Beocenter 2200 – no phono and smoking

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions Vintage Products Beocenter 2200 – no phono and smoking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    hmm
    BRONZE Member
      • Topics Started 3
      • Total Posts 7

I finally brought my Beocenter 2200 down from the loft. It’s not been used for 20+ years. I hooked it up to the original Beovox speakers, powered it on and the FM radio came on loud and clear.

I then put a record on the turntable, pressed the Phono button, the arm moved to the disc, lowered and – nothing! No sound at all, though I could make out Sir Elton quietly and tinnily at the needle.

After a minute or two of trying – POP!, strong smell of burning, and smoke coming from near the power button. However the FM was still working loud and clear and the smoke stopped after a minute or two.

Is it a gonner?

Many thanks folks.

hmm
      BRONZE Member
        • Topics Started 3
        • Total Posts 7

Hi again. Finally managed to open it up today. Thought I might find a blown capacitor somewhere near the power supply, but nothing obvious. Please see the photos.

Also, since I opened it up…

• The stylus skips across the vinyl when it lands – presumably increasing the weight from 1.5 will fix this, though turning it backwards to do this seems counterintuitive
        • The phono arm now swings back a little further than it used to, so it rests more hidden than before and no longer at 90 degrees (to the front of the machine). I can’t figure out why, or what to adjust to fix this
        • The phono ‘pause’ has stopped working, i.e. lifting the arm

However, for a little while I did get some sound from the phono, though it was broken and ‘growling’.

Any further suggestions appreciated.

Many thanks

2200 Power Supply

Mark-sf
        BRONZE Member
          • Topics Started 0
          • Total Posts 203

Since this occurred when using the turntable and the FM still works I would check the solenoid circuits 21RL1 and RL2 sad their switching transistors 19TR4 and TR5. These would also explain the Pause not working. There are adjustments for arm position and balance in the service manual to solve your alignment and tracking issue.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions Vintage Products Beocenter 2200 – no phono and smoking

• You must be logged in to create new topics.