Beocenter 8500 – temperamental CD player

Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoCenter Beocenter 8500 – temperamental CD player

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    CharlieWednesday
    GOLD Member
      • Liverpool
      • Topics Started 16
      • Total Posts 48

I have edited on my previous long post and stripped it down to just one help request, having figured the rest out!

I have just got hold of a Beocenter 8500, and there is an issue with the CD player.  I have cleaned the lens but it remains temperamental.

It will sometimes play a disc, but rarely.  When a CD is added the track numbers show up, but when pressing play, most of the time the disc just spins for a few seconds then it stops, the clock remains at 0:00.  Sometimes the door also slides open, as thought the unit thinks there is no disc inserted.  If I keep trying it will occasionally play the disc, but only quite rarely.

Maybe it’s just lens alignment, but I nave never tinkered with a CD lens before; I don’t know where to adjust it?  I have read also that capacitors can require replacement and I have seen that a kit is available quite cheaply from Beoparts Shop, but I’d rather not start soldering unless I am absolutely sure that is the issue.

So, does anyone recognise this issue, and know the likely cause?

Addendum 07/05/2024:  Continuing to test it, I’ve also found it plays some CDs almost every time, but others it will have the above problem.  It’s not the condition o the CDs – they are brand new and unmarked.  This makes me think it is unlikely to be the capacitor problem as surely that would be the same for any CD?  Laser alignment seems the most likely solution but I don’t know how to adjust it.

CharlieWednesday
      GOLD Member
        • Liverpool
        • Topics Started 16
        • Total Posts 48

Hate to bump a post but I’d really love to get my CD player fixed – any ideas?

Multicare
        GOLD Member
          • Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK
          • Topics Started 2
          • Total Posts 49

Hi,

Your issue is more than likely the capacitors that are available from Beoparts.
          There is an adjustment for the laser power which can been seen in the service manual.

Have a read of the following in the archived forum.

https://archivedforum.beoworld.org/forums/t/32637.aspx

CharlieWednesday
          GOLD Member
            • Liverpool
            • Topics Started 16
            • Total Posts 48

Thanks for the help.  I had read about the capacitor issue elsewhere and I had already seen the capacitor kit available from Beoparts; I guess I was just hoping to fix it without a soldering iron!

I read the service manual and it seemed to indicate that you could remove the CD transport by removing a couple of screws and it just flips up, but I could not get mine to move much when I tried that, and I was afraid of damaging it.

I’ll have another go at getting the CD transport out so I can assess the work required.  I do like fixing these things myself, but I may decide that a professional is needed in this case.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoCenter Beocenter 8500 – temperamental CD player

• You must be logged in to create new topics.