Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Beocenter 8500 – phono stage?

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoCenter Beocenter 8500 – phono stage?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Steve at Sounds Heavenly
    BRONZE Member
      • Topics Started 50
      • Total Posts 364

Hi,

As neither the Beocenter 8500 or the Beogram 3300 have a phono stage built in, you will need a separate phono stage in order to connect them. One example is the one linked below from my website, which comes with all cables needed and full instructions, ready to “plug and play”:-

https://soundsheavenly.com/beogram-record-players/12-2196-pre-amp-bundle-for-bo-beogram-and-all-turntables.html#/36-output-5_pin_din_aux/41-power_supply-uk – please choose the “5 pin DIN plug” output option for your Beocenter.

For reference, Beogram 3300 is an earlier model from just before B&O moved the pre-amplifier from the music system to the turntable, whereas your Beocenter 8500 is the later model from after this change. The change meant that it was possible to have more freedom over the placement of a later turntable – the inclusion of the pre-amp in the later Beogram 3500, 4500, 6500 and 7000 meant that they no longer needed to be kept close to the music system as they gave a higher signal output.

Kind regards, Steve.

CharlieWednesday
      GOLD Member
        • Liverpool
        • Topics Started 10
        • Total Posts 26

Yes that’s what I thought, thanks for confirming.  I do actually already have a NAD phono stage which I used to use with a different setup, but it does rather spoil the whole Beolink thing – I would not be able to control my Beogram 3000 with the 8500’s remote, if it were not directly connected.

Shame, but there it is.  Thanks for the help.

CharlieWednesday
        GOLD Member
          • Liverpool
          • Topics Started 10
          • Total Posts 26

I’ve seen a Beocenter 8500 on eBay that I like the look of (and it’s local collection) but there is something I’m not quite sure on.  I know that at some point in the 80s or 90s B&O started to build the phono stage into the turntables, I think that happened from the Beogram 3300 onwards but I coould be wrong.

My question is: does this mean that the Beocenter 8500 will expect a turntable with a built in phono stage?  I have a Beogram 3000 – would I need an external phono stage to connect that to the Beocenter 8500?

CharlieWednesday
          GOLD Member
            • Liverpool
            • Topics Started 10
            • Total Posts 26

Just an update on this – the BV8500 does in fact have a phono stage – I have bought once since leaving this message and am now using it!  Of the Beocenter 8000/8500/9000/9500/9300 range, I believe it was only the 9300 (the latest version of this BC unit) that does not have a built in phono stage.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoCenter Beocenter 8500 – phono stage?

• You must be logged in to create new topics.