Home Forums General Discussion & Questions Advice better use LG TV apps or Apple TV

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Beofan67
    BRONZE Member

Hi guys,

I wonder what gives better picture and sound quality on my BV Eclipse when using streaming services: use the current LG apps or the latest Apple TV 4K?

What would you recommend?

Thx for the advice and Happy New Year!

DHA
      BRONZE Member

I think it is marginal (I use a Sony OLED and have compared). The thing I prefer is the integration that Apple TV has vs individual apps. I stream everything on my TV as we went satellite free 18 months ago. I can watch a programme on iPlayer for example and on the Apple TV this appears in the “up next” list – using the built in app on the TV if I click on this it opens the page up and says where I can view it, so I then have to open the built in iPlayer app on the TV and manually select it. On the Apple TV I just click on the programme in up next and it automatically opens the iPlayer app in the Apple TV an plays straight away.

beojeff
        BRONZE Member

I’ve been comparing the same, myself. I believe I notice richer colors when streaming directly though the LG apps. Yet, the video on the Apple TV seems more natural. I’m not quite sure which is actually better.

Audiophile
          BRONZE Member

Theatre 65″ LG, 2 x 18 Front, 2 x 17 surround and 19 bass.

I am getting best results from the latest Apple TV 4k. I have my video format set to Dolby Vision but then use 4K SDR and match range and frame rate set to on. Select Chroma 4:4:4 and the TV adjusts to the originally intended format instead of “forcing” it to play 4K HDR. If it is Atmos content the TV will automatically pick it up even in SDR setting and the picture quality and indeed sound appear higher than played from LG’s Web OS App.

Millemissen
            BRONZE Member
              • Flensborg————Danmark

Hi guys, I wonder what gives better picture and sound quality on my BV Eclipse when using streaming services: use the current LG apps or the latest Apple TV 4K? What would you recommend? Thx for the advice and Happy New Year!

You can – and should – tweak both the tv and the ATV (as was described in the previous post).
              There are tons of articles and YT videos about both out there.
              I doubt there will be much – if any – difference then…..in real life.

The more important thing will be how you use the apps.
              I’d say, if you already have the ATV4K box, use this – if you haven’t go for the tv apps.
              One advantage of using the apps of the tv is, that you can access these directly from the BROne……if you need this.
              An advantage of using the ATV box is, that you can access the same content at the place/time of video playback where you are, if you move to another room with another ATV box and you can have the same/syncronized home screen layout on all devices – should you have more boxes/more tv’s in the house.

Personally I have used the ATV boxes previously with all my 3 tv’s and continue to use one on the Theatre setup – I never see the apps of the LG tv.

Either way you can have excellent picture and sound…..assumed that you have made the right settings.

MM

Beofan67
              BRONZE Member

Thx all for your replies. For now no reason for me to buy the latest atv 4k box.

SimonWeir
                BRONZE Member

I have ATV boxes on both my TVs (connected to LG G2 and BeoSound Theatre, as well as to a LG C9 and BeoSound Stage).  When I got my Theatre I upgraded my ATV 4K to the 2022 model and it is quicker than the older 4K box.  As MM has said, it is how you use the device.  I have them all synchronised so I can start a movie in the Kitchen and finish in the Lounge.  The real win with the Theatre for me is the quality of Apple Music, especially as most of the new music is in Atmos.  In fact I have created a new music group of 7.1.4 as an alternative to my normal music of 4.1 using 4 x BL17 + BL19, as I find using the Theatre as well makes the sound so much more engaging.  For the money (£149.00 – £169.00) a new APT 4K 2022 is a no regret choice.  I recommend the Lan variant.  If only because every Apple reviewer has said this is better than their TV app, and I can say mine using PUC and with the box integration is part of how I like to live in my home, plus with the A15 chip and HDMI 2.1 and all the onboard memory it must be more capable in the decoding than a download app.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.