Audio Origin Retip or Soundsmith New?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    GessWurker
    BRONZE Member
    • Topics Started 1
    • Total Posts 2

Hi – Does anyone have any experience with retipping performed by Audio Origin in the UK? (https://www.audio-origin.co.uk/)

I’ve just acquired a Beogram 1700 w/the original MMC20EN and need to get a second cart. Need to decide whether to go with Soundsmith (as I have in the past) or give Audio Origin a go. My choices: A freshly-rebuilt MMC20EN from Audio Origin or a new SMMC20EN from Soundsmith. Any thoughts? Experiences? Recommendations?

Cheers!

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by GessWurker.
    adyan
    BRONZE Member
    • Topics Started 1
    • Total Posts 12

Hello,

also interrested what the recommendation or thoughts are…

Regards

chartz
    GOLD Member
    • Burgundy
    • Topics Started 3
    • Total Posts 114

Soundsmith, definitely AFAIC. That’s what I’ve been using for years. BUT the sound is brighter than any B&O cartridges, more up to date and CD-like.

GessWurker
    BRONZE Member
    • Topics Started 1
    • Total Posts 2

Yes. I had an SMMC1 that, even after some years of use, remained too bright/harsh for my ears. When I mentioned this to Peter Ledermann, he suggested a custom rebuild with a Boron cantilever and low mass CL stylus. Went ahead with that. And now, I love my (custom) SMMC1. (Note: Before moving forward with the custom rebuild, Peter confirmed the stylus was still in very good shape. The sound my ears didn’t like wasn’t due to any stylus defects.)

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by GessWurker.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.