Arm balancing for Beogram 1800 type 5811

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    SimonR
      • Topics Started 1
      • Total Posts 3

I need advice on how to balance the tonearm of a Beogram 1800, type 5811.
      Two problems. First, the arm is not floppy unless the turntable is spinning. Second, when the counterweight unscrewed fully, it hits the case but doesn’t raise the stylus end.
      Can you advise on the correct procedure to achieve balance?

Mark-sf
        • Topics Started 0
        • Total Posts 258

The arm should be in the recording playing mode and then the weight should be adjusted to zero tracking force. Then you rotate the numeric dial without moving the weight so that zero is a 12 o’clock. At that point you rotate the entire weight to the desired tracking force.

SimonR
          • Topics Started 1
          • Total Posts 3

To get into ‘record playing mode’, I guess the only way is to start playing a record, then cut the mains.

I have tried to adjust to zero tracking force by winding out the weight. However the weight hits the cover while the arm is still resting on the record.

This video shows the actual player and its automatic control of the arm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyKpejRJfbQ

Mark-sf
            • Topics Started 0
            • Total Posts 258

You don’t need to cut the mains. Simply carefully pick up the arm once it has moved to the record and move it back supporting it on any item that is high enough to keep the stylus from touching the top. You can also take the platter off and with the 45 adapter depressed press play and it will move over and lower.

Assuming the arm is truly lowered, then the weight should not be hitting the rear at zero grams as applying 1 gram is only 1/2 turn of the weight.

SimonR
              • Topics Started 1
              • Total Posts 3

Your suggestion for releasing the arm worked fine.

However the counterweight still hits the cover at the back before balance is achieved. With the counter weight just clear of the back, the arm rests on the record but so lightly that the anti-skate stops the arm going in. I simply added 1g (half a turn) and am now using it on that setting.

Mark-sf
                • Topics Started 0
                • Total Posts 258

That is fine. Check the spec for your cartridge as some need 1.2 grams.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Not too long

Please do not use the website at the moment,

We will be back very soon

This will close in 20 seconds