Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoCenter BC 9500 Cassette Mechanism Versions?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    auric
    BRONZE Member

Hi:

The BC 9500 came with two different cassette mechanisms. The early production units came with a 2 motor mechanism that required connection to a small circuit board mounted on the bottom of the chassis before going to the controller board (this is the big circuit board mounted right  behind the sliding doors).

Later production units used a single motor mechanism and it connected directly to the controller board.

Does anyone know if the two cassette mechanisms are interchangeable with the tape controller board? In other words, can I swap one mechanism for the other using the same controller board?

Thanks,

Derek

Dillen

The drives are not interchangeable.
        The controllers are also different.
        – And the controller holds all the alignment trimmers etc. Setting all this up to a new drive is a HUGE task.
        I would recommend keeping paired drives and controllers together.

Is there an issue with a drive?

Old version:

1015 Beocenter 8500 Tape controller (Single belt)

New version:

1007 Beocenter 8500 Tape controller New version (Three belts)

Martin

Die_Bogener
        BRONZE Member

Replacing the drive? Why?

Problems with the 2 motor drive?

Broken worm gear wheel?

auric
          BRONZE Member

Hi Martin:

Thank you for this valuable information! Really appreciate it.

I have the single motor version of the cassette mechanism. The problem is that the plastic mounting brackets are all crumbling apart. The weak points are where the self tapping screws attach to the mechanism. It is unavoidable because you must remove the plastic cover at some point to replace the belts.

I tried finding donor parts but they are equally all fragile. I have tried epoxy and various glues but the plastic is too fragile.

The plastic cover on the dual motor cassette mechanism does not have this problem because the plastic cover simply clips onto the mech.

So I thought to simply swap the mechanisms instead?

Martin, maybe you can make an aftermarket replacement 🙂

Derek

Die_Bogener
            BRONZE Member

Ahja, the broken drive cover. No, i dont have this spare part, just looked for it. But i remember a drive with this cover… just where?

But i found this…

… 3164882 Cover Beocenter 9300. New.

auric
              BRONZE Member

Hi Die:

I’m curious, was the 2 Motor mechanism better than the 1 Motor mechanism?

Why the change? Cost reduction?

Derek

Die_Bogener
                BRONZE Member

Hmmm, i have both drives. Or even 3 variations, the Beocord 5500 has another older type of drive.

BC6500 is the 2 motor drive, BC7000 just 1 motor.

I think, the 1 motor drive is a little bit faster switching from side to side… and less parts.

I do not hear a difference in sound quality, since the signal path is almost identical. It’s just the speed switching sides or rewinding to the next title.

But probably it is the availability of the drives. They are not from B&O itself… B&O had to buy them from a supplier.

Dillen

Beocord 3500, 4500, 6500, 7000 were all produced with both drive versions.
                    As were Beocenter 8500, 9300, 9500.

As mentioned already the two drive versions are very different mechanically and not interchangeable,
                    but I can’t tell any difference in sound quality between the two versions either.

Martin

auric
                    BRONZE Member

Thanks Die, Martin:

I was just curious why the changes.

Other manufacturers at the time marketed 3 motor mechanisms as being “better.”

ie wow/flutter and capstan stability.

It’s easier for me to keep the existing mechanism. Just need find another mechanism mount that doesn’t have the crumbling plastic problem.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.