Avant 55, replaced video engine, screen and now speaker

Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoVision Avant 55, replaced video engine, screen and now speaker

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    scanorama99
    BRONZE Member
      • Topics Started 5
      • Total Posts 9

I have a Beovision 4 50” from 2004 which still works. Never had any issues with it. I recently upgraded to an avant 55 used. During the first year at my place I have replaced the screen due to burn in from previous owners, video main board stopped running completely, had to replace it.

3 weeks after I got the tv back home the motor that retracts the speaker up when I shut the tv off tries to move the speaker up before it moves in horizontally so it just gets stuck. The next time I start the tv and shut it off it works again but fails again when tv has been on for the evening.

b&o repair center says “oh well it sounds like the electronics there are about to fail, we usually replace the whole speaker module.”

Great! I guess another one-months-salary is going to be wasted for no reason!
      Did they not charge enough money for these when they were new to fund them to use high quality components? Was it not like 6000 euros?

During my previous video engine repair session the repair center apparently had another customer with a broken avant speaker module.

My friends are already having fun joking about my bad judgment for buying an old expensive tv and it has already cost me a fortune in repairs. Now I assume the speaker will be very pricey to replace as well. Does anyone have any experience on price?

Other b&o gear I tried have worked better but especially this tv seem to be very good business for the repair centers since most people now don’t have any warranty left.

Why is this tv so badly engineered and why is b&o charging the equivalent of a new best in class tv just for the replacement part of the screen when it is 8 years old tech?

I know I am rambling here but I am just so mad at this point. An 8 year old tv should not have this much issues at this price point. If it was a cheaper model I would have thrown it out the window a long time ago.

I even read in another thread here that the replacement video boards last about 16 months then it breaks again. That is even worse than a cheap aftermarket laptop battery but this is the video engine.. unbelievable….

scanorama99
      BRONZE Member
        • Topics Started 5
        • Total Posts 9

I actually remember I spoke to a repair guy at a b&o service center in another city and I asked if it was a good idea to buy the avant 55 mk1’s used. He said “well basically all video engines on those models fails eventually.”

I thought “hmm that can’t happen on all, maybe I’m lucky”

Nope!

Is this not a fabrication error that should be fixed (for free) even after the warranty has run out?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Forums Product Discussion & Questions BeoVision Avant 55, replaced video engine, screen and now speaker

• You must be logged in to create new topics.