Avant 32 turned into a high-definition TV

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    delite
      • Topics Started 1
      • Total Posts 5

Avant 32 TV turned into a high-definition TV maintaining the original sound system

Millemissen
      BRONZE Member
        • Flensborg/Danmark
        • Topics Started 27
        • Total Posts 806

Awesome!

I do not understand much of it, but I certainly see, that you – and your friends – have done an amazing job.

Kudos to you 👍

MM

delite
          • Topics Started 1
          • Total Posts 5

20211107_155923

20211122_185642

20211122_185609

Thanks:-) these images, from November 2021 are from the beginning of the project!

kirin
            • Topics Started 3
            • Total Posts 53

Hi, that is a nice project, thanks for sharing, including the up and downs. (where we all learn most…)

I liked the sentence „And it is salvation for the brain from time to time to escape from our daily life.“ 😉

I d like to ask whether color management of the Phillips had to be adjusted afterr being finally mounted behind the glass screen?

And, how are external devices plugged in? Especially regarding the sound connection. I assume,when following the traditional connection, all is ok wrt the sound. But do you have already a solution for hdmi inputs? (eg blu ray disk sound)?

Best regards

delite
              • Topics Started 1
              • Total Posts 5

Thanks.
              Oh, colour management of the Philips… good question. I must admit I didn’t give it much thought. Little difference noted at the time so I didn’t make any adjusting. I think maybe some would find the light needed to be increased a little;-)

Sound connections. The sound from the Philips is connected to one of the scart inputs of the Avant. I use the optical sound output of the Philips and with an Argon D/A converter the digital sound is made analogue and via one of these scart converters with RCA connectors on the one side and scart connector on the other side connected to one (of two) scart inputs on the Avant.
              External devices like a Blu-ray-player I connect directly to one of the hdmi inputs of the Philips. My Chromecast is also directly connected to a hdmi input on the Philips. And the last hdmi input on the Philips (it has 3) is reserved to the Avants “double image” signal for menu setup of the Avant.

armandc1
                • Massachusetts, USA
                • Topics Started 1
                • Total Posts 4

WOW!

That is an unbelievable project, amazing job! Avant 32 is an absolutely beautiful icon of B&O and this is an amazing way of keeping it alive. That is the reason I keep my rare USA NTSC MX5000 running on my MCL2 system, it integrates beautifully with the system and its so damn beautiful. But its a shame its so terrible with viewing modern content that its now in a spare MCL room.  I would love to do something like this but what a shame that it is 4:3 so pretty unviable.

delite
                  • Topics Started 1
                  • Total Posts 5

Thanks. Yes the 4:3 ratio of the MX5000 is a drawback now we’ve got so used to 16:9.

Here’s a couple of situation images.

20221022_133349

Above, the Avant 28 working with a Gordon Goodwin DVD running at work;-)

20221023_153318

And the Day after (October 23rd 2022) now working at home on the Avant 32. And there’s lots of space in the Avant for the “bread board” lying on top of the TV;-)

9_LEE
                    • Eastbourne England
                    • Topics Started 14
                    • Total Posts 43

All i can say is ‘Wow’. Really.

The Avant 32 is one of the finest and most iconic TV’s ever made – and bringing it up to 2023 is like making an E-Type Jaguar into a fully compliant Euro6 spec car.

So impressive. Well done.

Lee

delite
                      • Topics Started 1
                      • Total Posts 5

Thanks Lee, and here’s another picture…

20221023_153410

The bread board as it was moved from work to home. Starting from right, the PCB3 video output with the grey flat cable to be connected to the RGB video processor from PCB2 and the coloured 5-wire bundle to be connected to PCB5 “deflection and EHT”.

In the middle, the RGB amplifier connecting the PCB3 with the HDMI converter (if you look carefully you see the small PCB between the RGB amplifier and PCB3 containing the three 270Ω resistors).

To the left, the HDMI converter. Don’t comment the neatness… I know, but it works.
                      And the bread board… it’s a piece of teak wood;-)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Not too long

Please do not use the website at the moment,

We will be back very soon

This will close in 20 seconds