mistake, I bought some connectors and sockets of the right size, and fitted them the board.  I had photos to confirm all wires ended up in the right place, and also traced them with the wiring diagrams to make double sure.

new connectornew connector 2new connector 3new connector 4

I replaced the battery.

I removed the CD player unit, then took the circuit board off.  I changed all the capacitors as per the Beoparts directions.  I have double checked the polarity.  One of them, the boxy shaped one, appears to be non-polarized.

I changed the door belts.

I put it all back together.  I plugged it in.  The CD door moved slightly open.  And nothing else.  No response to controls on the unit or the remote, or anything displayed.  I opened it up again, and plugged it in while open.  The CD spins, and just keeps going, so there is power.  But nothing else.  I have checked and rechecked that everything is connected, the battery polarity is correct, the cap polarities are correct, the connectors I fitted are all going to the right pins.  I found one pin on the internal connector inside board 40 which didn’t have continuity to where it should.  It wasn’t a dry joint, but maybe damage in the board.  Anyway, I added a wire to make the connection.  This didn’t fix the problem.  It’s the red wire in this picture (the black wire was already there):

new wire

So here it is, it’s all back together.  I have 1 screw left, which I think is a 3rd screw for holding down board 40 which I missed.  If there were any board 40 for sale on ebay I’d buy and try that out, but there aren’t.  I would guess it’s board 40 I have ballsed up, but I don’t have anywhere to go from here.

It’s in good physical condition, the mirror panels have only very minor blemishes.  I’m not sure if the Powerlink connections work – I couldn’t get them to work with my Beolab 2 speakers, but they did work with the Beovox speakers.  Some of the screws which hold the lid on have been rounded by someone using the wrong screwdriver – not me! And they do still work with the correct T-10 screwdriver.

I have tried my best to fix this, and now I have to stop, because I don’t know what to do next, and because I have a busy job, 2 kids, 3 old cars, and I can’t spend more time on this.  So here it is, spares or repairs, I wish I hadn’t made a mess of fixing it, but I think I have.  I can wrap it up really well and ship to UK mainland, you can collect from me in Bridgend, South Wales, or I could try to meet you?  I don’t know what it’s worth – £200?

whole unit

This is the worst bit of the mirror finish: mirror tarnish

This shows some fading to the lettering: letter fading

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Not too long

Please do not use the website at the moment,

We will be back very soon

This will close in 20 seconds